Durham Marriott City Center
$91
$81
$68
Priceline
All reviewscarolina theatrethe concierge loungefront deskcorner roomhotel is centrally locatedvalet servicethe performing arts centerwalking distanceroom servicelobby barsouthern hospitalityearly checkchecking outduke universityone night stayfitness centerdpac
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed here twice in the past couple years and this Marriott has always been very accommodating between the Platinum upgrades to the impeccable service. We will always stay here when we are in Durham.

Room Tip: Corner high room is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for five stars!!! We are happy to hear that you always enjoy staying with us. We will keep working hard to continuously serve you the best. And another big thank you for being our Platinum member!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

This hotel is within walking distance of many fine Farm to Table restaurants. The ice cream parlor and bakery were closed on the days we visited. I will seek them out on my next visit.

20 minutes by car or 2 buses to/from the Airport. The complimentary Bull City Connector bus is less than 2 blocks away. You may take a ride to Duke University and walk around the campus.

Room Pluses:
The 2 light fixtures located on the desk and side tables had an abundance of AC outlets for electronics
Cubbies for extra towels, etc below the bathroom counter
Grab bar and anti-slip mat in the bathtub/shower A +

Small issues which were rectified:
Paper jam in the Computer Room and the inside door handle fell off. Both situations, Robert came to my rescue. Who said chivalry is dead?

Room Concern:
The maid whom tidied up the room left an overpowering fragrance smell. I have a problem with this as I am allergic to scents. The California hospitals institute a policy: NO lotion, powder, perfume, make-up, oil or deodorants.

Comment:
If the hotel is conserving water in not laundering the towels, please provide more towel bars and hooks.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your time and effort to leave us such nice reviews. We are always excited to hear from our guests because you tell us what we could do better to make you happy. I will make sure we follow up on few items you mentioned to better accommodate you next time. And Robert…. I will definitely let him know about your comment. He will love to hear! Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here because we were seeing a show at the Performing Arts Center just down the street.

The Pros:
All of the staff we encountered were super polite, and very helpful. Upon checking in, I was greeted by smiling folks behind the counter who made the process easy for me. Also, I ordered room-service and was told it would take 10-15 minutes for the food to arrive. It could not have been even a full 5 minutes and it was there. (Underpromising and overdelivering! Love it!) Finally, the price of this hotel, for the location, was pretty great. We're used to steep hotel prices in the heart of most cities, so we were delighted that this was so affordable.

The Cons:
Parking. Oy. When making the reservation to stay here, I double checked to make sure that complimentary, on-site parking was available. Arriving in Durham, a town with which I am not even remotely familiar, I found the hotel, and then started looking for the on-site parking. After circling the hotel four times (yes, 4), which was not easy, I gave up and pulled into the packed valet space, where the kind gentleman asked for my keys and began unloading my car. I told him I wanted to self-park, but he said he'd take care of my car for free, since I was a female and alone. While I appreciated this (I think?), I really wanted to just take care of my car myself, keep my keys, and unload at my own pace. This was super uncomfortable for me, especially now that the valet folks had my keys, and I'd had no intention of valet parking. Suggestion: just put up a clear sign indicating where folks can self-park, or change the website to state that parking is valet only.
My only other mini-complaint was that anytime someone closed a door in the hallway, the bed in our room shook. Weird. And a bit startling. Every. Time. A door closed.

Other than that, everything was lovely. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sardawg

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your compliment about our professional service. But I would like to apologize for not giving you clear communication about our parking service. We will do better next time. As you know Durham has lots to offer including Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham Bulls, and great restaurants… Please come back to see us for your next visit, we will again take great care of you!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was here last week for a business meeting. Being a long time Marriott rewards member, to me they all look and feel the same. What separates this property from others is the supreme customer service they provide. Not only from the front desk personnel, but the valet attendants, to other help just walking around. When I used the phone to call for room service, I was greeted as "hi Mr. Meltzer"

The property itself was very nice. Nice flat screen TV, wireless that didn't cost me anything. When I ordered room service I was told it would be about 15 minutes. In 5 minutes my salad was there! They appear to really want to please their customers, and this is one customer who really appreciates the extra mile.

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in the south, but that doesn't always equate to southern hospitality....but this property does!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Meltzer,
Thank you for being our loyal guest! We really appreciate your always staying with us. I will share your compliments with my staff(especially Front Desk, Valet and Room Service team). I know they will love to hear. Please come back to see us again!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We came to Durham for a concert at the DPAC.The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to DPAC. The rooms were clean and the staff friendly. Valet parking is the only way to go because parking is not in real close proximity of the hotel.I think the rooms were a bit to pricey for the service received.we stayed on the ninth floor the concieres level ( how ever spelled).The cost for staying on that level wasn't worth it.The staff failed to tell us we could have access to the dinning area on that level anytime and could help ourselves to food and drink at anytime (we learned this as we were leaving) My daughter was a little hungry when we arrived and wanted a little something to eat to tied her over till dinner. She found a small store next to the front desk that sold snack food...She paid $2.00 for a small pack on M&Ms. So I recommend bringing your own snack food if you think you would be wanting it.

Room Tip: If you stay on the conciears level (how ever spelled) 9th floor. You do have access to the dinning room at anytime with the swipe of you room card. In there you will find complementary soft drinks, juices, fruit and few other things to eat. All I have to say is it would have been helpful information to have shared with us. before my daughter paid $2.00 for a little pack of M&Ms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your compliment. But we would like to sincerely apologize for not communicating with you about the privileges you could have while you were staying with us. We will share your comments with staff for immediate improvement. Please call me directly at 919-768-6011 for your future stay; I will make sure you receive better and more services we offer. I am looking forward to seeing you soon.