“Great Place to Stay for a Conference”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was in town for a conference. THe conference location was conveniently attached to the hotel. Check-in was easy, the staff were very friendly and the rooms very comfortable. I am a nut about cleanliness and my room was clean. I stayed on the top floor and it was quiet. The food is surprisingly good for a hotel. I was exhausted one night and ordered room service. I was banking on the meal to be marginal but it was actually pretty well prepared.

I didn't have time to explore the area much so I have no idea how convenient it is to Duke, UNC etc. There doesn't seem to be a ton to do right around the hotel but there are restaurants and bars.

A bonus is that is a very quick ride from the airport. In short...I recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us great comments. I will share your compliments with our staff about friendliness, cleanliness and good food. Durham is offering many exciting things. Going to Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Art Center, Durham Bulls, and tasting great food in many popular local restaurants. We are the perfect location to Duke-about 5 minutes- and UNC is not that far either with about 15minutes driving. Please come back and enjoy this great area again. See you soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I signed up for TripAdvisor just to write this review hoping that a little bit of public exposure will push this hotel into cleanliness!

What an odd hotel. I checked in and there were three front desk staff talking to each other and no one made eye contact with me standing in front of them until I said something. Bad start. Then I went up to the room and it's actually very nicely renovated, very clean, friendly maid in the hall. Getting better.

Then I walked over to the window. Seriously it was like someone had smeared human waste on the outside. Like looking out through a fishbowl whose water had never been changed. Like, well, like they seriously had not cleaned the outside of their hotel in decades. Truly gross and haunting. It's places like this that give Durham a bad name.

Look, I was impressed with the real HD channels, and the reasonable food prices, and the general well-kept nature of the room. But you should stay elsewhere until they power wash their property top to bottom.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for your unpleasant stay. I will follow up with Front Desk team for immediate service improvement. Power wash the building is one of our priority lists for 2013. We also appreciate your good comments about the room and the staff. We will share them as well with the staff. Thank you again for your honest feedback.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great room, very well appointed, clean, spacious and very comfortable. The staff, including Jackie Jones at the front desk, were well trained, sincere and hard working. The hotel is conveniently located downtown with plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: We had a corner room over Chapel Hill St that had a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us great compliments. I will be happy to share your comments with our staff including Jackie Jones. They will love to hear! We are always here to serve you better and better. See you soon!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Pros: Location to downtown, Friendly Staff, Clean Rooms, Feather Pillows, Free Wi-Fi

Cons: Limited Parking, Very small bathrooms !, No Hot water, No Fridge and Microwave in room, No pool area- They need a inside pool area and more activities for kids.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us good comments about staff, rooms and feather pillows. But we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to parking, hot water boiler issue, pool and the microwave. We are also sorry about not communicating to you properly about our room refrigerator location which was inside of the TV armoire. And we could also take care of your microwave needs in different way as we didn’t have one in the room. Please accept my apology and give us another opportunity to serve you better next time.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Great Location. They have a one up being the only hotel downtown. The front desk employees were nice, but being a Gold Elite member I like to be greeted as such. I hate to sound snobby but if I go out of my way to try to always stay at Marriott's I think I should at least get a "Thanks for be a repeat guest" or something to that affect. The hotel was clean, but did show slight signs of wear. Brown around the tub drain. Bed was very comfortable and the temperature in the room was great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you for being our loyal guest. You are right, you are our best guests. Please accept my sincere apology if we didn’t make you feel that way. We will improve. And thank you for good comments about our room. Again we really appreciate your business and we like to have you back continuously. See you soon!

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I will give this hotel 4 stars for the cleanliness in the rooms and the kindness of the staff. We had very slow service at the restaurant, but only because the waitress was clearly on her own trying to manage all of the tables. They need to hire her some more help. The bar was the same, as we waited for 30 minutes for a drink.

Staff was awesome and the rooms were clean. Solid location downtown.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us good comments. Our Housekeeping team will love to hear your compliment about their excellent work. I will also share your dining experience with our Food and Beverage team for the improvement. We will be waiting for you to come back. See you soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting a Duke. The service from Fiona at the front desk (late night), and Berry & Rudy the shuttle drivers was amazing. Very nice and helpful. The hotel is in a great location if you're visiting Durham - a quick walk down to restaurants and boutiques (which I unfortunately didn't do because of the cold rainy weather). It is only about 20 minutes from the airport and about 10 minutes from Duke.

Great service options - free valet parking if you are a woman traveling alone (a small touch that provides a great relief!), though the price otherwise is only $10/day (not bad) and also the shuttle service that will take you within 5 miles of the hotel made my stay exceptionally easy.

The room was standard Marriott - pretty big, clean. Nothing fancy but nothing bad.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Woochan_Kim, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear guest,
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will share your compliment with Flona, Berry and Rudy. They will be happy to hear! And we are sorry that you had bad weather, but please come back to enjoy us and this wonderful town. Thank you!