“A place of living culture”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elizabeth City
Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast
Cologne, Germany
“A place of living culture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Culpepper Inn is a beautyful Bed & Breakfast , nesteled in the silence of the residential aerea of Elizabeth City. Great garden and pool. Each room decorated individualy. Outstanding breakfast prepared to perfection by Holly - the Inn keeper. The perfect place to relax and to feel well.
Great atmosphere !
Just an advice for business men - Go there instead to book the boring standards .
Klaus Weyers, Cologne Germany

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house. Here you can enjoy the full flavour of the atmosphere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ummk
HollyKEcity, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I am so very pleased you were able to include the Culpepper Inn in your vacation plans to the United States. Your family provided me great insight in to what travelers are looking for. I truly appreciate that. You made hosting you an absolute pleasure. I hope your beach stay was delightful and family enriching. I look forward to your return whenever the opportunity arises. Thank you so much for choosing us and for taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We came to Elizabeth City to attend my son's graduation from Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer School. I've really enjoyed staying in bed and breakfasts and the Culpepper continued the tradition of thoroughly enjoyable lodging while away from home.

The grounds were lovely with massive oaks and magnolias adorning the front lawn. Inside, the living areas were a classic potpurri of era furniture with modern photography and decor. Breakfasts were taken in the sun room off the living room which led to the backyard with swimming pool, koi pond, "gazebo tents," and more beautiful trees on the periphery.

We stayed in the Carriage House Suite over what was once the garage but has since been converted into the Tavern Room (more on that later). Our room was swathed from top to bottom in tongue and grove wood lapboard... somewhat rustic but the way we like it. Our friends stayed in the main house in the classic Crown Room with four-poster bed, pastel colors, hardwood floor and intricately tiled bathroom, which they loved, but they liked our Carraige House Suite better! Our bed (and our friends' as well) was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in; no tossing or turning, no back pain and I felt completely refreshed.

Because of early time constraints, we were only able to eat breakfast once of the three days we were there. Breakfast is from 8:00 to 10:00. Holly alternates her breakfasts from "sweet to savory" every other day so we experienced the sweet which was a French toast dish. It was very good but I regret not getting to try the "savory" breakfast. Holly was nice enough to recommend a bistro in nearby downtown that allowed us to attend the early commencement ceremony. Ditto our departure morning which entailed a lengthy drive to Norfolk to catch our flight.

The Tavern Room... what a great facility! It was set up as a small bar with the requisite barstools, and a large wrap-around booth with table. It had a refridgerator/freezer, wine cooler, popcorn maker, microwave, and wine glasses. They don't have a liquor license so it was strictly BYOB, but it was open 24/7 to guests. We wound up spending our evenings here, relaxing after the day's events and sipping wine. What a great venue!

Overall, the Culpepper Inn was a great destination and we'd all stay here again... although we might have to toss a coin to see who gets the Carriage House Suite.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Joe M
HollyKEcity, Owner at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
What a lovely description of your stay. I can assure you it was absolutely our pleasure to host all of you and we look forward to the opportunity again. You enjoyed the property just as we envisioned it to be enjoyed when we took over the Inn a few months ago. Thank you, thank you for your very kind words.
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

Although I initially had a very good impression of the place, I was very disappointed with the place and would NOT recommend the place to anyone, especially with children. After my husband had checked in the early afternoon, we were given a tour of the place and welcomed to use the facilities. Although small, the bedroom (The Balcony) was quaint. When my husband had to take care of some work-related business during the early evening, my 10 month son and I decided to check out the living room in the main house, especially since the bedroom was so small (could barely walk around the bed). We had been in the living room for less than 5 minutes, when one of the presumed workers reprimanded me for having my baby in there and told me that children are not supposed to be in the main house. At no time during the tour had it been mentioned that children should not be in the main house. So, slightly embarrassed, I returned to my room, thinking maybe it was on the piece of paper that we had been given when we checked in. When I check on paper, no where was it mentioned that children were NOT supposed to be in the main house. Therefore, unless you like being reprimanded after you paying for accommodations, I would NOT recommend Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast in Elizabeth City.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
23 Thank Jo T
Katewalker, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Unfortunately, this guest was not staying at the Inn and did not make the reservation when the children and pet policy was explained. She was visiting a guest that evening but came in town earlier for the day while the guest was at work. We generously offered to allow both she and her child to spend the day at the facility and gave them a tour of the common areas and complimentary refreshments they could enjoy while they waited all day for the guest to return. She also had access to the guest's own room at his request.

We have 11 total rooms and reserve the 4 in the Main Inn for a pampering and relaxing experience. People choose to stay here in the Main House to experience just that. We work very hard to meet that expectation.

We welcome families in any of our other rooms and numerous common areas and are very family accommodating outside this limited area.

Our staff member had to address this visitor after she had been on site for several hours enjoying numerous other spaces on site because she brought her baby in the formal living room of the Main House and allowed the baby to "play" the Grand piano in the living room while we had guests honeymooning and celebrating other special events staying with us in each of the 4 Main Inn rooms. None of these guests were expecting or welcomed this kind of entertainment and the staff member was responding to a guest's complaint.

As much as we would like to allow everyone to enjoy the Inn in their own personal way, we have to ensure our guests are being provided the experience they were promised.

We certainly never want anyone to feel embarrassed and this visitor was again offered all the other facilities we share with families. She in fact remained with us for the entire remainder of the day.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond and take great pride in making sure our guests interests are protected and pampered.
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

If your travel plans take you through the waterfront destination of Elizabeth City, NC, then plan on staying at the Culpepper Inn Bed & Breakfast. You will not be disappointed!
My husband and I had the opportunity to travel through Elizabeth City on business many times for extended stays and wanted a place different than the impersonal feel of a hotel. The welcoming home and innkeeper, took us in like we were family. This Inn offers all the comforts and homey touches of a beautiful southern Home. I don't know about you, but when I travel there is nothing like coming home.

Room Tip: "Loved this homey Inn" "Loved the Carriage house"
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank rena r
Katewalker, Manager at Culpepper Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
We are so pleased you had this kind of experience with us and took the time to tell others. Blessings to you & yours this Christmas Season.
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

Trust me, I've stayed at every hotel and B and B in Elizabeth City,
And my number one choice is the Culpepper Inn, "Holly, I'm home"!
Very comfortable, lots of places for private study or relaxing.
Walking distance to downtown, food, bars and riverfront.
I recommend it!

Room Tip: The Carriage House is the favorite.
Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Christopher R
Thanks for the encouragement and for choosing to stay with us. We never forget there is always a choice and welcome your return when your travels allow. Merry Christmas!
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Opening up a new terriroty for my company, in North Carolina, nessessitated that I stay two nights a week in Elizabeth City. After looking at several motels and a few B&B's I contracted with the Culpepper for two nights a week for an undetermined number of months. I have had nothing but the greatest experience with the Culpepper Inn. The new innkeeper, Holly, is a delight and her personal touches make the Inn welcoming, friendly, warm and inviting. Her homemade bakegoods for late night snacking, the decorations, the ease of check in, and her friendly smile makes my stay in North Carolina a pleasure rather than a chore. I highly recommend the Culpepper Inn and wish everyone a pleasant experience like I get every week with Holly's "Welcome Back".

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
We really strive to make our repeat customers feel like staying with us is like home away from home. We enjoy your return each and every time. Thanks for your kind words. It means a lot. You have our best wishes always & for this holiday season.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed for five nights in the Crown Room. Very nice, comfortable, and clean. Breakfast time was especially delicious and relaxing.The Culpepper Inn is within walking distance to many attractions, shops and restaurants in downtown Elizabeth City and its waterfront area. Elizabeth City is only an hour or so drive from the Outer Banks. We will definitely return to the Culpepper Inn.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimandDebM
Wow! Exactly what we hoped your stay with us would be like. You make this business more than just a business and we were delighted to host you for your special anniversary. We hope you can make it an annual tradition!
Blessings,