“Jerk Burger with sweet potato fries”

Island Breeze Grill
Ranked #19 of 109 Restaurants in Elizabeth City
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Best burger in Elizabeth City! Burger is spicy, moist, and served on a great bun. The sweet potato fries go great with the burger.

1  Thank hopemalott

Reviewed June 12, 2014

While I only got takeout, the jerk chicken dinner I ordered was phenomenal. The dinner is big enough for 2 to split with just enough spice to make it enjoyable but not too hot to make it miserable. Collards and mac and cheese are amazeballs.

1  Thank SandSunSurf85
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It was my first time there. I found the decor to be tasteful and elegant. I was looking forward to trying the food since I had heard so much about it.
The band out in the cold was
Set to perform. Although I found it odd, the way you order is by checking off your choices on a piece of paper but I guess that was just because it was a special menu. I had heard about the Cajun chicken with
The angel hair pasta. The cornbread was very tasty. I chose the Cajun chicken and was given a side salad to start with. The salad was very fresh and delicious. When my meal arrived I thought wow!huge portion of food . I tasted it and found it to be seasoned good but was expecting a little more kick to it since it said cajun. I ate half of it because the portion was large. The waitress was very attentive and polite. All in all I would definitely eat there again. My husband had the Mac and cheese with the BBQ chicken. I tried the chicken, it was moist and delicious. Mac and cheese was great. I really enjoyed the band and food . I will definitely be back.

1  Thank rocknrollmomma
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have been to this restaurant 3 times. I am really trying to give them every opportunity to prove itself. Tonight was a special night as they had a live performance of a bluegrass band (Nu-Blu) performing (7-8:30p) and they had prepared a special, “simple” menu for the occasion. Three choices of chicken: 1) turkey with gravy and stuffing, 2) barbecued white meat chicken, 2) barbecued dark meat chicken, and 3) cajun-style chicken on a bed of angel hair pasta. (Please notice the qualifier “simple”.)

We arrived at about 5:45p - 4 of us. The hostess first did not have the reservation, then after some brief discussion she found it. We were seated in a booth opposite the performance area. Perfect! The table was set ONLY with a knife and fork wrapped in a tissue thin napkin. NO spoon.

After we all settled in and ordered our drinks (iced tea all around), the waitress delivered a basket of cornbread and butter - but NO PLATES! What are we to do with the bread while we are buttering it, and nibbling on it?
I ordered the BBQ Chicken as did another in my party. That came with 2 sides Mac & Cheese and candied yams. Another ordered the Turkey with the same two sides.

The chicken was moist and had good flavor, but you could tell the BBQ sauce was slathered on at the last minute and kept in the warming oven until needed. The mac and cheese was - just OK. The candied yams were over the top - sweet. I could not finish the yams. The person in our party that ordered the turkey plate managed to eat maybe half of it, and sent it back to the kitchen unfinished. It was actually some sort of processed turkey. He ate the Mac & Cheese and a little of the yams.

I asked the waitress about dessert - a logical question following dinner. She said "there is no dessert on the menu tonight" and disappeared. She did come back a little later to let us know that yes there are desserts available. I forget what the 3 or 4 options were but I ordered the double chocolate cake which was WONDERFUL - the food highlight of the evening.

Let me move on to the wait staff. Each time I have been to this restaurant I have encountered the same problems - the wait staff are totally inept. The setups on the table on arrival was a knife and fork wrapped in a tissue thin napkin. No spoons! We asked for some but never received them. Nothing to stir coffee or iced tea. The waitress was not accepting of bringing a pitcher of iced tea to the table (all four of us were having iced tea). Needless to say, our glasses rarely got filled during the evening. Refills took about 15 minutes. We were there from 5:45 - 7:30p. She was not aware of the menu, and what all of the offerings were, and in the end, she got the bill wrong.
I may give them one last try - on a slow night - but that will be it. I have read other reviews and others find the food wonderful and the service good. I find the food - overall - to be mediocre at best, and the service abysmal. I really hope this restaurant can make it, as downtown Elizabeth City desparately needs some night life brought back into it. But they are going to have to hire someone who knows the hospitality side of how to run a restaurant to make this work.
Oh - I almost forgot - the bluegrass band Nu-Blu was GREAT! Loved the show.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This place was once a friendly little hole in the wall called "Caribbean Cuisine." They sold, among other things, delicious jerk chicken with rice and beans, enough for two meals, at almost giveaway prices. It had no pretensions. The food was great and cheap and the waitstaff was bright and cheerful. Then things changed.

They bought a disused property in a failing-but-up-and-coming section of downtown Elizabeth City and sleeked it up with polished hardwood finishes, black paint and tropical fans. The waitstaff were given nice black uniforms. In short, the new place is high on style. Substance, alas, is missing.

What we took at first for new-place wrinkles soon to be ironed out have unfortunately remained. Placemats are still not provided. Spoons are still not part of the basic setup. (You want unsweetened tea with a sweetener on the side? That'll be saccharine ONLY, and you'll still have to ask for a spoon to stir it in with.) A decent cornbread comes in a basket for the table with all orders. It's nicely wrapped in a cloth to keep it warm. It comes with butter, and they give you a knife, so clearly they think you might want to cut up a piece of the bread and butter it. But where do you put the part you're not yet eating? Back in the basket? No bread plate is provided. The only other place is the bare tabletop (there being no placemat, as mentioned above). Friends say "well, this is Elizabeth City, what do you expect?" You expect minimum standards that are universally met even at the greasiest spoons in town, that's what. Especially at a place with these prices and these ambitions.

The food: as for that great jerk chicken, the cook has apparently decided that the old recipe wasn't authentic enough (or something) because now it packs such a heat wallop that it's barely edible by non-Jamaicans (the majority of their customers) and there is no choice in the matter of heat. The cook makes one batch and that's what you're stuck with.

Last night was a special night. They were filled to capacity because there was live entertainment. To accommodate the crowd, a special menu was all that was available, with no Caribbean food in sight. There were four choices of entree: barbecued white meat chicken, barbecued dark meat chicken, cajun-style chicken on a bed of angel hair pasta, and turkey with gravy and stuffing. The barbecue was sauced with generic bottled sweet stuff; it was OK. The "cajun" wasn't really cajun at all but also tasted OK. The "turkey" was a different matter altogether: spongey turkey loaf covered with a brown liquid; the "stuffing" was a glutinous mass served on the side. Again, the beautiful looks of this place do not set you up for such poor quality. There really is no excuse.

Side notes: on this special occasion you placed your order by marking a menu and putting your name and table number in spaces provided. So far so good. But there was no price information provided. Prix fixe? Could be. Desserts? Not shown. One waitress said there were none. Another said there were; the latter turned out to be the case. Various styles of cake, none too bad. At one point a waitress offered to bring us a pitcher of unsweetened tea for her and our mutual convenience. That would have been welcome bright spot in this dining experience, but it was never to be. When we asked another waitress about it, she said a pitcher would not be possible.

We keep hoping this place will iron out the kinks and live up to its potential, but we're coming up on a year in this new location and still the basic deficiencies remain, with the new jerk recipe an added disappointment. The idea of Caribbean food in this relative desert when it comes to restaurant variety is so very appealing--that's why we keep hoping for improvements. One more time, then that will be all.

3  Thank rpcvghana6971