“Not that great”

Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in East Bend
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was our second visit. Doors opened after the scheduled 5:30 . We were early for our 6:00 reservation; the restaurant had lots of free tables but the teenager at the door made us wait for at least 20 minutes. My rigatoni was pretty good, with homemade sauce and mozzarella. The rest of my table mates were neutral.to negative about their meals. The room is very noisy. Menu is very limited and heavy on pasta. The meal comes with a salad but bread costs extra. All in all just average food, below average customer service. We don't plan to return. We are from nearby Winston-Salem and get much better Italian food at some of the local pizza parlors.

2  Thank Forsyth

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have been here several times and have always enjoyed ourselves. Tonight we went, 7/27/13, with 2 other couples. The waitress was very nice, the food was scrumptious. We all ordered different foods and everyone enjoyed their entree. The salad with the house dressing was perfect. I think the tomatoes came from the garden behind the restaurant. The cream puffs are out of this world. There was light music playing in the background. The staff was incredibly attentive. We will definately be back.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I went with a group of 9 for a 8:00 pm reservation. The restaurant is in an historic building and visually charming. There's. tiny "bar" with three or four stools where you can review the wine/beer selection and grab a drink while you wait, but it pretty cramped and also a space where the staff stores things like tickets, so it's not the most inviting area. We got a half carafe of house wine for $15, and moved to the front porch to wait for our table.
Once we were sat, our server started with reserving cream puffs, which are supposed to be their flagship item. The menu is pretty simple and there's nothing on it that's very exotic. Your American-Italian staples like lasagna, fettucini Alfredo, etc. I had the spaghetti alglio de olio, which was good and I also had some of my boyfriend's gnocchi. The gnocchi was delicious and served over tomato sauce. Both of our meals were reasonably portioned, but I was surprised when my simple pasta dish and the small side salad that comes with it was priced at $15.50. This was the standard pricing for most of the dishes, including the ones that contained meat. The tomato sauce was pretty bland, which was disappointing considering it was advertised as being home made and simmered all day. The aforementioned cream puff arrived at the end and was the size of the entire dessert plate. It was also tasty, and a nice finish to the meal.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times. This review is not based on one "off" meal. Overall, I have to say that the food is dull at best. Decor is simple. Service needs serious work.

The food is mostly plain. It seems that they cater to customers who aren't inclined to have food with any herbs or spices. The tomato sauce has very little flavor which is the main ingredient in virtually every dish. Their hallmark dessert is a cream puff. You have to reserve this upon arrival. After three visits I cannot understand the draw for this particular item. It is a cream puff.

While the food is acceptable, the prices are a bit high. I can eat in nearby restaurant for lower prices with a much more interesting menu and more ambiance. Not sure why the prices are set the way they are. I have eaten at a nearby restaurant and had homemade pasta for less.

What really turned me off during this last visit was the notice from our server during our meal that a large group of 20 people was expected to come in soon and that we would have to leave our table by an assigned time! I have NEVER had this happen to me in any eating establishment. We were not ordering dessert and coffee and taking three hours. We were a group ordering meals, wine, and dessert and told that we had to move! All of this after the restaurant that says that they open at 5:30 did not open until 5:35 and then had to deal with the groups of people waiting outside to be seated. It was about 5:50 before we were seated and water was being brought to the table. The meal began with our server warning us that a group of 20 was coming in at 7:30 and then we received a warning again at 7:20. This is bad form, plain and simple. This alone makes me feel that I am unlikely to return. You do not do this if you run a restaurant.

4  Thank CobraB
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Kitchen Rosseli is by far one of the favorite "special" places that my family enjoys eating. It is authentic Italian cuisine - old family recipes - from the pastas, chicken, steak, seafood, to the absolute best cream puffs I have ever put in my mouth.

The restaurant is located in an old, refurbished hardware storefront that retains its original character - original hardwood floors - original shelving - wonderful ambient lighting, soft lights strung around the walls - soft, romantic music playing in the background. This is THE place I want my husband to take me on a date.

The lasanga is as light as a cloud - not heavy like most lasagnas - the Kitchen Chicken - a family recipe - is also another favorite as well as the eggplant parmesan and other Italian basics.

Make reservations because the restaurant is full to capacity every night they are open. As soon as you sit down (you may also want to call and do this ahead of time) request the number of cream puffs that you want for your dining party so that they can be set aside for you - yes, you have to reserve the cream puffs.

Love, love, love, love, love this place....