“Bring Your Ear Plugs”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We knew we were taking a chance when we booked through Hotwire. Well, we took a chance and lost. This hotel is deceiving; it looks okay, but the problems come out at night. The hotel is extremely loud and is a popular venue for weddings. Our room faced the courtyard where two weddings were held. The music, which went until 10pm, was extremely loud and prevented us from relaxing let alone sleeping. The walls are also very thin. We had to call at 2am to have music from one room turned down and could hear someone snoring in another room. The room, #523, also smelled like fried food. My guess is that the vent from the kitchen was close by. We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: My guess is that rooms opposite the courtyard MAY be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay in Raleigh/Durham. I would like the opportunity to discuss the issues noted on your review. Please contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Don't stay here ever--it's run down, dirty, loud, tacky and there is lousy customer service. Better to sleep in your car.

Room Tip: Sleep anywhere else you can get a reservation.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights (on the 6th floor) and had a very pleasant experience; then we went on an overnight trip, and came back for a whole different experience for the next six nights. We were put in a room on the 3rd floor that was disgustingly dirty. I wiped down surfaces with a white washcloth and it was gray when I was done. The furniture was extremely stained…neither of us wanted to sit on any of it. The bathroom sink was clogged; it would drain slowly and loudly for several minutes after each use. In the morning when I closed the dividing doors, the door handle fell into my hand (it had just been set in the hole). So we asked for a different room – something we had never done before. My husband was given keys to another room down the hall on the 3rd floor, along with apologetic coupons for a breakfast buffet. In the new room, I immediately saw a quarter and two pennies lying on the bedroom counter (obviously it had not been wiped down), but when we checked the door handles on the dividing doors we really had a nasty shock: there was somebody’s dirty personal towel hanging on the handle! My husband called the desk and the manager came up to see the room, then moved us across the hall. This room was better, but it still was not as nice as it should have been. The furniture was still stained, but not as badly; the bathroom counter needed caulking and the toilet handle had to be jiggled after use or it would keep running. One morning I had to finish my shower with freezing cold water (that was miserable!), and the refrigerator solidly froze the water & soda pop we had put in there (we couldn’t find a dial to adjust the temperature). The housekeeping was okay for most of the time, but even with leaving a nice tip each day there were a lot of little things that were “eye-rollers”: a bed pillow that was still on the floor after cleaning, toilet seats left up, dirty glass still by the sink, washcloths left in a pile not folded, empty tissue box not refilled…the list could go on, but we didn’t complain again for fear of being labeled as troublemakers. We don’t feel we are being too picky, with the room prices an expectation of comfort should not unreasonable. And truthfully, coupons for one unremarkable breakfast buffet were pretty poor compensation for what we had to deal with.
We were also surprised that Doubletree is one of the few Hilton properties that do not offer free Wi-Fi. We decided to go ahead and pay the $9.95 one night for Wi-Fi, thinking it was a room charge, but after doing so we found out it was $9.95 for each device! We couldn’t find that information in any of the Doubletree literature in the room; we only were informed after purchasing the Wi-Fi for another device. That extra charge was reversed for us though.
Needless to say, we won’t stay at this property again - our daughter is getting married in Raleigh/Durham next year and we will need to book a place for all of our different families, but it won’t be at this place. Actually we don’t feel so loyal to the Hilton franchise any longer, especially after learning that Hilton Honors really doesn’t offer much to the average vacationer.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times--most recently May 18, 2012. Weekend rates are sometimes lower than during the week and I was able to get a good rate on a room on an upper floor with lake view. I saw walkers, including with baby stroller, taking advantage of the walk around the lake for some scenic excercise. The suite was spacious, particularly the living area which had a choice of seating options--chairs for dining table or desk, upholstered chair ad sofa., The bathroom was a decent size and very clean. Flat screen television is available in both the living area and bedroom area. My room rate included two small bottles of water in the refrigerator and a certificate for the breakfast buffet (customized omelettes are available.) I didn't bring my laptop and used the business center for directions to several destinations. One computer didn't seem to work but another one did and I was the only one using the business center at that time. Families were enjoying the indoor pool. Lots of amenities for the pirce. A somewhat isolated location in a small business park, but if you have a car to get around, it could be a good choice for lodging,

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for lake view. Higher floors are probably quieter in the event of a wedding receptio...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
DTGSDurham, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your great remarks about the hotel. The lakeside terrace is so special. We're the only hotel in the area with such great recreational facilities and lush grounds. We appreciate you staying with us. And, we hope you'll come back often and make this your home-away-from-home on the weekends. Stuart Doring, General Manager.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Although paid for by employer, this hotel staff was very accommodating and the food in the restaurant was impeccable. There was a large variety and was always hot and delicious. They said he was a cook, I say a chef!
It was nice to have pleasant drivers that would take us to nearby mall and restaurants when we wanted to get out for a while.
Thanks DoubleTree for a great 10 day stay.

Room Tip: Take what they offer. They were all great from what I saw and heard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

I have just sent your wonderful comments on the food to our Executive Chef. We love giving our employees a pat-on-the-back. Thank you very much! Complimentary transportation is great for our guests: to/from the Streets at SouthPoint mall, local area restaurants, businesses in the Research Triangle Park area and Raleigh Durham Airport. So glad we could help. Come back and visit us - we love repeat guests.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I live close by, but this is the hotel that I commonly use for a local get-away. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here, and we have had family get-together/reunions here with many out-of-town guests. In the past 3-4 years, I have stayed here about 4-5 times.

I agree that some of the parts of the hotel seem dated, but I have never had a problem with the beds. The only problem I ever had were the french doors once fell apart (I immediately told the front desk, and they said they were aware of similar issues, and not to worry--this happened when I stayed about 2 years ago).

Pros: Standard rooms are LARGE (all true 2 room suites separated by french doors, with refrig, sink and couch/sofa), and most of the time the cost is similar to other near-by hotels of 3-star or above. The pool area is very nice, and is an indoor/outdoor combo pool that is open all-year round. They have a nice sand volleyball court and paddle-boats to rent for a small fee.

Cons: Breakfast is VERY expensive. Look for the deals that include breakfast for a small fee (i.e. $10 more). The tennis court is not well maintained.

Room Tip: Some of the second floor rooms have a huge patio, so if you are there for a family reunion, it can serve as an extra space to socialize.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
DTGSDurham, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

I appreciate your great comments about the hotel. It definitely has some wonderful benefits for friends and family. As you put it, a nice hotel for a local get-away. Over the next year, major renovations will take place to improve any issues you may have incurred. Thank you very much for your continued loyalty. Stuart Doring, General Manager

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Huge rooms! Great to have a refrigerator and kitchen area.
Free wi-fi in the lobby is a great perk.
Had a little trouble finding the hotel, since street signs are difficult to see.
Overall, an excellent stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
DTGSDurham, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Raleigh-Durham, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.

Stuart M. Doring