“Won't be staying here again.”

Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park
Ranked #55 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Baltimore, Maryland
“Won't be staying here again.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed last year and found it pleasant & met all expectations. Not so this year. And I don't know where to begin. We were only there for 8 hours (I'm a choice member; arrived w/ reservation at 11:30 at night & left at 7:45 a.m) Was given an outdoor room facing the parking lot/highway. We were way too exhausted to hike back over & then try to communicate a room change through the night window which by the way, made me question how safe the hotel/motel is if you're not allowed inside to check in. The gap under the motel door measured a full 1/2 inch so cold air flowed in all night from the parking lot. (it was a cold night in the 30's.) The room shook from vibrations of trucks driving by AND any time the guest above us walked (creaked like an old haunted house). Floor was uneven. Couldn't get heater to work. Handle fell off. Noise from highway constantly woke us up. (would normally use the air to drown out sounds, but lack of controls made that difficult.) Son pointed out how bathroom was in sad shape. Shower handle (to turn on water) was totally off-kilter;positioned sideways. Water stream from shower turned into a trickle. Ran out of tissues (3 lone tissues in box.) Was told they "don't do" express checkouts. That's a new one to me; we spent the week in different Choice hotels, travelling across North Carolina & Virginia, and this was the first one that had such a policy. (The front desk clerk, to her credit, did her best to work the system to help me check out while my son was in the shower ; but I think her hands were tied by management policies?) Obviously I could overlook them not offering that convenience, but we were in a rush & my experiences over the past 2 years with Choice led me to believe that wasn't an unreasonable service. I'm learning to lower my expectations with this chain of hotels. I'd recommend looking elsewhere in Durham; there have to be better sleeping options in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to read about your experience with us on your return visit this year. I do hope you reconsider and give us another opportunity to meet your expectations. Room condition is very important to us and your experience is our first priority. We have only recently finished our renovations. All of our mattresses, televisions, carpeting, and bathrooms vanities are brand new.

Your concerns have all been noted and we are in the process of correcting these issues. We are checking that all of the door sweeps are installed correctly to prevent the drafts you mentioned. The heating and air conditioner units are being replaced each day. I am sorry you did not get to experience one of the newer digital units. I am terribly sorry that housekeeping overlooked the tissue box. You can request a folio be emailed to you instead of receiving a paper copy at the desk. This gives you the option of leaving your keys in your room.

Our hotel offers both interior and exterior corridors and guests can request their preference when they make their reservations. We are eager to do anything we can to make your stay more pleasant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Hawker, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The lobby is beautiful, the staff were very friendly and the room was clean. I was in one of the recently renovated rooms - gorgeous!! I was amazed it looks 20x better on the inside than on the out. I know they have a gym, but I didn't see that as my stay was short... the pool area even though it wasn't in use was clean too!

Room Tip: the upper floors are inside only.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time and offering your kind review of our hotel. It is an honor to have made your visit so pleasant. We hope to see you again, should you return to Durham in the future.
Kinnelon, NJ
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were looking for a clean bed to sleep in and a place to take a shower. This motel fit the bill. The lobby and breakfast area appear to have been updated recently and are pleasant; the woman at the front desk was friendly both when we checked in and checked out; the breakfast choices were what you expect at this type of hotel and at this price. The hallways are in need of a facelift and some serious cleaning - they are grimy. The room itself was OK - the bed was fine; the desk chair broken; the vanity apparently relatively new; the bathtub surround had a crack in it; a piece of tissue crumpled left on the bathroom floor, which was not the end. All in all OK but nothing moore.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We find feedback like your to be especially valuable as we decide where we will invest our renovation efforts next. It would help us to repair any maintenance issues in any rooms if you would be so kind as to report them to the hotel directly. We are eager to keep our rooms in top condition and work hard so that nothing is overlooked. While I'm glad you found our hotel ok, it is my hope that you would give us another opportunity to leave you with a better impression.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived at 1 AM - and I read reviews for other hotels in the area but this one appeared to be ok as the negative reviews had to do with construction, being woken up by maid staff, etc. To begin, the front desk staff was nice enough, they offer breakfast and the bed was pretty comfortable. On the down side, what appeared to be both women's and men's hair was everywhere on the inside of the shower. The bathroom tile was cracked and you could hear the tile shifting/grout crunching underneath our feet. One of our towels could have been extremely stained but there was what appeared to be a huge palm print on it where someone had taken off their foundation?!? At least I'm hoping that was what that it was!! Finally, our refrigerator started making weird popping sounds at 3 AM. I couldn't find a knob inside the refrigerator to turn it off so had to unplug it from the wall. Overall a big waste of $60.00, room didn't feel or look clean!!

• Stayed March 2013
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Your feedback is very valuable to us. If you would be so kind as to give us the date of your stay and room number so we can make the appropriate corrections and repairs. Please send this information to Amanda who is in charge of operations: amanda@duke85.com
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have stayed at this Quality Inn three times and will be there again in March in advance of an orthopedic appointment at Duke. The inn is busy and there is sometimes a wait at the front desk, especially if they are training staff. The hallways need a bit of work--carpeting, paint--but the rooms are nicely appointed with nice linens. The breakfast area is beautifully decorated and very serene. Very nice staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, although all the rooms may be renovated by this time.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a kind review. We appreciate all of your feedback and look forward to seeing you again in March.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I've stayed here about 4 times recently and have seen the renovation make the appearance very nice at the hotel. I love almost everything about the hotel but the beds need help. Some are okay but the oversized frames are too big for the king size mattresses.

The front desk people are also not the friendliest but I will stay again and definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2013
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hello Bearden,

I'm so glad to read your kind review of our renovation efforts. We have found the problem with the bed frames and have resolved the size issue. I am sorry to read your review of our front desk staff. Anyone in this industry is only as good as the face theyput forward to represent themselves. We make every effort to meet this expectation and are always sad to read when we don't. Please feel free to contact management with any concerns no matter how small.

Thank you for taking the time to check in with us and give us a review. I sincerely appreciate it.
Oriental, North Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Veterans Administration contracts with this hotel so I've stayed twice. Both times, rooms were dirty; body hair in the bathtub and black finger marks on the doors. The carpet is both rooms was filthy. As an extra, I dealt with a sour receptionist each time. Seedy comes to mind.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Oriental-Tat,

I am very sad to read about your experience with us. I assure you this is not the standard of our hotel. Guest satisfaction is our first priority. I hope you will give us another opportunity to give you a better impression in the future. If you have any issues with your hotel room, we would love to hear from you right away so we can correct any issues and provide you with a better quality stay. Your business is important to us. Please, contact Amanda, she is our new Operations Manager, at (919) 382-3388 ext 700.

Pete Sambath