“Weird Check-In”

Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park
Ranked #56 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This was a strange check-in experience. First, they had extended the stay of the person in the room that we were assigned to without notifying the front desk. The only rooms available had freshly painted doors with a strong paint odor. The front desk clerk had to personnally go upstairs and try to find an empty room since I had a guarenteed room. She gave me the room with the driest paint. Although we got a room it did smell like paint all night. The room itself was nice. The breakfast was very nice with fried sausage and potatoes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear Michael M,

I am very sorry to hear about your check-in experience and issues with the paint odors. We are currently under renovations and do appreciate your patience with us as we undergo the process. Guest satisfaction is our first priority and I sincerely hope you will give us another chance by visiting us again should you ever come to town.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The entie double room along with the bathroom was the size of my master bedroom minus my closet and bathroom. The bathroom was so small you could hardly turn around.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
AmandaB_NC, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

We have renovated our rooms to give them a nicer, more luxurious feel. Also the rooms on the 3rd floor are much larger than those on 1st and 2nd. Look us up on your next visit to Durham. We love to the opportunity to give you a better impression!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Honestly, I do not usually stay at Quality Inns, but had to work with other family members budgets.
The rooms were fine, minimal amenities, the nice aspect was a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and free wifi. At Hilton's and marriotts you have to pay for wifi.
The hotel is working on some renovations, it is an older hotel, there were no issues with it.
The ample breakfast was included offering hot and cold options and fresh fruit. I was not impressed, but I am a "foodie", other guests were very satisfied with the food.
Regarding cabs, go for one with typical cab markings, the guy driving his van overcharged and just seem to make up prices. The same trip with another cab was $14 vs $20.
Oh, and the hotel worked with us on a group rate, they also sent emails to confirm and before arriving one with suggestions of what to do while in Durham. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jl-ontheroadagain

We have finished with the majority of our renovations since you stayed with us. Our lobby and rooms are gorgeous! Let us know if your group returns to Durham. We would be honored to make your group booking again for 2014!

Reviewed June 11, 2012

After driving all day and on our way home from vacation, my wife and I checked into the Quality Inn, Durham. The first King bed room we had, the air conditioner, was blowing warm air. The second room, the air conditioner was so noisy, even the front desk clerk agreed that she would not want to hear that noise all night. The hotel is under rehab, but the room air conditioners should work when it's 80 degrees outside. To this hotel, I say, "No Thanks"

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Prakash S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m very sorry to hear that you did not find our accommodations to your satisfaction but I’m glad you brought this issue to our attention. I want to assure you that the air conditioners were fixed in both rooms and all of our units were inspected to prevent this issue from occurring again. We strive for 100% satisfaction and aim to resolve all issues and guest concerns right away. I checked your reservation and I’m happy to see your charges were reversed at the time you checked out. We hope you will consider giving us another chance should you be in town again in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here overnight while we attended a reunion. Approx a $10 cab ride onto Duke's West Campus. Clean rooms. Coffee maker, microwave, and mini fridge in the room. Free wifi was offered. No frills at this location but I would stay here again because of the price and location. The desk staff was very friendly and the free breakfast in the morning was pretty tasty with fresh fruit, waffle station, cereal, eggs, sausage, etc.

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us in 2012. We are working hard to make 2014 the best year ever. Many improvements have been made on the building and in the rooms. We still have a few more projects that we are excited about. Stay with us on your next visit to Durham and you will be impressed!

Reviewed January 6, 2012

I usually like quality inns. This one, not so much. Most rooms are exposed to the outside, but is not a deal breaker. The lobby needed a cleaning. Bad. There was flecks of a pillow fight all over the floor, and it smelled of stale cigarettes. The after hours window was strange. I can't come inside after midnight? They did let me i though. The elevator almost took out luggage, and it smelled too. The upper hallway (the only part with doors on the inside) smelled again. The room was actually mostly clean except the top cover that had something on it. If I wer hsekeeping, I would not put a top cover that had something visable on it. That's just gross. The remote control battery cover had been taped on, but fell of at every touch. The room was $74, and the Hilton was$120. Big difference, but next time, I will pass this one up.

Room Tip: To to the Hilton next door
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank catsspoon

Oh no! I'm so very sorry for the problems you encountered. Our hotel is newly renovated and we've made many wonderful improvements. I do hope you give us another chance to give you a better impression!

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Hallways smelly and carpets nasty. Unsavory characters roaming halls all hours of the night.
Window with double glass completely "fogged" in between panels and unable to see outside. Please see picture.

Breakfast a joke! Watched as attendant heated day old potatoes and day old sausage patties in microwave and put out for guests. Then she prepared fresh product and put on top of old. By "prepared" I mean she microwaved multiple plates of sausage and multiple plates of frozen potatoes on the SAME styrofoam plates then dumping them into the warming dish! Microwaving these plates has been determined a cancer risk when they begin to melt---which these did!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank naivevictim

I am so sorry that you had such an experience. We have made many many many changes and I sincerely hope you give us another chance on your next visit to Durham, NC.