“Meh. Decent hangout, food decent but service is slow”
Review of Thumpers Downtown Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Thumpers Downtown Bar & Grill
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This place has been around a long time, and could really use some updating. It's a local's/Coastie hangout, and the food is okay. Probably mostly frozen stuff. Drinks are good, but service can be slow. Beware--even if you're 40, they will NOT serve you unless you have ID. Don't assume they'll serve you because you look your age.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The burger was massive and good, but the service was slow and the place was fairly run down (the men's room was disgusting). It looks like it might be a good place for a beer on Saturday night but I wouldn't recommend it for casual dining.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I bought a gift certificate for this restaurant on restaurant.com right before Christmas 2011. As we were walking in the door, I saw a notice that as of March 1, 2012, they were not accepting any more restaurant.com gift certificates. Great. In the end, they did agree to honor the certificate.

This place is set up with the bar on one side and the restaurant on the other, with separate entrances, and a passway in between. The carpet and decor in the restaurant side looked like the same stuff that was in there when I used to come to the bar 20 years ago in my single days. The carpet had lots of interesting stains, rips, etc. The decor was dingy, and the smell was bearable , but not pleasant. When we walked in, there were no wait staff to be found. Finally, I walked over the the bar side and found someone. We did get there early for supper (6ish), and it seemed the restaurant was just a passthru for the bar patrons. I had the ribs, which were good with a flavorful sauce., and there was enough to take some home They substituted a salad for the fries with no extra charge. It was a typical iceberg lettuce dominated affair. My wife had the fish and chips, which were hot, and very good according to her. My son got the mussel appetizer plate which was good. Prices are reasonable for this town, but we would not have come here had it not been for the gift certificate. I think Thumpers could attract a better clientele if they would upgrade the restaurant interior with new carpet and decor and remove the passthru to the bar side which smelled like frat house on Sunday morning. There are better dining choices including The Marina, Monteros, Cypress Creek, and Grouper's

Reviewed September 9, 2010

My BF and I live in VA and drive about an hour to this wonderful place quite often. The cost is cheap but nothing about the experience is. Great food, wonderful atmosphere and pleasant staff.

Reviewed June 3, 2009

i think that the food was very good. I miss the one of the former owners, his name is Mark Clarke and he was what made the place. The service was good and there was always a good crowd. The bouncer was Kevin and he was very good at his job. I will go the again and again, every time that i am in town.