“A Unique Setting, a Satisfying Breakfast...But just "a little" lacking...”
Review of Pond House Inn

Pond House Inn
Chesapeake, Virginia
“A Unique Setting, a Satisfying Breakfast...But just "a little" lacking...”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Pond House Inn on the Friday and Saturday night of Labor Day weekend 2011. We originally had reservations for this property on the previous weekend, but Hurricane Irene came through our area and changed our plans. Our original reservation was in one of the inn's three luxurious rooms --- which is what we wanted for our anniversary. When we switched our reservation to the following weekend, we made the "assumption" that we would once again be placed in the room type we originally had.

When we arrived on Friday evening, the innkeeper was away from the property and not there to greet us. This is fine with me --- they have a life, too, and I do not need to be coddled 24/7. But we found our way to our room, and while it is a nice room, it did not quite fill our need for a couple celebrating their wedding anniversary. The room we were given has an outside entrance, with steps leading to a spacious room above the garage. It is listed as "The Suite" on their web-site. The room was very clean --- no problems there --- but it features two queen-size beds. The pine board walls also were reminiscent of a cabin on a lake in upstate New York. While our room, once again, was clean and comfortable, it did not feature the king-size bed we were expecting.

Now, while I stated earlier I did not need to be coddled 24/7, it would have at least been nice for the innkeeper, when she returned to the property on the night of our arrival, to check in on us to welcome us and see if everything was fine. This did not happen. When we met her the following morning at breakfast, she also failed to introduce herself to us and see if there was anything we needed.

The breakfast she prepared was truly delicious and satisfying! We had the opportunity to select numerous items from a menu the night prior (as well as our preferred time to dine) and leave it outside our door. Both my wife and I were so full that we skipped lunch.

The setting of the Pond House Inn is unique...an estate with a huge, man-made pond and five islands (with bridge walk-way access to each) over 100 years old. The pond --- possibly from the hot summer our area had --- was mostly covered by a lot of green algae...not the clear picturesque pond found on the web-site. There is a very large lawn to relax on.

The inn is situated in a very nice residential area --- great for biking along the river --- but is also not far from some neighborhoods that are not the best. If you plan to explore, get clear directions as to where not to go.

We had our sights set on using the inn's private dock to swim in the river, but the dock was torn apart...the innkeeper told us this was to prevent it from being damaged in the hurricane the week earlier.

The Sun Room, which was supposedly to be available to guests, looked like it was under some type of renovation: all of the curtains were down and laying on the furniture. The door was closed and so we stayed out. We could not use the dock and could not use the sun room, yet our room rate did not change to reflect this. I come from the background that you give a guest full-value of what has been promoted to them, and if you can't do it, then you either reduce the rate or offer them a little more.

These little things (no formal introduction, the different room type than what we were expecting, and parts of the facility we could not use) made this from a fantastic stay to one that was very good...still not bad...but I won't go back and rave about it to my friends.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice...the suite is best for small families are for couples who do not sleep in...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BandBs4Me
MarthaAJohnson, Owner at Pond House Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
It is always disappointing to us when we cannot not accommodate our guests' preferences. We make every attempt to ensure the guests' stay is wonderful and we try very hard to make sure all our guests leave happy. These particular guests had a reservation for the night Hurricane Irene was to arrive, and they cancelled that reservation and asked to rebook for the following week. Since it was a holiday to celebrate their anniversary, they did not want to wait longer. We certainly understood that, and we booked them for the following weekend. However, we were unable to book them into the same room because it was already booked. Instead, we gave them an upgrade to the Suite, at no additional cost. Had they told us they specifically required the room they had initially booked, we would have told them we could not accommodate their visit for the next weekend. But they did not. Neither did they elect to cancel and go elsewhere to find accommodations more suitable to their preferences, or to reschedule their visit. Most guests are delighted with the upgrade, so we were surprised at their complaint, but we would have tried to move them if they had requested to be moved.

Hurricanes in some way affect everyone in their path. Certainly we had prepared for the hurricane and protected the property as best we could. Even so, we did have some damage that we had not had time to repair. Most of our guests were sympathetic: In fact, no one complained that boards were off the dock or that draperies were drying in the sun room.

We are disappointed that these guests left a little disgruntled, but we do appreciate their comments and we are pleased that they complimented our facility and our made-to-order breakfast.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This was my first Bed and Breakfast trip, and definitely will not be my last!!! The Pond House Inn was fantastic! Ms. Martha(The Proprietor) was great. Breakfast was spot on southern cooking. The rooms were fantastic, location was beautiful as were the grounds. She was a great tour guide, telling us everything we needed to know, sightseeing and restaurants. Can not wait until I can get back there! I would highly recommend this B&B!!!!!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room!!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Jamestown, North Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I have to say I am extremely disappointed in this bb. My fiancé and I booked the weekend for her birthday and drove nearly five hours. In excitement on the way down we called for beach info and dinner recommendations and got no answer or call back. Once we arrived we realized there was a wedding and we weren't on the guest list. The owners left a sign with room assignments stating they were out and would return soon. Needless to say we did not have a room and waited two hours before the owner called us to say we were scheduled for the previous weekend and she was booked solid. We booked for the 17 and 18 of June and the fact that we never received a phone call to state we missed our reservation lends to the fact they overbooked. They certaintly had no problem taking our money and refuse to refund us. We were forced to pay a much higher rate and drive an extra hour to Kill Devil Hills in order to find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Call and confirm and demand confirmation
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sdrnc87
MarthaAJohnson, Manager at Pond House Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2011
We are always disappointed when we are unable to honor a request from our guests. Unfortunately, in this case, the guest booked the wrong weekend and failed to correct the date when the confirmation information was read back to them at the time of reservation. We always read back the date to prevent misunderstandings such as this. Unfortunately, they did not mean "next weekend," which would have been June 10 and 11, but the "weekend after next," June 17 and 18. Because they did not correct the date at the time of reservation or call to cancel the reservation for June 10 and 11, we had no choice but to hold the room for them. When they called on June 17 to say they were on their way I, regretfully, had to inform them that their reservation was the previous weekend, and we had a wedding that weekend which left no room available. Had we had room, we certainly would have accommodated them, but the wedding reservations were firmly committed six months earlier and could not be rearranged. We never overbook, and that is not what happened to them. We cannot know if this was truly a misunderstanding or simply a case of a guest deciding to change plans, however, in good faith we offered them a Gift Certificate for a weekend stay at The Pond House for another weekend of their choice.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 13, 2011

What a wonderful weekend! My wife and I visited The Pond House Inn for the second time, just to get away this time, and what a great time we had. We stayed in the Suite - away from the main house. The room was kept impeccably clean, and the bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The views of the incredibly landscaped grounds are out of this world. Martha's breakfasts are delicious warm. We just feel like, when we're at the Pond House, we've gotten away from the rest of the world, back to our peaceful, cozy home. We will be back over and over again.

Room Tip: the Suite has the largest bathtub
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed November 22, 2010

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves at the Pond House Inn in Elizabeth City, NC. It was awesome and I would suggest this Bed & Breakfast over any I've ever stayed at. The owner, Martha Johnson, was the best hostess and her cooking and hospitality are unmatched. It was a much welcomed change of pace for both of us and we will definitely be going back soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed November 20, 2010

We have stayed at the Pond House several times, and each time find something new to enjoy about the experience. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, with a touch of Southern elegance not found in many places. The owner will treat you to a full breakfast cooked to order, and then you can spend the day enjoying the luxurious grounds or relaxing in the library, or another of several open spaces. A very relaxing place to get some R&R.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 19, 2010

This B&B is a nice, quiet place to relax in a beautiful waterfront setting. My room was very nicely appointed Victorian style and I enjoyed a magnificent night's sleep each night of my stay. The innkeeper was warm and charming and fixed my breakfast as if I was the only guest she had! If there is such a thing as 6 stars this is it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Best Western Plus Elizabeth City Inn & Suites
Travelers Inn
Travelers Inn
#4 of 9 in Elizabeth City

Been to Pond House Inn? Share your experiences!