“Good Local Restaurant”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Before going to Watts Grocery for dinner I checked out the menu on line which basically rulled out my having dinner there due to the selections. But I stopped by anyway and enjoyed a very good dinner. This is a local restaurant with a southern flare. I ordered the hushpuppies for an appetizer which were perfectly prepared and were accompanied by a delicious special sauce. For my entree I order the pecan encrusted fish which I believe was Flounder which was also delicious. Instead of having a beer I tried the freshly made house sangria and had to have a second glass. The location is good and has a parking lot. My only complaint was that the server was not as attentive as she could have been.

There are newer reviews for Watts Grocery

Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Our trip here was one of the best surprises on a recent trip through Durham. The duck breast over bbq peas and zucchini was perfect and the fried chicken was amazing.

The staff and bartender were very helpful!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I went to Watts Grocery for a bachelorette dinner. It was everyone in my party's first visit. We made reservations in advance. We were sat in the back by the servers' station. Being so close, you would think we would receive great service, however that was not the case.
Our server was rude and and did not serve us at all. Many request were ignored and she rarely stopped by our table even though she made several trips to the other tables in the section. She never asked how things were or if we needed anything. She gave off the vibe that she was too good to serve us.

The food came and it was beautifully made and delicious. However, even before we were done, another person, who we later learned was the manager, started removing plates with out saying a single word. At this point the service was so bad we asked to speak to the manager. We explained the situation and instead of apologizing for the service, he proceeds to defend her and his own actions.

I have never received such horrible service. I have heard great things about this restaurant but all that praise was shattered by the deplorable customer service. There are too many better restaurants with excellent service to waste your time and money here.

1  Thank Vic238
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Glad we knew to get here before it opened! Nice little restaurant. I wish I liked eggs. Always a problem for me to find something to eat from a brunch menu. Settled on pancakes with a side of berries. Huge portion. My husband had the eggs benedict which he loved. My daughter had some sort of pulled pork sandwich with an egg on top and her boyfriend had an omelet. We all agreed the food was great. Service was very good, staff was very friendly. Restaurant was very clean.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

This was my third time at this restaurant, but first time during lunch. Despite being there on Friday afternoon in summer, the wait staff was attentive, the food was good, and nobody rushed us out of the place after dessert and coffee. Their version of a Cobb salad was quite interesting, made with shrimp instead of chicken. The dessert was even more fun--an ice cream sandwich made with homemade oatmeal cookies and peanut butter ice cream. It tasted MUCH better than it sounds. Check out this cozy cafe!