“When in doubt, we go here”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Cafe, European, German
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Durham, North Carolina
“When in doubt, we go here”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the restaurant we've been to way more than any other in Durham. Brunch, lunch, dinner--all are consistently excellent. When we're in between trips to Europe, this is where we go to get our fix for pastries and food that is European in style but not slavishly so. It's family friendly, so we can take the grandchildren for brunch, and we can dine in style with friends in the evening. The bakery takeout is also one of our favorites, and we'd probably be there every couple of days if we lived a bit closer. We were thrilled when the bakery first opened, were ecstatic when they expanded to the restaurant, and we have never been disappointed.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Great German bakery in Durham”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The weekend brunch is very popular--don't be dismayed by the line out the door! Service is fast. Parking isn't easy when it's busy, and you may have to dash across 15-501.

I love going to pick up cheese pretzels and pretzel rolls and other real German baked goods.

Bahama
“Dinner with friends.”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Dinner was great. If you are wanting to eat fast and leave then wait until you have time to enjoy the meal. We met at 5:30 and didn't leave until 7:15. Dinner was leisurely and the food was excellent. Coffee and dessert ended this meal. The coffee ice cream really tasted of coffee and was above and beyond any I've had anywhere else. Yum!

Durham, North Carolina
“Reviews suggested excellence, but I didn't quite experience that”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've only been once, for lunch, and found the food to be good, though not outstanding; the ordering process (finding a line in a crowd to place and pay for order, then go to a table to wait) was a little cumbersome and rushed; and there was no apparent service (other than self-service). The patio area for eating was, however, lovely.
After lunch, I went to the adjoining bakery and bought croissants and a loaf of bread, expecting the excellence about which I had read so much. The croissants were a bit bland, and the bread was very hard (hard to cut and hard/dry to eat). Other reviews suggest this may have just been an off day, but I add this review to say that the restaurant and bakery may not be excellent all the time.

Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Best restaurant in Durham”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

For my wife and I, this is our preferred Durham dinner destination. The cheese plate is delicious, as is the daily fish special (no matter what day it is). I've never had a bad meal from there.

One recommendation I have is to eat upstairs if possible. I've had some issues with slow service downstairs; this has never happened upstairs, and it's a quieter atmosphere up there.

I'm also the only person in my group of friends who doesn't love their desserts. I think they taste fine, but they're a little fru-fru for me.

• Visited August 2012

Been to Guglhupf Cafe? Share your experiences!