“Great service, good amenities”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham
Ranked #8 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Typically, a Doubletree is a very good business hotel, but I gave this one a higher rating. In this case, I am somewhat biased since the desk personnel upgraded me to a suite. I had a five-star room with a 12-person conference table, bath and a half, huge sitting room, huge bedroom and a double sink with bidet and jacuzzi in the bathroom. I had booked the room on Hotwire, so I was shocked when they upgraded me. In addition to the fantastic room, the hotel is quite nice and the service was great. We did eat in the hotel restaurant, and it was very good and reasonably priced. I had a salad with the freshest sweetest scallops you could ever ask for. The hotel is convenient to the airport and is set back in the woods so you don't get any interstate noise. I really liked it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive review. I am so glad you enjoyed your suite and jacuzzi. The scallops are one of my favorite menu items as well. I will share your comments with our Executive Chef and the front desk team. Exceptional service is our number one priority! All the best.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

please be aware of your room booking. They do not provide you the same room as booked. Very deceiving. Their explanation to this is when you book from any website that Hilton has contract with ( such as Priceline, kayak etc.) they would allocate you the most cheapest room available even if the website clearly states its a double suite double bed room they allocate you double bed or single bed whatever cheapest.

I booked after calling the property if those rooms are available well in advance but none of that proactive approach worked. Instead I paid the price for the double bed room double bed suite and got a double bed. I was highly disappointed and suprized to what Hilton was doing, being myself from transportation industry this is unacceptable and they did not even consider offering any other solution or credit refund or any sort of compensation, all they could say is sorry and mention that they had many complaints about the same issue and have not received any feedback from the corporate office yet. I was like really.. i mean really.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank A B
Carol C, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

I am so sorry you did not receive the room type that you booked. Please contact me at your convenience so that I may address your concerns. My phone number is 919.361.4660.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Took my family here for a weekend get away, and we all had lots of fun. We got the double bedroom suite, and that was more than enough room for us. The kids really enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool. And the paddle boats in the lake were lots of fun, even though the pedal broke on us. Breakfast buffet was awesome!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Don P
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Spacious rooms, wet bar, refrierator, microwave, 2 TVs, comfy beds, patio, pools and spa made this a very enjoyable trip. The grounds are very relaxing as you're tucked away just off I40 but have great views of a lake and waterfall/fountain with a walking trail around the lake. Very picturesque. Rooms are a bit dated and could be a tad cleaner but the spaciousness of the suites more than made up for this minor deficiency. The staff is friendly and accomodating. We have never checked into a hotel so fast - and with warm delicious cookies!

Room Tip: If you're a smoker choose a poolside suite with a patio
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen W

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We will always have a warm chocolate chip Doubletree cookie waiting for you!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Love the lake out back. Makes for a relaxing walk in the morning or later afternoon. And after a long day of travel, you just can't beat a nice warm chocolate chip cookie. I look forward to it when I stay at the Doubletree!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lkabernathy

Thank you for staying with us! Our lake is very beautiful and the walking trail around it is very peaceful. We also offer tennis, paddle boats, volleyball and a large indoor/outdoor pool. We do hope you will visit us again in the near future. We will have a warm Doubletree cookie waiting for you!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Warm cookies = amazing! Bought a tin to take home they were so good :) The room was comfy, nicely decorated (looked very new and up to date), lovely view, and the soap was great! I know that sounds like a weird thing to comment on, but let me tell you, my husband and I stayed here after a long day of moving in hot weather, and our skin felt so smooth and soft after showering with that soap. I really wanted to ask where I could purchase some, unfortunately we had to hit the road early and I forgot to ask. Next time maybe.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BSteph_12

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed our famous Doubletree cookie. Your comments about our soap are also appreciated. Our soap is made especially for Doubletree Hotels by Crabtree & Evelyn and is called Citron (honey & coriander). I do hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The rooms are huge - which is great for a longer stay. We were there for a night, but liked the extra space. Refrigerator and microwave in the room.
We had the AC in our room go out twice, but both times the building engineer was there within minutes to fix it. The second time he came with comp breakfast coupons.
The property is looking a little dated and could use a refresh - but it's clean and located near the interstate. About a 10-15 minute drive to downtown and Duke University.
I would have liked comp WiFi. This is one of those borderline hotel brands, between a Hampton Inn, but not quite Flagship Hilton, where you think you should get the wifi free but don't.
But, unlike a Hampton Inn, they offer amenities like a lobby bar, full restaurant, room service, etc.
If in Durham in the future I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I suspect they get pretty full around Duke University events - plan accordingly
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris1stVA

Thank you for your review we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We will be completing a full renovation over the next few months and I do hope you will come and enjoy our fresh new look. From your review it sounds like you enjoyed our restaurant and bar-- thank you. I will share your comments with our Executive Chef and his team.