“How did it take us so long to get here!”
Review of Guglhupf Cafe

Guglhupf Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Guglhupf Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 780 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hope Valley Road
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Outstanding! I can't believe how filling my vegetarian and gluten free my meal was! I had the heirloom tomato special with the lentil soup and my husband had the turkey, brie, apple sandwich with the cucumber salad. All were awesome. Be prepared for a wait, we had to wait well over 40 minutes for our meal. We will be back again!

There are newer reviews for Guglhupf Cafe

Reviewed June 12, 2011

Don't choose their wedding cake. Decent omelets and brunch overall. Atmoshere is bustling. That evening we attended a wedding with a wedding cake from Guglhupf. We had high expectations which absolutely were dashed. It was dry, inedible, and totally disappointed us. We guessed that the cake was made a week before the wedding and had gotten stale. Worst wedding cake EVER. Great wedding.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

Excellent for lunch, brunch and dinner! Selections are always innovative, interesting, and absolutely delicious. Beautiful outside dining area encased in stone walls, water runs, umbrellaed tables and just enough chatter among guests to be fun! Highly recommend this lovely restaurant, their delicious bakery specialties, and good wine list for those with a discriminating taste for fun and yum!

Reviewed February 25, 2011

We had lunch here recently, having since Guglhupf mentioned in the tourist information and my niece said that she and her husband really like it. The lunch menu was really interesting -- hard to select just one thing. I had the grilled cheddar and bosc pear sandwich, and my husband had the ham and cheese. Both came with a green salad that had a wonderful dressing. Both of us were very pleased.

My husband had green tea, and I had rooibos chai. I was so pleased -- I really don't tolerate regular tea very well, but I love chai! The place was busy (and it was mid-week) but not so busy that we felt like we had to hurry and make room for other people. We enjoyed just sitting there and enjoying the atmosphere.

Then we went next door to the bakery and had a terrible time trying to narrow down our choices of what to take home with us. Our recommendations are the blueberry cheese danish and the raspberry chocolate brownie.

We'll be back in Durham next month, and we'll be back at Guglhupf for lunch, and then another visit to the bakery.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

First of all, I want to say that the food at Gugelhupf was faultless. I had a cut noodle dish with spinach and vegetables, that was tasty, well-presented, and more than adequate for my appetite. For dessert I had a round chocolate mousse cake, very delish, and presented with quite a professional flair. The wine was excellent. Hubby had a couple of beers and can attest that the beer selection was outstanding.

The ladies' room had an industrial feel to it, with steel no-skid walls in the stalls, and interesting floor tiles with glass embedded in them. It was clean enough for me, and that should be clean enough for anyone. Likewise I saw no dirt or grime anywhere else. It is a well-maintained place.

Hubby and I had just come off spending three and a half months in Bavaria, so we knew the culture and cuisine there well. Gugelhupf is NOT Bavarian cuisine. Nor is its decor and atmosphere traditional Bavarian. To its credit, it does not try or claim to be. You will not find painted walls and dark woodwork here, and the waitresses definitely do not wear dirndls.

What Gugelhupf is is a place for young urban hipsters. The decor is chrome, glass, steel and art. The music is somewhat too-loud, lively, urban contemporary. In more clement weather there is a patio dining area that is decorated with art, and would be nicely lit up with candles and outdoor lanterns. I would not call it a place for a quiet intimate dinner.

Hubby and I were homesick for the Bavarian countryside and mountains. Our homesickness was not allayed an iota. Gugelhupf was a good restaurant though, if you are into the urban hipster scene. It's a good place for a celebratory graduation dinner or for a group of friends to relax together for a special evening. If it wasn't quite our thing, it's sure to be someone else's.

1  Thank Eleanor G

Been to Guglhupf Cafe? Share your experiences!