“No wonder they are so popular”
Review of Melo Trattoria

Melo Trattoria
Ranked #37 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had looked at the ranking for restaurants in Durham and decided to try this one since it was No. 7. We had wonderful food, the waiter was engaging and his advice was right on the mark, the food was reasonably priced and of excellent quality. This will be a definite repeat. We really enjoyed the entire experience and apparently others did, too, to brave torrential downpours to come there to eat. The only possible negative is that the dessert menus were different from person to person and some of the items listed are no longer available, and others that are were not listed. Sure glad we took our waiter's advice and tried something new - it was heavenly.

2  Thank Elaine V
There are newer reviews for Melo Trattoria

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Went here for a business meeting. The waiter was friendly and attentive. It's a cute little place and it's your basic Italian Food. I had the mozz/tomato salad (can't remember what they called it) and it was fresh and yummy. Then had their Lasagna, which is not on the menu, but apparently it's a part of the regular offerings? Oh well, it was great and I was given a good portion.

I will agree with another reviewer's comment I read on here, the one place where it's a bit 'off-putting' is the room temperature parker house rolls served complimentary. There has got to be a more Italian Friendly economical bread that you can offer your diners, or at least heat the rolls if nothing else that would improve the offering. You can order garlic bread, I assume that's more authentic, but I didn't try it that night.

So all in all, a good little place. Family friendly Italian, I wouldn't call it fine eating Italian.

2  Thank mtmnj221
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I always try to eat at the local hotspots during my travels. Saw this place listed on TA. I asked the waitress, Mary, for a recommendation and she recommended the lasagna which was not listed on the menu. After ordering, the manager saw me playing with my phone, so he brought over a history book about Italian artcitecture which help take my mind away from work and allowed my to unwind a bit. The food came out shortly after and it was Super Yummy. The lasagna was a perfect portion, well balanced, hot throughout and the sauce was fresh and meaty.

I then asked Mary to pick a dessert and she hit a second home run when she brought out a Tiramisu. Again, well-balanced great favor and melted in my mouth.

Will definitely return when I'm back in the area!!

Thanks to Mary!!!

1  Thank Johnie44
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I love Melo's. They have the BEST Greek Salad that I have ever eaten. I have lunch from Melo's a least once a week. Great food!

2  Thank StephGHarris
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The salmon was great, as was the pasta and soup. Really charming for what looks like a hole-in-the-wall place from across the street. Nice decor. With the fine food, why paper napkins and butter encased in plastic? Staff was attentive without hovering. No wait to be seated and my beverages were topped off without having to ask. Hope it lasts a long time! Nice wine and beer lists --- wish there were a Rioja by the glass.

2  Thank Tsjunkmail