“Not quite as expected.”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Reviewed February 8, 2011

First of all, I want to say that the food at Gugelhupf was faultless. I had a cut noodle dish with spinach and vegetables, that was tasty, well-presented, and more than adequate for my appetite. For dessert I had a round chocolate mousse cake, very delish, and presented with quite a professional flair. The wine was excellent. Hubby had a couple of beers and can attest that the beer selection was outstanding.

The ladies' room had an industrial feel to it, with steel no-skid walls in the stalls, and interesting floor tiles with glass embedded in them. It was clean enough for me, and that should be clean enough for anyone. Likewise I saw no dirt or grime anywhere else. It is a well-maintained place.

Hubby and I had just come off spending three and a half months in Bavaria, so we knew the culture and cuisine there well. Gugelhupf is NOT Bavarian cuisine. Nor is its decor and atmosphere traditional Bavarian. To its credit, it does not try or claim to be. You will not find painted walls and dark woodwork here, and the waitresses definitely do not wear dirndls.

What Gugelhupf is is a place for young urban hipsters. The decor is chrome, glass, steel and art. The music is somewhat too-loud, lively, urban contemporary. In more clement weather there is a patio dining area that is decorated with art, and would be nicely lit up with candles and outdoor lanterns. I would not call it a place for a quiet intimate dinner.

Hubby and I were homesick for the Bavarian countryside and mountains. Our homesickness was not allayed an iota. Gugelhupf was a good restaurant though, if you are into the urban hipster scene. It's a good place for a celebratory graduation dinner or for a group of friends to relax together for a special evening. If it wasn't quite our thing, it's sure to be someone else's.

1  Thank Eleanor G
There are newer reviews for Guglhupf Cafe

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I dont understand why this place gets such high ratings. Went there because of the reviews, I think place was overpriced.Food was decent at best

Reviewed August 9, 2010

My wife and I heard the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is a "foodie" hotspot. We were hoping to experience something fun and new, and Guglkupf did not disappoint. The small plates section of the menu were small enough for my wife and I to share a few of them because we couldn't decide on just two. The sweetbreads were so savory and rich. The lamb chops were cooked perfectly. The fresh blueberry vinegarette tasted like it was prepared only moments before it was served. The atmosphere is inviting as well, whether inside or out in the lovely garden patio.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Love the black pepper Parmesan bread the bakery sells on Saturdays.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 5, 2009

OK. So I've been in Durham for a couple weeks and have finally had my eyes opened and my taste buds sent into euphoria at the first nibble of a Guglhupf Bretzel. The rolls, bretzels, breads, fruit torte and chocolate danish have all been delectable. This was only my first visit but certainly won't be my last.
I'll be stocking up on more stuff tomorrow AM and it seems as though the restaurant right next to the bakery is very busy. Locals know all about this place and frequent it with delight.
I look forward to my next stop and next bite of a delicious bretzel roll...and I think I'll try a Berliner tomorrow!

2  Thank Aliveguy