“Great food - wonderful service”

Sidney's Cafe and Bistro
Ranked #10 of 106 Restaurants in Elizabeth City
Cuisines: American, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sidney's Cafe & Bistro is located along the beautiful shore of Elizabeth City harbor, just 2 blocks north on E. Main St. We serve fresh homemade fare that is both, health conscious and delicious. Our hearty breakfasts and lunches are made with only the finest and freshest ingredients with daily homemade soups being a local favorite. Sidney's Cafe & Bistro creates uniquely satisfying salads, sandwiches and daily specials to satisfy a variety of palates. And of course, we can't forget to mention our famous Cheesy Bacon Meatloaf Sandwiches and our fresh baked Tuna Salad Melts. Come join us for breakfast, lunch, light snack or for dinner on Thursday, Friday or Saturday! You can even enjoy our fresh brewed coffee, cappucinos or a glass of wine, as you breathe in our small town friendly atmosphere!
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Sidney's Cafe and Bistro is in our top 4 for places to eat in Elizabeth City, Hertford and Edenton. We had a minor glitch with our lunch order today. The owner apologized and comped us our meal. It wasn't necessary, but gestures of good will like this go a long way to ensuring 'lifetime customers'.

BTW: their delicious bakery items are 1/2 off after 1pm on Saturdays. Worth a late lunch for scrumptious scones, cookies, etc.

2  Thank obrennan
Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2014

Thanks so much for your review. We need this so we may improve and know how we are doing.

There are newer reviews for Sidney's Cafe and Bistro

Reviewed August 9, 2014

I really like restaurants that I visit often to have consistency. This one does it well. It's easily the best breakfast in Elizabeth City and it's quite close to the public boat docking so it's a short pleasant walk. Be sure to tell your server if you are not from town because the restaurant will be packed with locals that can welcome you or direct you to whatever you are going to need. They serve dinner Thursday and Friday nights and it has a nice romantic date night kind of feel with fresh flowers on the table and softer lighting. This is another restaurant where the owner is almost always there. I would highly recommend it for a nice dinner before a show at the Arts of the Albemarle which is across the street.

Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Thanks for you words and yes consistent food is our goal! The restaurant does take on a different vibe for dinner. Our dinner numbers are growing but we would like to get more of the word out. Thanks for helping us do that.

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Food was very good. Crabcake in sandwich was tasty. Homemade chips excellent. Summer salad was a good meal with a very good combination of flavors. Almond cake for dessert was excellent.
They were very busy at Saturday lunch, so service was slower than expected. But the food was worth the wait.

1  Thank Paul_from_VA

Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed you lunch and yes when we are busy like Saturday it does take our small kitchen a bit longer to get everyone served. Thanks for choosing Sidney's and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Fresh food, pleasant staff, but overall the food was bland.

My 3 year old son enjoyed colouring on the paper tablecloth, and the 2 servers working stopped by to chat throughout our stay.

We ordered off the children's menu for our son (hotdog and fruit) and I had a chicken wrap, my husband a chicken sandwich. Both seemed to be made fresh with fresh ingredients but both remained a little bland. My husband was looking forward to the brie in his sandwich, but when it arrived it took a lot of searching to locate it.

Washrooms are outside the restaurant (but within the larger building) and down the hall. You have to walk with a key, and they're pretty dismal. Garbage was overflowing in the one I visited and I'm not sure it had been cleaned recently.

While waiting for our food I saw a mouse run along the floor just beside the counter and run behind it into the kitchen area. I didn't say anything, nor do I think it's a huge deal. I'm sure most businesses have (or have had) the same problem or worse, but it didn't make for great thoughts while waiting to eat.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it, but nor would I tell someone to steer clear.

1  Thank J N
Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback. Unfortunately for us, the bathrooms are for the entire building, but I can assure you we have them cleaned regularly..Also we do have a monthly inspection with a pest service as well. This is a very old building and with it comes these types of issues. I will definitely address you food concerns, and hope if you are ever in the area, allow me to do something for your past experience.

Thanks,
Karen

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We went there for dinner the other night and were disappointed that there were no gluten free dinner options. We both had to order salads and add grilled chicken. Every offering had either pasta, or was fired with some type of "breading" that neither of us can consume. Some meat/fish/chicken items + vegetable and salad options would be nice, as we would like to be able to frequent the restaurant. Many salads also contained "beans' and some of us do not eat those either. The wait staff was friendly, but too many people interrupted our conversation just "check and see we were ok".... very annoying.

Karen P, Owner at Sidney's Cafe and Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Sorry you were disappointed in our selection. We are a Very small kitchen, and I tell my staff if we have customers with special request, we will try to accomodate, but it is a very small Common Kitchen, and I would never want to mislead anyone thinking otherwise. We serve poached chicken, shrimp, as well as a number of proteins. The only thing we fry is , French fries, bistro chips, and a few specialty items. If only we had a bigger kitchen, as the six burner behind the counter is all we have. Thanks so much for your feedback, and will do our best to accomodate