“DO NOT STAY HERE WITH YOUR FAMILY - SKETCHY STINKY MOTEL!”
Review of Carolina Duke Inn

Carolina Duke Inn
Carolina Duke Inn
Ranked #61 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Where to begin....took about 30 minutes for us to get checked in at the front desk (Indian guy has no idea whats going on). While waiting we notice the sketchy people floating around the parking lot without cars...pregnant women, old black men with their son, white trashy looking people, Mexicans with white vans. Finally get into our room (thank god we didnt get shanked out in the parking lot!). First thing i notice is the no smoking sign....it smelt like someone went in right before we got there and smoked an entire pack of Marlboro Red's. Next i sit down on the bed....aka a rock with a sheet on it, stiff as anything (thankfully we brought our own pillows, otherwise the aids virus would have seep into my brain). Next i notice that there is a dead bug laying next to my bed on the floor (looked like a roach) my parents also said that there were multiple fly's flying around the room all night. In addition it was Jurassic Park outside of our door (some little kid running up and down the balcony for 2 hours) not to mention other filth that was roaming around outside. Overall i would recommend that any half way decent person go to a name brand place (holiday inn ect) because you will be sketched out beyond belief here. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT GO HERE!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank UMDgraduate2011

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We didn't get to say actually. First room smelled like sour milk and mold. Second room had a broken door. Third room was already OCCUPIED! Forth and last room we tried was a smoking room even though the hotel insisted it wasn't. We left to go someplace else.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank wgliradio
abvidurham, Manager at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear wlgiradio,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am sorry to hear about the negative experience you encountered with us. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Kaupind-GM
Americas Best Value Inn-Durham, NC

Reviewed April 29, 2011

This hotel had multiple women who were soliciting men ALL Night Long!, The Pizza Delivery Guy wouldn't deliver there, unitil I promised him a hefty tip (not kidding), abandoned cars, drivers continouosly cruising the parking lot at slow speeds interested in what I don't know...? The room stated no smoking, but reaked of cigarettes and beer, the towels were clean, but dingy as if bleach wasn't used. There are no alarm clocks available nor coffee pot in the rooms The only upside and the reason why I didn't go to the Holiday Inn Express across the street, the wireless internet worked extremely well; also Duke Hosp Patients the rate is $39 per night so it fit my budget considering the circumstances.

Room Tip: Bring your own alarm clock and towels
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank jumpmaster1
abvidurham, Owner at Carolina Duke Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our service and amenities did not meet your expectations. We wish to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible. We will further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you. Once again, we appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. Please contact us to receive a special discount due to the inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 22, 2010

The rooms were okay. The staff was nice but could not help us turn off the flashing red light on the phone despite multiple requests. If breakfast is important to you, don't stay here. It was Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and white bread. Bed was a little soft but okay. Room was supposed to be non-smoking, but there was still a funny smell.

But the price was right!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reuven61

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking time to share a review about our hotel. We are happy to know you enjoyed our friendly staff. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. We sincerely apologize about the telephone message light not working. We have recently hired a telephone repair company who will be replacing the phone system equipment. Please know that our non-smoking rooms are cleaned and treated each day. We look forward to another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

I normally except the "way the things are" but in this case this motel needs serious attention. Rooms are nice size, but the walls are patched, wall paper falling off, stains on the tub. Breakfast is lacking and the coffee which I tried 3 days tastied strange. One double door to the lobby was blocked with a cone, guess it was broken and not useable. Outside appearance in general is in need of painting. Since we only use a room to sleep, we made due since we had prior reservations.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank elyswede

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our property. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you experienced with us. There is never an excuse for providing anything less than great service. All claims against this property will be further investigated and corrected where necessary. I hope you will give us another opportunity to service your future lodging needs.

Reviewed October 27, 2009

Although I clearly booked a "double deluxe" with 2 king beds, online, they were not able to find my reservation anddenied offering 2 king beds. The room was a dump! The stand/dresser had 3 drawers in it, all broken. The bedding was moderately clean. The floor had not been vacuumed. There wasn't a single waste basket in the room. The next morning, cock roaches were climbing out of the sink. The room had an awful, sickly sweet smell that make everyone ill.

This place was the WORST hotel I have stayed at in my life. Cheap? Not cheap enough considering how hideous this room was!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank RockinDowntheHighway
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I have mixed feelings about this place...On the one hand, the staff is great. I had booked the wrong date and by the time I noticed it, a free cancellation wasn't possible anymore. However, they set the booking on the right date free of charge. I'm grateful for that.

Nonetheless, we didn't have a pleasant experience at all. When we entered the room, we got overwhelmed by an awful tobacco odor. I'm aware Durham is like the cigarette capital of the country, but still... We've stayed in more than one room that smelled like cigarettes, but eventually, you get used to it and don't smell it anymore. Here, though, it kept creeping in our noses until we left. That was very unpleasant, not to say unhealthy. I even had to go outside in the middle of the night, desperate for fresh air.
As far as cleanliness is concerned...those motel carpets are always suspicious, but this one was actually dirty. The same could be said about the room itself and the bathroom. The walls, for their part, are ultra thin; annoying when your neighbors' T.V. is on all night. Luckily we had earplugs.
We didn't ask for another room, because it didn't look like that would be any better.

I feel a bit annoyed I have to write such a bad review, while they've been so courteous, but after this experience, this chain won't see us again soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple