“No way!!!”

Carolina Duke Inn
Carolina Duke Inn
Ranked #62 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed February 17, 2008

This was the worst hotel ever. We got in at 2 am and there were people in the parking lot, talking etc. and let me just say they were up to no good. There was only enough toliet paper to use 2 times, and there was no refil. After wakeing up and giveing my young child a shower I went to dry her hair before going to the hosp. and the dryer did not work. I called the office, and the lady siad I am sorry I do not know what to do. I told her my child was on her way to get chemo , and it was cold and she didnt need to go out with yet hair, the lady siad I do not know what to tell you, ma'am. When we returned from the hosp, as soon as we came into the room, I noticed that one of the 2 beds had been made up, just one, still NO TOLIET PAPER AND NO TOWELS!!! My mother called down to the front and asked if one of the housekeepers could please bring some, since there carts were still out, they were up stairs. The owner, siad no I can not afford to hire someone to come and deliver things you only paid 44 dollars a night, she siad that we would have to pay a deposit for another hair dryer that didnt even work in the first place. We were told that the person who we made the reservation with should have never told us that it came with a hair dryer. She did not say sorry no nothing, she had no compassion and was very rude. My husband then went uo to the front to ask for a refund that we were going somewere else, we were told no that it was to late and handed some towels and toliet paper, it was told to my husband that he would never find a room as cheap as this was my hubby said your right, I would never find one quite like this......... When we woke up, we checked out and went across the street to the Holiday Inn Express, it was wonderful, and so clean. They were so nice, and the food was great to wake up to. Never stay at Duke INN it looks like a crack, hooker hotel you would see on tv.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank momof2kids82
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2008

Dear Mom of 2 Kids,

I remember you because it is rare that someone has ever been, in my 20 years of experience, so blisteringly rude to me. I do not accept abusive behavior from anyone, including my guests. No amount of money is worth being spoken too as you spoke to me.

I do not understand why a refundable deposit to use an item is grounds to scream at me.

You had put the Do Not Disturb sign on your door that day, was the bed actually made up?

I would like to add that I did not raise my voice and was simply trying to explain why I could not have items delivered to your room. I will not lie, I was in no way enthused to speak to you, nor did I really want to go out of my way after recieving such treatment. But, there was no one here who could deliver items to your room. Your husband did come to get them.

I am sorry that your little girl is sick. I felt bad for you when you told me, but I still had no one to bring items to you.

You paid no less than 80.00 to stay at a newer hotel with rooms no better than ours. I know there breakfast has more items, but the small collection of items we serve are of the highest quality.

Did any of the gentlemen in the parking lot threaten you? How did you know they were up to no good? Was there any proof that they were up to no good? Did you ask the front desk to have security check on them?

I know who they were: one of our construction groups who like to sit in our park and talk while having a beer. I assure you that you are never safer than when construction workers are around, salt of the earth. Some of the best people I know.

Again, I am sorry your daughter is sick. Deeply sorry.

Reviewed December 5, 2007

We were at this place for just one night. The staff at the hotel was very helpful. the lady at the reception was very friendly. we wanted to eat at an indian restaurant and she promtly helped us with the place and the directions as well! the internet connection is good and the breakfast was nice too. the room was clean. and TV had a lot of channels.:)
would recommend to friends

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank adate2
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This place is a DUMP!!! I can't believe all of these good ratings.

Filthy, hair in the sink, old clothes and trash in the exterior corridors, toilet did not flush even after complaining twice, housekeeping banging on the door at 9:00 AM wanting to get in the room, leaking bathtub faucet, no filters for the coffee maker, no coffee cups for the coffee that I could not make, noisy. I could go on and on.

Avoid this place at all costs. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2007

Dear Joe,

I am very sorry you did not like our hotel, however, I must disagree. While our place is not for everyone, it is by no means a dump. We strive to provide comfortable accomodations at an affordable price, and while that may mean that some things must be sacrificed, cleanliness is not one of them.

I personally check hotel rooms on a daily basis, our carpets are sterilized every two to three weeks (not cleaned, sterilized), sheets towels and pillowcases are bleached in hot water, and we use high quality anti bacterial cleaning products. If, by chance, you recieved a substandard room, I am sorry and would love to refund your money.

Our hotel, as it is run by people, is not perfect, but it is not a dump by any means.

I was on the property this weekend, and never heard from you concerning these problems. Why was I not given a chance to remedy your complaints before you made such awful claims about us to the entire world. Why was I not given a chance to correct the alleged problems? Is this fair?

I was on the property this weekend and walked it several times, and I did not see trash and old cloths as you describe.

I am sorry, but I feel these claims are exagerated. You may have had a poor experience, and if you did I am sorry. But to advertise this hotel as a dump is unfair.

As a footnote, many hotels raised their prices drastically for the weekend of the 14th. We honored discounts, did not displace a single regular, an honored every reservation. Our rates were the same low rates we always offer. This is our policy, and there is only one weekend a year we raise rates. On that weekend, whereas others double and triple the rates, we only raise ours by a third. We are the most consumer oriented and fair minded hotel in our area. You probably only paid around 40-50 dollars for a room with a continental breakfast, coffee, 5 HBOs, microwave/refrigerator, highspeed internet and a large TV whereas our competitors were charging at least 80 dollars.

We even have live in security that would escort travelers to their rooms late that night.

All I am saying is that we have been fair to you, and would appreciate, at least, a fair evaluation in return.

Our hotel is not a palce, but it is clean, though we are not above mistakes.

Owner

Reviewed September 26, 2007

The americas best value inn carolina duke is a good place to stay for the price. I had a deluxe king room for $50.00 including tax. The room was nice and clean with a large tv and 5 screens of hbo and like usual nothing on hbo worth watching. The bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in any hotel. The bed was better than the ones in waverly in atlanta. The motel is around 40 years old and it does show it. The breakfast was better than I expected. The people at the front desk were pleasant and knowledgable of the area. The area around the hotel is safe with upscale stores just accross the interstate. The motel is an old motor inn and so I could back my car right back to the door and when traveling with a one yearold and all the baby parafania that was a godsend. My only complaint was that about 2 am some guests got drunk and started running and screaming up and down the stairs by my room. I would stay there again if I ever had to be back in durham but my wife was so P O ed by the drunks that she never wants to return. Front desk friendly and effient ( give them a 5 out of 5). The room was OK give the overall room a 3 and the bed a 5. The clientel when I was there give them about a 2. (really only a 2 to the drunk stair climbers. If it were 100 it would not be worth it but 50 in that area it is well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank routeguy

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind response. It is an honor to hear compliments from our guests.

I am very sorry that there was noise. In the future, please note that we have live in security that is available 24hours a day. Should noise ever be a problem again, call the front desk and we can solve the problem. In fact, we always appreciate the opportunity to correct any problems that you may encounter during your stay.

Owner

Reviewed June 11, 2007

We stayed here for multiple nights, both over the weekend and during the week. The rooms were OK, but for $60+ per night I honestly would have expected better. Lots and lots of noisy activity outside in the parking lot 24/7, the continental breakfast was sparse to say the least, and multiple towels had some scary brown and red stains on them. The bathtub filled up pretty quickly while taking a shower and there was nothing we could do to drain it.

The one really nice thing about the hotel is the proximity to Hog Heaven BBQ, easily the best BBQ in Durham.

The Red Roof Inn and Days Inn, both only a few minutes away, are MUCH better and cost much less.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank WhoKnows123
Reviewed April 5, 2007

Based on the previous reviews, I did not know exactly whether I would
like this hotel or not. I decided to stay based on the beds, because I have a bad back. The rates were good, the continental breakfast was
more than I would expect, and I liked the people. While it was not a hilton, I also did not pay for the hilton. The room was very nice, and came with a free microwave and refrigerator.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Peachtree_7
Reviewed March 6, 2007

We stayed on a Friday night. Maybe things are better during the week, but I certainly was uncomfortable staying there on a Friday night. Our room was dirty (small pieces of pepperoni from a pizza still on the floor). We had no internet in the room, so I had to leave my kids (15 and 12) in the room so I could work from the lobby. While in the lobby, the police had to be called because of a disturbance in one of the rooms. It was obvious the police have been there many times as they didn't need directions to the room (2 separate police officers), they were just told which room and took off for it. The lady involved in the incident was strung out on drugs. The man came back after an hour and I took off for my room, as I didn't want to be around if something bad happened. On my way back to the room, I had to walk past a couple making out. This motel is NOT a place for families. I checked out EARLY Saturday morning and went across the street to the Holiday Inn Express. Yes more expensive, but worth the piece of mind. I will say that the Front Desk clerk offered me a better room with internet for the same price, but I turned it down. The afternood clerk was surly when I asked about a room with internet, but the other employess were all nice. The evening clerk was excellent in handling the situation of the room disturbance.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank MetMom
BVCarolinaDukeInn, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2007

Dear MetMom,

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here, but I assure you that it was an isolated incidence. You see, I have run this hotel for four years, and in that time there has not been one violent crime on our property. This property is safe, and I am a woman. We have no more problems here than the property across the street, and infact, since the doors are outward facing, we have stronger doors. The door to each of our rooms is more secure than the door at your home, and at the Holiday Inn Express. Statistically speaking, hotels with interior corridors are not safer. Additionally, I am sure people kiss at the other hotels too, but I am sorry that offended you.

We just replaced part of our housekeeping staff in order to ensure cleanliness at our hotel. I wish we had of known, for we would have gladly remedied the problem. All hotels experience a miss in this area occasionally. But I am sorry you had to be the one who experienced it.

Safe travels to you,