“What has happened to Watts Grocery?”
Review of Watts Grocery

Watts Grocery
Reserve with OpenTable
Watts Grocery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 791 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Club Blvd
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Today I walked up to Watts Grocery at 12:30 pm and thought it was closed. It has been a while since I've eaten lunch there and it was always full with a vibrant lunch crowd. But today it was nearly empty and now I know why. Horrible meal. I ordered the blueplate which the waiter Alec explained twice as a fried chicken breast with a BBQ glaze. I was served a few strips of chicken pieces fried hard some time ago and then dipped in a bottled sauce, or so it seemed. The cornbread was way overcooked, dry and tasteless. I ordered the dessert cookie which Alec explained to be a chocolate ice cream and cinnamon cookie. He passed by and said it was actually a mocha ice cream on sugar cookie, which I agreed would be fine. Now I know why the switch. That mocha ice cream cookie has been at the bottom of their freezer since meteors erased the dinosaurs. That cookie was a complete and utter embarrassment and nearly broke my teeth. Where are you Amy Tornquist? Please come back. Your restaurant is bad, bad, bad. Will I go back? Uh..no.

1  Thank Paula C

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I would give Watts Grocery 5 points if I would rate their menu, quality of food and service. Their desserts are super as well.
The restaurant is a bit noisy. But everything else is great.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place is amazing! We had the shrimp and grits, huevos rancheros and a homemade English muffin and everything was wonderful. Only complaint was the host was not at all welcoming and sorta rude, but our server behind the bar was excellent. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Weekday lunch, excellent selection of fresh menu items, all well cooked. Erin was capable, informed, extremely pleasant.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Solid upscale Southern specialties. Took. Business group of 20 for dinner. Menu changes regularly as Watts sources their menu supplies locally for a more authentic dining experience. Reservations are encouraged on weekends. The beet salad was a favorite for our group, as were the braised short ribs. Fresh tuna and a delicate flounder were on the fresh catch menu. A hearty pan fried pork loin chop was served over stone grits and local vegetables. The Watts ribeye was perfectly prepared to order. Save room for the banana pudding (order early before they run out!). To top it off, Watts keeps a nice selection of top shelf bourbons and other spirits at the bar. This has become my "go to" restaurant in Durham.