“Nice but no frills” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 70 Hotels in Durham
New York City, New York
“Nice but no frills”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

My check-in was easy, the room was clean and large (it was a corner room), and the bed was comfortable. But the "restaurant" (which was only the bar later in the day) was only mediocre, and frequently it was hard to find someone to wait on you. There was a snowstorm during my stay, and there was only 1 person working at the bar (if you don't count the manager who was standing around not doing anything to help the poor woman who was taking orders) and a very long wait to get a drink or food. It was very frustrating, since there weren't many other places open to get food because of the storm. That being said, there are some interesting restaurants in the area which I would definitely recommend over getting food at the hotel. Generally, it was a fine place to stay, and close to where I needed to be for work.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at our lounge during the winter storm. It was difficult time and we could not accommodate you for 100% satisfaction. But you were very generous and understanding. Thank you so much for that and please come back to see us so we can best serve you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Let me just start off by saying, I have stayed at a lot of hotels over the years. We decided to go to Durham for a concert at the DPAC and went online to find a hotel since I had not stayed in Durham before. I took a look at many reviews, as I always do, and decided that based on those reviews and the distance from DPAC we would give it a try at the Marriott.

From the moment we pulled into the valet parking we were meet with a smiling face. Not only smiling but someone that actually was a very nice person who greatly wanted to provide us with a wonderful experience. Upon entering the hotel, there was a wait, but immediately the reception welcomed us and indicated that it would just be a moment. While we waited several other employes came by and also welcomed us to the hotel. As we waited we noticed a gentleman with a name tag sitting near by in a wheel chair. My husband and he immediately started talking and he was the hotel's shoe specialist. We were checked in very promptly and as my name had changed since I had updated my Marriott rewards, they asked me if I would like to update it on the reservation. They took care of everything and the gentleman at the desk was beyond friendly and welcoming. We discussed that it was my husband and my 1 year wedding anniversary. I had asked previously from the email asking about any extra needs for our stay, to have extra towels and possibly a quiet room. The desk representative let me know all of my requests, actually reading them to me, were already in our room. He also unexpectedly upgraded our room stay to a corner room. What a lovely surprise. Upon entering our room we were so excited to find a very clean, well decorated and pillowy bed. We were on the hunt place to eat that evening prior to the show. The hotel front desk took the time to provide us with a local map and highlight (literally) some of the best places to go. We made our way to the hotel bar and again, found a staff member who was extremely friendly and again provided us with outstanding area information. Our drinks were great too!! On that note, I go back to the very nice gentleman we meet upon entering who was the onsite shoe specialist. My husband has a pair of boots that I am going to say affectionaly, thinks are amazing. They unfortunately did not look the part of which he was so certain they were. He and Earnest (the Marriott Shoe God as he shall now be known) decided that is boots could use a little help. My husband enjoyed his time with Earnest and he did such a beautiful job! My husband also loved getting to talk about the history of the area from Earnest. If you stay at the Marriott, please take in the luxury of Earnest's work, he really is an expert at his craft.

We took a look at the onsite menu, and although looked great we decided to venture out and explore the downtown area on foot. We were given exact directions and made our way to the concert with ease! We had a wonderful time at the DPAC, definitely see a concert or show there if you have not!!

After the concert, we were torn as to where to go next. So many nightlife options available. We both decided that our hotel, the Marriott bar was where we wanted to head back to. Again, we were met with such wonderful staff and service. We grabbed a beverage and headed back to the room for the evening. Upon arriving, we were so overwhelmed to find a lovely card from the staff of the hotel under our door. One that wished us a happy anniversary and was personally signed by various hotel staff with words of well wishes and wisdom for our future. Can you imagine, there you are a stranger in a hotel and to find something so lovely and heartfelt waiting for you. We were very touched.

The next morning we stopped by the front desk to let them know we were grabbing a coffee at a yummy place across the street and would be checking out shortly. Again smiles!!

We grabbed our coffee and packed our things. Our car was waiting and the staff was well wishing and making sure we were on our way, in the right direction this time ;)

So, what is my review of the Durham Marriott City Center? My review is of thanks and of praise. A staff of employees that are some of the nicest people I have met. An accommodation I highly praise. A hotel that we have decided that we will be retuning to for absolutely no special celebration, but to just be able to come enjoy again.

My note to those that have not enjoyed their stay in the reviews, what attitude did you come into your stay with? Maybe one of appreciation is one that you should come to your stay with, and in return you might just realize that you just stayed in a wonderful place with some really hard working people that just made our anniversary perfect.

Thank you Marriott Durham and thank you to the gentleman at the front desk for your kindness!

Room Tip: Corner rooms really do rock!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for the FIVE STARS with great compliments starting from our Valet/Bell Service Attendant, Front Desk Agent, Bartender and even Mr. Parker, our shoeshine gentleman…..We are so glad to hear that you really loved your stay on your anniversary. Please come back to see us. We will then again serve you our best. And thank you also for being our Marriott Reward Member.
alexandria, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

The hotel is located in the middle of Durham which makes it easy for doing things inside of the city as most things are walking adjacent. This was a quick overnight stay, but the staff was more than hospitable with all requests and with recommendations.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your compliment about our staff. Please come back and stay little longer next time to really enjoy many great things around us. We will again service you at our best!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Probably the worst hotel experience I have ever had. There were cockroaches in our room and the staff refused to relocate us to another room, saying that they were fully booked. But when I went online, I was able to reserve a room (leading me to believe they were not fully booked). Never going back here again - there are better hotels in the area at much better prices. Don't be deceived by the decor in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Du_Cr
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We are very proud of serving our guests with best clean rooms and excellent services but we were so disturbed to hear about your concerns. We could not find any communication about your bad experience so please help us to improve. Please give us a call at my direct line 919-768-6011 to discuss. Then I will follow up personally to make sure we fix our problem immediately and prepare to be the best hotel for you to come back and enjoy. I will be looking forward to your call.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I've stayed at this Marriott perhaps a dozen times in the past year or two. It's just fine and there's nothing better in downtown Durham. Durham itself has some charm and this hotel is the best way to experience it. Try some local restaurants and walk around - it's a downtown experiencing a bit of a revival.

Guest rooms - Rooms are fine at this Marriott and definitely meet the standards of the chain. That said, the HVAC noise in some of them is quite loud (rattle), and if you're near the elevators you will hear the whoosh and mechanicals during the night.

Service - Service here is very pleasant, with the staff always willing to help out as much as possible. I tend to stay rather self-sufficient on business trips, so I don't need much, but when I do they are happy to help.

Dining - I've had a few decent meals via room service, but have also had some salads that are wilted or some flavors that are a bit off. But go for it if you're looking to stay inside and relax.

Gym - The workout room is fine for a quick energy burn, but the best thing here is that they issue passes to the YMCA across the street for a much better gym.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators and on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John Greg P
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us a great review with details. We always love to hear from our guests because you tell us what we could do better to make you happy. I will make sure we continue striving to make it better so you can keep coming back to see us! Thank you again for being our loyal Marriott guest.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Visited here for New Years Eve with family and friends, room was spotless the staff couldn't do enough to help you. The breakfast selection was vast and Buffett type cereal cold meats cheese cooked breakfast, if you wanted a omelette they took your choice of ingredients and cooked it for you, endless amounts of tea/coffee fruit juice. Thanks for making our New Year special

Stayed December 2013
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you!!!
We are so excited to hear such great comments about our service with new year greeting. I will share your compliments with all my staff and wish you, your friends and families a Happy Awesome Year!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here twice in the past couple years and this Marriott has always been very accommodating between the Platinum upgrades to the impeccable service. We will always stay here when we are in Durham.

Room Tip: Corner high room is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for five stars!!! We are happy to hear that you always enjoy staying with us. We will keep working hard to continuously serve you the best. And another big thank you for being our Platinum member!