“Good for price”

Ranked #61 of 71 Hotels in Durham
North Carolina
“Good for price”
Reviewed July 24, 2008

The room was clean, bathroom clean and front staff nice.

Something went wrong with electrical outlets for coffee and orange juice machines for breakfast.

Had a little trouble with card scanning to open room door.

However during our two night stay everything was good especially for the price. It was very close to Duke Children Hospital and we also dropped into the Life and Science museum which is nearby.

There is a D&H caf'e up the exit along with a Boston Market and pizza place but the cafeteria was wonderful.

Overall experience was good

• Liked — location near Duke Children's Hospital
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
US
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Not too wonderful. The rooms are rundown. The neighborhood is sketchy. Service is poor. The room smelled strongly of unpleasant things.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank swimmingwombat
Clyde
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This was the worst hotel ever. We got in at 2 am and there were people in the parking lot, talking etc. and let me just say they were up to no good. There was only enough toliet paper to use 2 times, and there was no refil. After wakeing up and giveing my young child a shower I went to dry her hair before going to the hosp. and the dryer did not work. I called the office, and the lady siad I am sorry I do not know what to do. I told her my child was on her way to get chemo , and it was cold and she didnt need to go out with yet hair, the lady siad I do not know what to tell you, ma'am. When we returned from the hosp, as soon as we came into the room, I noticed that one of the 2 beds had been made up, just one, still NO TOLIET PAPER AND NO TOWELS!!! My mother called down to the front and asked if one of the housekeepers could please bring some, since there carts were still out, they were up stairs. The owner, siad no I can not afford to hire someone to come and deliver things you only paid 44 dollars a night, she siad that we would have to pay a deposit for another hair dryer that didnt even work in the first place. We were told that the person who we made the reservation with should have never told us that it came with a hair dryer. She did not say sorry no nothing, she had no compassion and was very rude. My husband then went uo to the front to ask for a refund that we were going somewere else, we were told no that it was to late and handed some towels and toliet paper, it was told to my husband that he would never find a room as cheap as this was my hubby said your right, I would never find one quite like this......... When we woke up, we checked out and went across the street to the Holiday Inn Express, it was wonderful, and so clean. They were so nice, and the food was great to wake up to. Never stay at Duke INN it looks like a crack, hooker hotel you would see on tv.

• Disliked — Rude owner, bad location
  • Stayed February 2008
1 Thank momof2kids82
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2008
Dear Mom of 2 Kids,

I remember you because it is rare that someone has ever been, in my 20 years of experience, so blisteringly rude to me. I do not accept abusive behavior from anyone, including my guests. No amount of money is worth being spoken too as you spoke to me.

I do not understand why a refundable deposit to use an item is grounds to scream at me.

You had put the Do Not Disturb sign on your door that day, was the bed actually made up?

I would like to add that I did not raise my voice and was simply trying to explain why I could not have items delivered to your room. I will not lie, I was in no way enthused to speak to you, nor did I really want to go out of my way after recieving such treatment. But, there was no one here who could deliver items to your room. Your husband did come to get them.

I am sorry that your little girl is sick. I felt bad for you when you told me, but I still had no one to bring items to you.

You paid no less than 80.00 to stay at a newer hotel with rooms no better than ours. I know there breakfast has more items, but the small collection of items we serve are of the highest quality.

Did any of the gentlemen in the parking lot threaten you? How did you know they were up to no good? Was there any proof that they were up to no good? Did you ask the front desk to have security check on them?

I know who they were: one of our construction groups who like to sit in our park and talk while having a beer. I assure you that you are never safer than when construction workers are around, salt of the earth. Some of the best people I know.

Again, I am sorry your daughter is sick. Deeply sorry.

Wi
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We were at this place for just one night. The staff at the hotel was very helpful. the lady at the reception was very friendly. we wanted to eat at an indian restaurant and she promtly helped us with the place and the directions as well! the internet connection is good and the breakfast was nice too. the room was clean. and TV had a lot of channels.:)
would recommend to friends

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank adate2
North Augusta, SC
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This place is a DUMP!!! I can't believe all of these good ratings.

Filthy, hair in the sink, old clothes and trash in the exterior corridors, toilet did not flush even after complaining twice, housekeeping banging on the door at 9:00 AM wanting to get in the room, leaking bathtub faucet, no filters for the coffee maker, no coffee cups for the coffee that I could not make, noisy. I could go on and on.

Avoid this place at all costs. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — The whole terrible experience (especially the non-flushing toilet).
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2007
Dear Joe,

I am very sorry you did not like our hotel, however, I must disagree. While our place is not for everyone, it is by no means a dump. We strive to provide comfortable accomodations at an affordable price, and while that may mean that some things must be sacrificed, cleanliness is not one of them.

I personally check hotel rooms on a daily basis, our carpets are sterilized every two to three weeks (not cleaned, sterilized), sheets towels and pillowcases are bleached in hot water, and we use high quality anti bacterial cleaning products. If, by chance, you recieved a substandard room, I am sorry and would love to refund your money.

Our hotel, as it is run by people, is not perfect, but it is not a dump by any means.

I was on the property this weekend, and never heard from you concerning these problems. Why was I not given a chance to remedy your complaints before you made such awful claims about us to the entire world. Why was I not given a chance to correct the alleged problems? Is this fair?

I was on the property this weekend and walked it several times, and I did not see trash and old cloths as you describe.

I am sorry, but I feel these claims are exagerated. You may have had a poor experience, and if you did I am sorry. But to advertise this hotel as a dump is unfair.

As a footnote, many hotels raised their prices drastically for the weekend of the 14th. We honored discounts, did not displace a single regular, an honored every reservation. Our rates were the same low rates we always offer. This is our policy, and there is only one weekend a year we raise rates. On that weekend, whereas others double and triple the rates, we only raise ours by a third. We are the most consumer oriented and fair minded hotel in our area. You probably only paid around 40-50 dollars for a room with a continental breakfast, coffee, 5 HBOs, microwave/refrigerator, highspeed internet and a large TV whereas our competitors were charging at least 80 dollars.

We even have live in security that would escort travelers to their rooms late that night.

All I am saying is that we have been fair to you, and would appreciate, at least, a fair evaluation in return.

Our hotel is not a palce, but it is clean, though we are not above mistakes.

Owner
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed September 26, 2007

The americas best value inn carolina duke is a good place to stay for the price. I had a deluxe king room for $50.00 including tax. The room was nice and clean with a large tv and 5 screens of hbo and like usual nothing on hbo worth watching. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in any hotel. The bed was better than the ones in waverly in atlanta. The motel is around 40 years old and it does show it. The breakfast was better than I expected. The people at the front desk were pleasant and knowledgable of the area. The area around the hotel is safe with upscale stores just accross the interstate. The motel is an old motor inn and so I could back my car right back to the door and when traveling with a one yearold and all the baby parafania that was a godsend. My only complaint was that about 2 am some guests got drunk and started running and screaming up and down the stairs by my room. I would stay there again if I ever had to be back in durham but my wife was so P O ed by the drunks that she never wants to return. Front desk friendly and effient ( give them a 5 out of 5). The room was OK give the overall room a 3 and the bed a 5. The clientel when I was there give them about a 2. (really only a 2 to the drunk stair climbers. If it were 100 it would not be worth it but 50 in that area it is well worth it.

• Liked — The wonderful king size bed
  • Disliked — some of the clientel that night
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank routeguy
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind response. It is an honor to hear compliments from our guests.

I am very sorry that there was noise. In the future, please note that we have live in security that is available 24hours a day. Should noise ever be a problem again, call the front desk and we can solve the problem. In fact, we always appreciate the opportunity to correct any problems that you may encounter during your stay.

Owner
United States
Reviewed June 11, 2007

We stayed here for multiple nights, both over the weekend and during the week. The rooms were OK, but for $60+ per night I honestly would have expected better. Lots and lots of noisy activity outside in the parking lot 24/7, the continental breakfast was sparse to say the least, and multiple towels had some scary brown and red stains on them. The bathtub filled up pretty quickly while taking a shower and there was nothing we could do to drain it.

The one really nice thing about the hotel is the proximity to Hog Heaven BBQ, easily the best BBQ in Durham.

The Red Roof Inn and Days Inn, both only a few minutes away, are MUCH better and cost much less.

• Liked — Hog Heaven is only a short walk away!
  • Disliked — The parking lot hangout
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business