“Exceptional Customer Service, But Some Cautions”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Baltimore, Maryland
“Exceptional Customer Service, But Some Cautions”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

The staff here is remarkably helpful. Two examples. First, on my checkout day I was rushing to leave my suitcase and arrange a taxi so I could get back to my meeting. The bellhop was busy and my frustration must have showed. Somebody stepped out of nowhere to help, took my bag and waited patiently while I fumbled for flight details to figure out taxi timing. Only when we were done did I notice his name tag and realize it was the General Manager himself waiting on me! Second, at the breakfast bar I had asked if they had chocolate milk (for taking medicine). The waiter replied "No, but let me make you some" and he returned shortly with a glass of chocolate milk to go! However I found a few negative items too. The WiFi in rooms is paid-only. No convenience store is in walking distance, making the minimal selection in the hotel's convenience "shop" more noticeable. Finally, in the months prior to my stay I'd tried to contact the sales team by phone but two voicemails were never returned, something so at odds with the level of customer service I received once there.

1 Thank ITBJ55
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind words on our staff service and we would like to apologize for the concerns you mentioned. We will review them with the team for the improvement. We again appreciate your review and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Yadkin Valley (North Carolina)
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed 3 nights, 4 days for a professional organization conference. Perfectly located downtown Durham, attached to the Durham Convention Center.

PROS: Central Durham location. Clean rooms and immaculate bathroom. Mini-fridge and coffee maker in room, hotel staff gladly provided additional coffee packets on request. HVAC worked well and was quiet, unlike some window units that tend to keep me awake. Lots of pillows. Fluffy towels and washcloths. Hallways were very clean, though trays from room service stayed in hallways longer than I expected. I was fortunate enough to have an end room with views to the south and west.

SUPER PRO: The front desk staff, valet parking staff, all were very nice and made me feel at home during my stay, greeting me if I'd only stepped out of the lobby for ten minutes.

CONS: Valet parking (with in and out privileges) was pricey at $12/day. Wi-fi was not free for regular guests (thankfully our conference coordinator had negotiated a waiver of the daily fee). Hotel restaurant food was good, but service was marginal.

SUMMARY: This property was selected by conference coordinators, so I did not have a choice on where to stay. Due to valet parking fee and wi-fi fee for regular guests, I would probably look for lodging nearby that offered both in the room rate.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in ..27 are on the southwest corner of the hotel, with views of the sunset and towards...
Green Features: Happy to change linens and towels on a daily basis if requested, but participated in program to use more than one day. (I use my towels and sheets for more than the four days I was there, so requested no room service during my stay)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to review and give us honest and very thorough feedback. We are excited to see your compliments on our staff service, cleanliness, and value. We also learned that we need to make some improvement in our restaurant from marginal to brilliant service. We again really do appreciate your comments for us to continuously improve and hope to see you again soon.
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Location: Right in the middle of downtown Durham, within walking distance to plenty of restaurants, bars, and the Durham Bulls Ballpark.

Hotel Accommodations: Clean, spacious rooms; open lobby with restaurant and bar; completely connected to the Durham Convention Center.

Some of the decorations are a bit dated, but the hotel overall is very nice, and being completely connected to the Convention Center is very convenient.

Staff: Other than an event addressed under "Parking" below, the staff were friendly and courteous, and more than helpful with anything we needed. The always spoke to you, upon entering and exiting the hotel, and were prompt in getting you anything you needed.

Food: I ate breakfast two mornings in the hotel, and it was delicious, a little more expensive than I thought it should have been, but I was happy to pay the price for the convenience. They have a $15.00 whole buffet and a cheaper half buffet as well as individual meals. The sandwiches in the bar area were phenomenal, though the service was a bit slow at times. They had a decent selection of alcohol at the bar, including a varied wine selection.

Room Rates: We received a very nice room rate as part of the hotel/conference package. I would definitely recommend negotiating one for yourself.

Conference Center: The conference center is connected to the hotel via the lobby, and it was perfect for the purpose. Spacious, clean, open, and bright.

Parking: Here's where the fifth star was lost. You can either pay $12.00 per day for valet parking, or you can parking in the parking deck across the street for $3.00 per day if affiliated with an event at the hotel. While there for a recent convention, I parked in the $3.00 per day parking which I was very pleased with. However, another member of our convention paid the $12.00/day to valet park her vehicle, and when it was retrieved for her three days later, it was very evident that someone had attempted to break into her vehicle. There were gouges all along her door frame, and deep scratches where someone used a tool to try and press her automatic unlock buttons. While Durham does have a high(er) crime rate, it wasn't the attempted break-in that resulted in the 4-star rating, it was the way the hotel handled it. No manager was available to assist her, the rest of the staff seemed flustered and unapologetic (completely contrary to how they had been the entire time we had been there, which was very friendly and helpful - see above.) When we left for our evening event, there was still no response from the management, she was told that security had been notified and the police would be there shortly. We informed them that we had called the police and they had been there nearly an hour ago; the staff member then informed us that since the police had been there, the matter had been "handled." The matter may have been better handled at some date after the other conference member and I said our goodbyes later that evening, but having been by her side through the whole process up to our having to leave for the evening event (2 hours after the damage was discovered), I was disappointed at how the hotel staff handled the issue, regardless of the existence of a manager.

Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us a great review with details. We will share your comments along with the inconvenience that one of your conference members experienced with our team for continuous improvement. Thank you again for staying with us!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 17, 2014

The hotel is perfectly-located in downtown Durham. It's very convenient if you're staying in the area.

The room, starting with the very comfortable bed and the spotless bathroom, was great.

The only drawbacks at this hotel are the misleading parking situation and the WiFi (couldn't connect at first then found out you have to pay for it).

I researched parking when booking the room and, although I saw a mention of the valet parking, it wasn't made clear that the hotel didn't actually provide another option. We ended up parking at a city parking deck a block away.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying and giving us a nice review. Our Housekeeping team will love to hear about your compliments and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to parking and valet. We will make sure we provide better communication to our guests. Thank you again and hope to see you soon.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This Marriott may not be the newest, it certainly has the best staff. I've stayed here several time, originally for its location in downtown Durham but came back because of the staff. I'm sad I didn't get any names so I can give them individual praise but everyone from the valet to the concierge were friendly and helpful each time I have stay. My advise if you do choose to stay here is to valet park as parking in Durham can be a pain.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your fantastic compliments – Best Staff of any Marriott – Wow, it makes us so proud of what we do here at our hotel for our guests. We will continuously work harder to serve you brilliantly to keep that title you gave us. Please come back to see us!
tennessee
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We came to see a show at the durham Performing Arts Center and it was a perfect location. As we did not have a car, we walked all over that area and were so impressed on all the renovation of the tobacco warehouses. The staff was extremely genteel and the hotel was clean. Would recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clotn
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your compliments! Durham has lots to offer so please come back to stay with us when you visit here again, we will be waiting for you!
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The south is of course renowned for its overly friendly people and exceptional hospitality but the Durham Marriott City Center takes it to a new high point. Every one I ran into was cheery and helpful. From the bellman who greeted me at the door, to the desk clerks, cleaning staff and restaurant staff. It was noticeably exceptional! The room was a standard Marriott room - a good size, comfortable bed, decent WiFi speeds and close to shopping and restaurants.
This is the place to stay when you are in Durham.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear guest,
We are excited to receive your FIVE STARS with big compliments on our staff. Please come back to see us, we will again serve you the BEST. Thank you so much!