“Horrible Hotel”

Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Horrible Hotel”
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Visited for two nights for a residency interview at Duke. Desk staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Check into my nonsmoking room and it reeked of smoke. Complained and they refused to help as 'that's the way the hotel smells.' The cigarette smell was so strong it became apart of my clothes including my suite to interview in.

Cable and free wifi went in and out despite calm weather outside.

Do not rely on the free shuttle service to hospital as the displayed times change without notice and the desk staff does a poor job in relaying messages to the driver for pickups at Duke.

Only up side of this hotel is the price but for all the problems I wish I would have paid $20 more and stayed somewhere else.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank chite85
Abraham112008, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Dear Chite85,

I'm concerned about the various problems you recently experienced at the hotel,
and I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel
is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently,
it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests, and I want you to know that the concerns of our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

However, in order for me to resolve the issues you raise, I need additional information. Please contact me by e-mail or telephone with the name on the reservation, arrival date of your reservation, a confirmation number (if you can provide one) and any other facts you consider pertinent.

Once again, please accept my apology for any inconvenience. I look forward to discussing this matter with you upon receipt of the information I've requested.

Simran Ahluwalia
Ph: 919-382-3388
E-mail: simran@duke85.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Got to the hotel around 1:oo a.m. after a short flight from Nashville. We couldn't get into the lobby to register so we had to use the night entrance to get our room cards. Overall the hotel is not far from Duke University and is adjacent to a Crackerbarrel Restaurant. We discovered that the cold water didn't work in our room and reported it to the front desk on Saturday morning. Within a few minutes, a maintenance person was working on the problem. Our only real contact with staff and management was pretty good and we were satisfied with our stay. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel. Our room, 228, was in the corner of the building and didn't offer any scenery but it did make the room extra quiet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alafans
AmandaB_NC, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Duke V/s Alabama was a great game this season! We hope you get to make it out to next season's game should it be home for Duke. We have recently renovated and have been seeing many basketball fans this year. Such a treat for us to host the fans of our opposing teams!
Cedarville, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This inn has two floors of outside entry rooms and one floor of rooms that are accessed from an inside hall. Our room was clean, had two nice office type chairs. There was also a lap tray so a person could work from the bed. The breakfast included eggs and sausage along with the usual bread, cereal, waffles. We enjoyed the pool at the end of a hot day of travel. The only problem was the key cards would not open the entry door nearest our room.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank villemomoh
Thank you for visiting us in 2010. Our goal is to make 2014 the best year ever! If you head our way anytime this year, be sure to look us up!
spartanburg
Reviewed May 30, 2010

The public areas of the hotel are very tired, but decent breakfast and clean room. Only problem were small ants in my room--that smelled like pesticide when I killed them.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
I'm sorry you had trouble with ants when you stayed with us, but I'm glad you had a nice stay overall. We have newly renovated our building and are always looking to make improvements to offer the best service in the market. We hope you get the chance to check out our renovations soon!
New York
Reviewed April 2, 2010

We came here because my husband had surgery at Duke. There is a shuttle from the hotel to Duke for free. Hotel was very accomodating, helpful and friendly. I was able to have an important document faxed for free and used the computer and printer for free. Hotel is right next to a Cracker Barrel which was delicious. For the price it was worth it because we had to be here for 2 weeks. We would come back here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
AmandaB_NC, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
We have recently renovated our hotel and added some really nice features (such as a 32" LCD television). Come check us out soon!
NC
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We stayed in this hotel during our visit to Duke Medical Center. The rates were very reasonable compare to other hotels in the area. Check-in was very quick and easy. Also, we were welcomed with drinks and snacks from the manager - we checked-in during their manager's reception. The room was comfortable and very clean. It was also easier access to the room - they were able to get us first floor as we requested. Their breakfast was very good..more items than regular continetal breakfast. The best part was their complimentary shuttle to the hospital - which we were able to use to go to Duke Hospital next day morning. Overall, our stay was great and we will stay there whenever we visit Durham again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank DHKP
Hello, it's been a long time since you left your review for us. We are offering the manager's receptions again on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. It is a great way to leave a lasting impact on our guests. I do hope you stop in again and check out our renovations. We would love to hear from you!
Michigan
Reviewed June 8, 2009

large stains on sheets, no hot water in showers (other guests were heard to complain about this in the lobby), run down building, rude staff (I made complaint on check out, no apology at all - only acknowledged my compaints with a grunt).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank jbpahl
Ouch. I am so sorry that your experience was so negative. We have made great strides to improve our facility and customer service. If you come to Durham again anytime soon, please contact our hotel and ask for the Manager's Special. We would love the opportunity to give you a better impression.