“average hotel, average service, average basically everything”

Durham Marriott City Center
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent the September 22, 2012 weekend here for a wedding elsewhere...

Valet parking is a mess. The area is a tiny circle with no room and if one car is pulled up, you're essentially blocked.

There is no "real" parking. To "hotel" park, you have to cross the street through a deserted lot, into an alley, into a back area that doesn't feel safe. Access to the lot is through a hotel key.

Service is great. Southern hospitality at the front desk, and just welcoming in general.

Rooms are average. Spacious, nice view, nice linens and toiletries. Thermostat is ridiculous - it was hot/cold, and just all over the place. Shower was nice, functional, but nothing to write home about.

Just used it as a home base and it served as such. It is pretty close by to downtown Durham, which, that being said, is pretty quiet. Overall a functional hotel that served it's purpose as a place to unload and to access other parts of the triangle area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the parking service. I will share your comments with our management team and the staff to do better job on parking situation. I will also share your good comments with our team members. Please give us another chance to show you Durham Marriott at its best when your travel brings you back here. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Durham Marriott City Center

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed one Saturday night so we could attend a music show nearby. The first problem we encountered was that the circle in front of the hotel where one might park to register was small and already filled with cars. Marriot's parking lot across the street and around the back of a building in only accessible with a key card. So, my partner idled across the street while I went in to get our key. Once I realized how far away and potentially shady the parking was, I decided to opt for valet for $10. What a mistake. We had no problem leaving our car the first time but when we wanted it back, we did't see any valet guys in sight. So we waited. And waited. Finally, someone slowly walked our way, stopped, and wordlessly took our ticket. Then he slowly walked into the hotel, then back out. Then he turned around and slowly went back inside. Then back out. Finally he crossed the street and wandered off to get our car. We had dinner and a show to get to and if we had known it was going to take a half hour to get our car, we would have started the process sooner. Anyway, later that night, when we returned, there were again no valets in sight. My partner went in to ask the desk what to do and we were told to leave our car in the circle and bring our keys to them. Would have been nice if they let us know that ahead of time. Sunday morning, we didn't wait as long for the valet but it was still a slow, unfriendly process.

The room was fine but I wouldn't call it luxurious. When we entered, we immediately set about trying to find the source of an odd, annoying, higher-pitched noise permeating the room. I turned off the A/C, unplugged the refrigerator, and still it hummed. Finally, we realized the noise was coming from the bathroom vent. Closing the door helped but we could still hear it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aly W

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the valet service. I will make sure follow up with our management team and the staff for improvement. Please also contact me at 919-768-6011 so I can take care of your valet charges as a gesture of my sincerity.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here with a number of colleagues/friends for 3 nights for a business meeting. The front desk staff were very helpful but really can't say the same for restaurant and bar staff. Certainly the staff at breakfast seemed a bit clueless- like they were school leavers and didn't really know what was expected of them. It took a bit of time every morning to persuade them to bring tea and cofee- it was never offered- and the bill (check) rarely came- then they twittered to those of us still there about the ones that left without signing. Part way through the order for dinner at the bar- the waiter/barman left- another one came and re-took the order as the other one "was called away to room service". It felt like Fawlty Towers at times.
Room was comfortable- once you switch the air-conditioning off and unplug the free-standing fridge. Those inter-communicating rooms are a definite design disaster- the door between the rooms means that any conversation and TV program in the room next door to yours might just as well be in your own room. Luckily my next door neighbour was mostly quiet- and I was only party to a couple of phone calls.
Lobby is very small- as you come in through the main doors what you see is all there is to it (apart from the conference centre which is run by another organisation). Once you check out of your room it's a challenge to find a nice quiet place to work

Room Tip: One without an internal door to the room next door- if such a room exists
1  Thank KP58
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of poor services in our food and beverage outlets. I will make sure following up with our management team and the staff for the improvement. Please give us another chance to experience our hotel if your travel brings you here again so we can take care of you with better service.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel was okay, except for the staff. I travel a lot and I have never seen a more UNPROFESSIONAL Staff as here! I could not get any help with my luggage, and the valet was horrible. I would call for my vehicle before leaving my room and would still have to wait and wait for it. Then, when I returned, I could not get anyone to park it for me, and was told to just leave it and they would move it eventually. Room service brought me coffee, but NO Coffee Cup. The staff desperately needs training on customer service. All they did was stand around and talk to each other. BEWARE!!! Check your bill, as mine was also incorrect. It took a couple of phone calls to get this corrected. VERY POOR MANAGEMENT!!

2  Thank Harleybabe03
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced because of our staff services. Our goal hear at the Durham Marriot is to make sure our guest leaves satisfied and comes back to see us. But we are very sorry to hear that you were not happy. I will share your comments with our staff for the improvement. And we will work and train harder to accommodate your needs lot better in the future. Please give us another chance to experience our hotel by contacting me directly at 919-768-6011 if your travel brings you here again so we can show you Durham Marriott at its best.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Clean and well kept. Rooms were immaculate. Convienently located in downtown Durham. Walking distance to lots of things including Durham bulls and the farmers market. Staff was very helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Megan R
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel in this great city Durham where you can do many good different things. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Nope, not a typical Marriott experience for me, and I stay in a lot of them. The hotel has the "look" and features, but the service was lacking in a few areas:

1. We arrived just before 10:00 PM after a long day of flying. Very hungry. We asked the lead wait staff, "Nope, no food, the kitchen is closed." It was 9:55 PM. Asked the concierge where to get food, he said, "Oh, in our restaurant or bar." But after checking with the wait staff and giving each other the "eye," we were referred to restaurants three blocks away.

2. Woke up in morning, oops, no shampoo. Normally I carry extra, but forgot. It took over 30 minutes for shampoo to arrive, I was then late for meeting, no hair washing for me today.

3. Second night, got into bed, starting watching movies. After an hour or so, my leg started itching. Got out of bed and had 6 bites on one leg, and two on the other. They were fresh. I never did see what caused it, but there was sand in my bed on one side?? I jumped in the other bed, and hoping I survive the night without more bites. No problems with bugs my first night here.

Overall, it looks nice, front desk was friendly and helpful, other staff seemed either overworked, tired, or maybe just lazy, not sure. Wireless was free and worked fine from my room on 6th floor, greatly appreciated.

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with us and we would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced because of some of areas we could have done lot better job for you. Your comments were very sincere and helpful for me to use as tool to train our staff for improvement. Please give us another chance to show you Durham Marriott at its best when your travel brings you back here. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights, over-all had a good sleep and breakfast buffet was teasonable. Basic business hotel, but I saw week-enders and wedding events, so must be a popular place. Location is central and walkable to most restaurants and offices. Free shuttle to selected routes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Wendy_Jeffries, General Manager at Durham Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. Our hotel is located in this great city of Durham where you can do many exciting things. Going to Carolina Theatre, Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham Bulls Baseball, and tasting great food in many popular local restaurants…. Please come back to see us. We will again best accommodate you!