“Fresh, Adventurous, Friendly, and Beautiful”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 791 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Reviewed August 9, 2010

My wife and I heard the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is a "foodie" hotspot. We were hoping to experience something fun and new, and Guglkupf did not disappoint. The small plates section of the menu were small enough for my wife and I to share a few of them because we couldn't decide on just two. The sweetbreads were so savory and rich. The lamb chops were cooked perfectly. The fresh blueberry vinegarette tasted like it was prepared only moments before it was served. The atmosphere is inviting as well, whether inside or out in the lovely garden patio.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Love the black pepper Parmesan bread the bakery sells on Saturdays.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 5, 2009

OK. So I've been in Durham for a couple weeks and have finally had my eyes opened and my taste buds sent into euphoria at the first nibble of a Guglhupf Bretzel. The rolls, bretzels, breads, fruit torte and chocolate danish have all been delectable. This was only my first visit but certainly won't be my last.
I'll be stocking up on more stuff tomorrow AM and it seems as though the restaurant right next to the bakery is very busy. Locals know all about this place and frequent it with delight.
I look forward to my next stop and next bite of a delicious bretzel roll...and I think I'll try a Berliner tomorrow!

2  Thank Aliveguy
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We met friends at the Guglhupf for dinner over the weekend and it is a real find. It gets it's name from the bakery that is at the front of the establishment. The dramatic entrance to the restaurant is on the side, down a few broad steps to the patio and fountain. Very attractive and architecturally pleasing dining on two levels with patio dining available.
The service was attentive without being obtrusive. Nice wine list and a broad assortment of menu items. My short ribs were outstanding, quite lean, melt-in-your-mouth and far and away the best I've ever had. My partner felt the same way about her salmon--and she eats a lot of salmon. We both enjoyed the apple crostada served with cinnamon flavored ice cream.
It was a delightful evening.

1  Thank Sanford_NCSnowman
Reviewed October 26, 2009

This place is a real find. great coffee and homemade pastries and a lovely indoor/outdoor patio. They have just started serving dinner and I had the best short ribs of my life.