The University Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$118
$71
$129
$60
$89
All reviewscontinental breakfastduke medical centeryogurtshuttle servicecold cerealfree shuttlemed centerfinding a place to parkshuttle runsfridge and microwavestay there againrooms are cleanparking garageva hospitaltwo double bedseye centerlaundry room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2008

If you stay here, be advised that the staff is very rude and could care less about satisfying you. My room smelled like URINE and they did nothing except rudeley tell me that I can go next door to another hotel. The manager was not available to manage his RUDE staff. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. It was a nightmare and I will NEVER stay here again.

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank terryba
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My husband was sent to Duke Medical Center for some tests and we chose the University Inn for its location and because I had read the reviews on trip advisor. It is located one block from the main entrance to the hospital.

We were pleasantly surprised with our room. Since the rates were extremely reasonable, we did not expect to get a hugh room with two double beds, a microwave, a small refrigerator, a nice overstuffed chair, a couch, a small dining table with two chairs, and cable television. WOW!

Since we had never been to Duke, we did not know where the clinic we needed was located. That was not a problem since the University Inn supplies its guest with shuttle service. All we had to do was tell the driver where we needed to go and we were taken to the front door. When we were finished, we called the hotel and the shuttle was sent back to get us. That is what I call great service!

On the last day of our visit to Duke, we had to be checked out of the hotel by 12:00 PM. My husband had one more test to be done at the Medical Center and I asked if I could leave my car at the hotel and I would be glad to pay the $1.00 per hour that they charge to park in the parking garage of the hospital. I was told to leave my car there but they refused to charge me. That is not all! They let us use their shuttle to the hospital and also sent the shuttle back to get me when my husband was released at 5:30 PM. They did not have to do that for us. We were no longer guests of the hotel. I feel that they went beyond what most, if not all, hotels would have done. I will definitely tell everyone to stay at the University Inn if they are sent to Duke Medical Center for tests or as an outpatient.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank MiMi219
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My family and I stayed at the University Inn at Duke for one night while attending a reunion at Duke. I booked the hotel because I liked its close proximity to the campus and encouraged my friends to book there as well, but I was nervous that its low price would signify low quality. I was very pleasantly surprised.

While not luxurious by any means, the room was oversized with two full beds, a couch and recliner, and a fridge with microwave. Some hotel chains would call this a suite. The room was well maintained and clean. The beds were comfortable. The complimentary continental breakfast was basic but satisfying. The staff was very accomodating. All in all, for under $70, it was probably the best hotel stay I could have imagined. I will definitely stay there again when visiting Duke.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank KP_voyager
Reviewed August 5, 2004

During the 9 days that my sister was a critical care patient at Duke Medical, my husband and I stayed at the University Inn. I felt safe walking to and from the hospital by myself at all hours because the Inn is only one block away. I didn't have to drive or pay for parking, which is a problem near the hospital. The staff was very attentive to our needs and showed genuine concern for our situation. I highly recommend the University Inn if Duke Medical Center is the focus of your Durham stay. The facility does have some age, I would not choose it for a vacation, but for conveniece and affordability for extended stays in connection with Duke Medical Center, it is quite sufficient.

• Stayed: July 2004, traveled on business
18  Thank Butterfly28613
Reviewed November 1, 2003

On October 31, 2003 I stayed at the University Inn in Durham, NC. It looked like such a common man hotel on the exterior, I was shocked to find it so distinctively furnished and inviting.

The staff are extremely pleasant. The rooms are big and beautifully furnished. In the King Size non-smoking room, the sink is separate from the shower/commode area. The bed is extremely comfortable. The room surprised me with a mini-fridge, clock radio, AND microwave.

Best of all, continental breakfast was available with plenty of fruit, cereal, donuts, juice, milk, etc.

The hotel is $150/night quality, however it averages around $65/per night.

30  Thank m0nec1a