“Mixed feelings”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here recently while visiting the Duke campus (which is a very short drive away -- I won't say easy, however, because of the current road construction). If you are wanting access to downtown businesses, it is an excellent location. We walked to several good restaurants during our stay. The beds are SUPER comfy -- great pillows. I understand why Marriott has a catalog in the room of their products you can purchase. The room and bathroom are also clean and spacious.

And that is where my good comments end. When we checked in (around 7:00 PM on a Wednesday night) the lobby was not really busy -- and there were three staff working the desk. But it took more minutes than it should have for them to silently decide amongst themselves who was going to verbally acknowledge our presence. We were not warmly welcomed. Were not really talked to at all. Just handed the key. Weren't even told our room number -- good thing it was written on the key card folder. Once in our room, it didn't take long to figure out this is NOT a quiet hotel. The walls are paper thing -- and unfortunately we were in a room next to a screaming baby. Also -- either everyone on our floor was slamming their doors or the tension on the doors needs to be adjusted to keep them from slamming. Laying in bed -- the headboard actually shook every time someone's door closed down the hall. And it woke me up during the night a few times too. Last complaint -- no pool! I don't know why I didn't notice this on the hotel's web site -- I just assumed a Marriott of this size would have a pool!

Room Tip: NO POOL! Paper thin walls
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us honest feedback which is very important to us. We will compliment our Housekeeping staff for their great work and we will coach our Front Desk staff for immediate improvement. I am also very sorry to hear that you didn’t ‘t have a good sleep due to noise. Please contact me directly at 919-768-6011, I will do my best to take care of you.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I stay in Marriott all the time. This one was ok - nothing especially good or bad.

It's a little dated - could use a facelift. The staff was great, though and extremely helpful and friendly.

The downtown location was great since my meetings were downtown.

• Stayed: July 2013
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for being our loyal guest! We really appreciate your always staying with us. I will share your compliments with my staff. I know they will love to here. Hope your meeting went well and please come back to see us for your next one!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

TIPS:
- If you are not the valet type it’s easy to pull up in front, register, then self park ½ block away
- I don’t eat in hotels unless I’m desperate; plenty of fine alternatives close by
- If you are without car but willing to walk you can get to the DPAC and many stores and restaurants in converted mill buildings

PRO:
1) Clean, quiet, well run
2) No-hassle parking
3) No other hotel has the same central Durham location

CON:
1) An odd city center with restaurants but virtually no stores; Durham lacks a sense of place
2) The large creepy photo next to the elevator of Mr. Marriott Sr. and Jr. starring at you with smarmy country-club smiles

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LarryInBrookline

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us! Your tips are excellent and we love your title that starts with “Perfectly fine standard Marriott”. Please keep coming back to see us and to enjoy this wonderful Durham. We will be here for you.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I really loved it
Very classy
Was a very good deal too Sub100 $!! THANK YOU PRICELINE -;)
BETTER THAN SHERATON
I would definitely go back
Super clean

♡♡♡♡♡
♥♥♥♥♥

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear guest,
So glad to hear that you loved staying with us. And hope your surgery went well. I will share your “super clean” comments with my Housekeeping folks and I know they will be so happy. Please stay healthier and come back to see us.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Decent location, so-so accommodations. Here's the screw up... When you travel for business,have meetings planned the next morning, make sure to eat breakfast somewhere else if staying here.
These incompetent amateurs did not bring my room service order. I called and they said it just left sorry, meanwhile my meetings are soon approaching. Twenty minutes later, still no food. I called to complain, they could care less and were full of excuses.
Lying to customers is wrong! The on shift manager apologized when I complained, and said they would give me some points.....the points they gave were nothing. My self and my colleagues are rethinking this brand, and will never return to this location.

Room Tip: Avoid it at all costs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,
We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had to experience because of our poor room service. We take guests concerns seriously and work harder to make improvements. Please give us another opportunity so we can better serve you. And if there is anything I can do for you to make your stay more enjoyable next time, please call me directly at 919-768-6011. Thank you again for staying with us and giving us comments for the improvement.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have attended seminars at the convention center connected to this hotel. Yesterday, I walked across the street from the ice cream place just to get a drink from the hotel lobby. I used to frequent this place just to grab a snack while my daughter was attending the children's choir a building away. The staff were always nice and they were too yesterday. This hotel has a nice, clean lobby. The location is walking distance to DPAC, the The Durham Bulls Park and some of the best restaurants in the area. Carolina theater is next door. Across the street is Durham Centre Tower that houses the Durham Chamber of Commerce and has the best view of the downtown area. I haven't stayed at the hotel. I love the location. I recommend this hotel to those who will be in town to watch a show at DPAC, go to the games or just here for an overnight stopover.

Room Tip: If I stay here I would love a room overlooking Morgan Street with the view of the Durham Centre Towe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear guest,
Thank you for the Five Star!!!
We always appreciate your feedback. Yes, we are in the heart of great Durham where you can do many exciting things. Please keep coming back to take a break! We are here for you.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Durham Marriott for a wedding. We were there three nights and enjoyed our stay overall. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, nice views. No breakfast included, but parking was free, so that is a nice bonus. It is a nice, central location, so you can walk to many restaurants, bars, etc. My only issue was that when we went out in the mornings, we would come back early afternoon and the room still wouldn't be clean. Maybe we were the last floor to be cleaned, but it seemed later than it should. Not a deal breaker, certainly though, and would recommend to a friend for their next trip!

Room Tip: I was told a corner room is best, if this is available. Did not personally get one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amyjagdmann
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us great compliments. I will share your comments with our staff for continuous improvement. You are right, we are located in the heart of downtown Durham where you can enjoy many exciting things Durham has to offer. Going to Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Art Center, Durham Bulls, and tasting great food in many popular local restaurants. Please come back to see us, we are here for you!