“Very Good Food and Service”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 785 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have been here numerous times...prefer warmer weather when we can eat outside, as the patio is a great outdoor dining spot. Inside has little atmosphere and the tables are close together and its a little noisy....but the food is consistently very good to excellent and their selection of high quality German beers is also excellent. Service tends to be very good, as well. Highly recommended.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I called asking for reservations for my group of gals (24 of us) for lunch one day. They told me they can't and won't accommodate my group. Said no room which I can understand, but the rudeness of gal answering phone was uncalled for. She said they can't and won't accommodate us and to go elsewhere. Wow, are U that arrogant that U think U don't need the business. One of my gals went there last weekend with her hubby and showed up at 2:20pm and when the door girl said brunch was until 2:30 they ran up to the window and ordered. Man behind counter said we are closed at 2:30 and needed to clean for 5pm dinner service, she said I know but it is 2:20pm and we drove out of our way to try this place, then he turned around and started arguing with the other guy in kitchen which made other patrons leave. She did get her food but was afraid what they did to it. I would go elsewhere, or just don't have high expectations.

2  Thank LOVESJESUS
Reviewed February 23, 2014

So disappointed after reading all the positive reviews. Arrived at 5:45 pm since we had an 8 pm curtain at DPAC. Things started out well and quickly went bad. Apparently snafu in kitchen regarding menu ticket generation from computer terminal for line cook. Blah, blah, blah. Entrees finally arrived after 7! Management NEVER came by! Looking forward to NEVER coming back. This is my FIRST negative review on Tripadvisor, but this was warranted!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

When Guglhupf started it was a Bakery - a very Good Bakery - the Christmas Stollen is shipped all over the USA. But it has morphed into so much more and has a wonderful restaurant with outdoor seating now also. The lunches are superb and like most of Durham's restaurants they maximize the use of locally grown produce and animals. Lunch dinner morning coffee or dinner - your choice - all tasty and a great value. Specialty breads are a real local treasure also.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I looked this place up after reading all the reviews on here and we weren't disappointed. The place was actually kind of hard to find since it is tucked back and the GPS had a hard time but we arrived close to closing time and chose to sit outside. The food was excellent my Wiener schnitzel was moist and very good. Our waiter was very good, quick and professional I felt as if we stumbled into a fine dining establishment just based on the service. The food was great the service was great and the outdoor seating area added quite a bit of atmosphere for our dinner, I'd highly recommend to stop in if you are in the area.