“This place is a dump”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Elizabeth City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“This place is a dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

We spent one night here and what a dump this place was. It was late when we checked in, but I should have known something was up when walking up the concrete steps there was trash on the steps. Note even the next day when we were leaving I saw the "cleaning" crew and I use the term loosely, walked right by it and did not pick up the trash. The room was clearly outdated and was not clean. My wife and kids would not take a shower after looking at the bath tub. Whatever you do avoid this dump!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank dkglas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

I had read the reviews and forgot to take the list with me. Now I know why the reviews were not so great.
My friend booked the room and told the people that we would be arriving late. We got there
after midnight because we got lost. When my friend called the hotel the receptionist who answered
was very nice and patient and sort of told us how to get there. The GPS did not recognize a divide in the road where there was just a big red stop sign it was just too dark. She made a left turn and got lost again and came back around and turned right this time and finally got there . We were going to stay two nights but left the next day.

When we got into the room my friend was so tired from driving she just plopped on the bed. On her bed was a strand of hair. On the bed I was going to sleep on , one of the pillow cases had two small stains on it. I went and showed the pillow to the girl so she could see it for herself.
She was understanding but it was too late at night to do something. She offered us another room be we were too tired from the very long drive. The room was originally for $79.99 and she discounted it for $71.00 better than nothing I guess. I slept with the clothes I arrived in . No way Jose was I going to change into my pj's.
The room looked like it had not been vacuumed and there were crumbs by the night table on the floor.
To me it looked like someone had stayed there and they just just straightened up a little bit. Compared to the other hotels I stayed it the rest of the week the pillows looked like they were just fluffed up after someone just used them.
The breakfast the next day was fairly good and the young man(Justin) was really nice and courteous . So that was one good thing.
I would not recommend this hotel for families or couples or women traveling alone.
This hotel would be good for truck drivers, maybe college buddies, sports buddies(etc) more in staying overnight for rest or hanging out for a few days.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank islaoriental
newark new jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

My wife and I were on our return trip to New Jersey. We had been driving for about 10 hours and needed a place to stay to recharge. Not being from the area we stopped at the first hotel we came to in Elizabeth City. It was about 1030pm when we checked in to our room. What a mistake!!! No towels, carpet was dirty, room was musty(wet carpet) looked as though it needed to be dusted, microwave was not clean. We complained to the front desk about the issues to the room. we managed to get towels about 20 minutes later. We wanted to change rooms but found out that there were no other rooms available with micro-fridge. Breakfast was the only good part of our visit thanks to a nice wait staff. My wife an I left shortly there after eating. I can not imagine any one staying more than a day here. Had we known better we would have not stayed. please dont waste your money. I plan to stay else where if we stay in Elizabeth city again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank newarkman
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

but the general level of maintenance was unacceptable. The sink stopper did not work. The bathroom door squeaked loudly enough to wake my wife when I opened it during the night . The batteries of the TV remote were dead. Many years ago I worked in a good hotel. The manager there chose an unoccupied room to sleep in each night. If he found something wrong he raised hell. He would have been apoplectic over this one!
Breakfast was surprisingly good! The room location was quiet.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank AlecW
Homer Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

In the early 60's this was probably a good hotel- rooms to the outside, cement steps up to the second floor. Entry to lobby was clean and invited. Getting to the room was a different story. We parked in the back lot and walked through cigarette butts and dirt to the stairwell leading up to the room. The cement had huge stains all over and was downright creepy. The room had been renovated - good comfortable beds, but the room had not been vacuumed. There are papers and trash on the floor. There were no outlets at the desk for the computer so I had to run the cord to the outlet by the bathroom sink. Two lightbulbs were burned out - had to take them to get replaced. Good breakfast choices, but got cold scrambled eggs, one tablespoon of cold hashed browns, two bacon strips and 1 piece of cold white bread (no choice on type of bread). Waiter was very nice.
You could hear talking through the walls (floor) for people in adjacent rooms.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DonnaBAlaska
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

Great breakfast delivered to your table (4 choices). Microwave and refrigerator in room. Wireless and ethernet high speed internet connections available. Pleasantly surprised by this budget hotel! Comfortable pillows and bedding. Would definitely return on next business stay.

Stayed July 2008
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel several times because of their reasonable rates. I will never stay there again. We checked in and left to return at 11:00 PM. There was an unbelievable amount of noise in the room next door. It got worst as time went on. I finally fell asleep at 2:00 AM.
The next night it was the same story, but worst, There were many young adults outside of our room, cursing and screaming. The same people in the next room were throwing furniture and the same problems as the previous night. I was terrified. I could not leave my room because of the crowd and called the front desk. They called the police and a few hours later, I was able to sleep.
When I spoke to the front desk, they said they have no control over who stays at the hotel
Avoid this motel at all costs!

• Liked — Their rates
  • Disliked — The noise and uncarring staff!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank sugarking