“Great wedding weekend. ”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Staff were polite, greeted us every possible opportunity, and constantly asked if they could do anything to make our stay better and more comfortable. We had a great time. The fitness center was clean, and among the better I've seen in large hotel chains.

Stayed: July 2014
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear guest,
Congratulations on your wedding and we are glad to hear that you had a great time. Our staff will love to hear your compliments and thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Downtown Durham and Duke campus are fun places to explore for a weekend getaway & this hotel is right in the center of it. Hotel bed very comfortable & nice bathroom - big TV with HBO although WiFi appears to cost $10/day - gave up trying to get around that charge Within walking distance to Durham Bulls Stadium, Saturday Farmer's Market, plenty of great restaurants, and helpful Visitor's Center. Also Amtrak/Megabus/Greyhound stations a couple of blocks away plus free City Connector Bus running up/down Main St. & into Duke campus makes having a car not necessary. Suggest renting movie Bull Durham to get you psyched for your visit. (And definitely stop at the ice cream parlor right outside the hotel for homemade heaven.)

Room Tip: get a top floor on Durham Bull Stadium side
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us great review with details. And “Yes” we have lots of things for you do here in Durham. In addition to what you already mentioned, we have Durham Performing Arts Center, North Carolina Theatre, Arts Council, many delicious eateries and much more. Please come back and enjoy us again!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in June. Staff throughout was very nice. Fitness center was adequate and served my needs. Both attendants in the Concierge Lounge were exceptionally friendly - I enjoyed speaking with them both!

Overall - very good hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JessFuquay
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Mr. Fuquay,
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. I will speak with our staff about your nice comments and share your special recognition with our Concierge team. Thank you again and see you soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel was fine, the room was comfortable and the staff friendly. However, when I left I needed a cab to the airport. Someone at the desk called for me. When I arrived at the airport the cost was $45! The cab to the hotel was only $32.10. I called the Marriot and the person speaking for management just laughed and said it was a deal that they had with Airport Taxi Service. Really? Instead of leaving your customers feeling cheated why not raise the room rate $2 a night? It's a petty way to get a few extra bucks and left me not wanting to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 890susanl
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the taxi service. I was very disturbed to hear about your comment on our staff and will personally follow up because we do not work with any transportation companies. We only provide services to call transportation companies when our guests need. Could you please call me directly at 919-768-6011 so I can further assist you on this? Thank you so much again.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I thought I enjoyed my stay here, until I realized I left my MAC Laptop in the room when I checked out. I called the hotel to ask them if they found it. I know for sure it was in the room. They did look, but simply said they trust their staff and I could file a police report. Someone obviously took it!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Katgreen37
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you enjoyed your experience until one unfortunate incident toward the end. As stated during our conversation, we checked your room and found nothing left behind. We have very strict lost and found procedures which were followed and have the utmost faith in the honesty of our staff. We have an excellent track record of returning lost items to our guests. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will consider staying with us again next time your travels bring you to Durham.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed in room 219 on Saturday 26.04.2014 and to be honest, not impressed with the size of the room or the poor view to the rear carpark, having paid for a better room.
Although it never caused us a problem, we were disgusted to find elderly people struggling climbing stairs all Saturday and Sunday up until we left as all lifts were out of service. This is a disgrace.
Our stay based on the price paid was poor already but the Sunday morning breakfast was a totally JOKE!!!! had to wait in a 20 minute queue outside the dining room for breakfast. Not impressed with that, when eventually in my wife then waiting 20 minutes for a poached egg, then when received the egg found that the queue for the food was terrible, to make matters worse when she eventually got to the food, there was very little selection as all the dished has went empty. There were lots of people not happy with this situation.

Unfortunately I personally feel that on this occasion the Marriot actually robbed me, the breakfasts were £15.00 each and not worth £1.50. The room was £109 and again the overall experience does not warrant that amount.

Totally disappointed and disappointed that on checking out, the staff simply said, I am sorry about the breakfasts, we are aware of complaints and will pass your comments onto the Kitchen.

Well really you should have asked a senior member of management to speak with us at check out and then that could have avoided this review.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank visitor227059
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear guest,
I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I was very disturbed to hear about your unpleasant experiences and wanted to make sure we do improve immediately in certain areas. Please call my direct line at 919-768-6011 so I can further assist you. Thank you.

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

I have to travel to Durham for work on a quarterly basis. This is our preferred hotel and I know why. The service and rooms are great. Room service is quick and polite. The bath tub has a fixed mat which makes taking a bath unpleasant. Otherwise everyone is friendly. Would recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Chad S
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for keeping us as your preferred hotel. It really makes us feel great. I will share your compliments with my staff and will work on the bathtub to see what we can do to make it better. See you soon!