Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsgolf coursethe bull durham barfairview restaurantround of golffaculty clubelegant hotelsouthern charmbell staffcameron indoor stadiumself parkingwest campusplace to stayindoor poolbreakfast buffetcrab cakescommon areaschapel hill
Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you want to feel pampered and find a place to re-charge, The Washington Duke is an excellent place to be. There is a golf court, indoor pool and wonderful restaurants. The setting is right off of the Duke campus so if you want to take a brisk walk, the scenery is beautiful. The staff is well trained and very willing to help. The lobby always has a glorious fresh flowers.

Room Tip: Rooms near the golf entrance are less traveled and a bit more secluded.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Having grown up in nearby Hope Valley, my many trips back to my hometown are further enhanced by the WD&GC. Welcoming, efficient, elegant and hospitable. What else could one ask for in a fine hotel? If I had to nitpik, the food at the grill is far inferior to what is served in the main dining area. But other than that, I'm a lifetime customer.

Room Tip: Try and book far from the elevator.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stay here on a regular basis, as we attend most of the Duke basketball games. The games are a short walk from the hotel.

We usually stay in a suite and add one additional room. The rooms are small, but nicely appointed. The staff is attentive and responsive to requests and details. It is exactly what one should expect at this price point.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had great service and a pleasant room with a view over the golf course. There's a great bar on the ground floor with a nice cocktail menu. The gym was small but sufficient.I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SarahB2603
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This hotel is very nice. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. I am a grad student that has to visit the campus several times during my program and wanted to stay somewhere safe and I needed a shuttle to the campus so I wouldn't have to rent a car.

I found the best deal on the hotel website a few weeks before I left for my trip. They had a "3-night special" for $139/nt. It was comparable to a place I already booked so I decided to change my reservation to this hotel. The special only lasted a couple of days, as some of my classmates tried to get it and could not. The best deal I ever saw on Expedia/other sites was $159/nt, so I would recommend to check the hotel site or ask about this special when booking.

The hotel is very grand and beautiful. The rooms are VERY clean. The air in the rooms always smells fresh and clean which I have not experienced before. The Hilton has "clearn-air" rooms, but this smelled cleaner. It really seemed as if they had opened the windows everyday before I came back to my room.

I was originally in a ADA room on the 2nd floor, I am assuming because I had the special deal, which was fine at first. The room was clean and beautiful. The problem was the heavy handheld shower. My stay lasted 4 days and I could not use a handheld shower the entire time. Also, there was only a pedestal sink, no room for my toiletries. After the first night, I requested a room change and Sydney, a young woman at the front desk was very accomodating with my request.

The bellman even moved my bags for me to the new room since I had class all day. When I returned, I was in room 228 next to the elevators on the second floor. The room was grand and beautiful, but not quiet. I could hear girls laughing by the elevators and the front doors to rooms opening and closing every night until midnight and again the next morning. I really wished at this point I had stayed in the ADA room since it was quieter. I think there is another review on here from a guy who stayed by the elevators with the same problem. I would avoid this at all costs.

We went to eat at the Bull Durham restaurant on a Friday night. The place was packed with people and the wait for tables was long. We met the manager, I think his name was Alejandro? or something like that. After he found out we were staying in the hotel, he opened up the patio to seating with a heater so we could be seated immediately! Talk about first class service! And the food was phenomenal. I had a salad with homemade citrus fig dressing and the crabcakes. To die for. I had a Greensboro Hummingbird beer that was amazing as well. Best meal I ate while in Durham.

Overall, the stay was nice except for the door and noise issues. I enjoyed staying at this grand hotel. I am just a grad student, and not a dressy snob, but I was treated with the same first-class service as they would treat a king. I appreciate that. Just wish they would employ some noise-reducing measures for those rooms by the elevators.

Room Tip: Choose a room AWAY from the elevators. You will be hearing doors slamming and people laughing all night if you don't!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business