“Outstanding Service”

Piedmont Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Piedmont Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 793 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seminary Avenue
Description: Piedmont Restaurant has cultivated a loyal following by creating an adventurous, seasonal dining experience in the heart of downtown Durham. We shine a light on foods harvested and raised in North Carolina, including from our sister farm in Hillsborough, Coon Rock Farm. Chef John May’s inspired cuisine showcases local ingredients in classic Southern dishes, reimagined with an inventive spirit. Our regionally focused craft cocktail program, North Carolina craft beers, and extensive and award-winning wine list designed by Crawford Leavoy complete our modern farm-to-table experience.
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We go to Piedmont once per year. The service this time was among the best I have ever seen at any restaurant. The servers served and cleared from the correct sides and were very attentive. But most importantly was how the restaurant handled a complaint we had.
One of us ordered the wahoo, which he enjoyed. Two of us ordered the skirt steak which came with smoked North Carolina corn, haricot verts, okra, Blue Merle Farm’s garlic-confit fingerlings, and mojo verde. The vegetable side was fresh and tasted excellent. The steak was very flavorful but almost impossible to eat because it was extremely tough and chewy. One of my dinner companions could only down half of his. Our waiter was extremely apologetic and offered to bring us another steak. We decided against that because we assumed another slice would be just as tough as the first two were. Almost immediately after that a manager appeared and offered a new steak or anything else off the menu we wanted as a replacement. We were pressed for time, so we declined. A few minutes later, another manager arrived and made us the same offer. They both asked if there was anything that could be done to make amends. All employees seemed genuinely concerned that we didn't enjoy our food. We were shocked when, at the end of the meal, three desserts, one for each of us at the table arrived, complements of the house. All three desserts were amazing: 1) fried cherry pie, peach compote, and sweet corn ice cream, 2) sticky date cake, salted caramel ice cream, dulce de leche, with caramelized white chocolate, and 3) coconut cake, almond crisp, bittersweet chocolate sorbet, and burnt caramel.
This restaurant has improved since our last visit a year ago, and because of the superb service we received, we will be going back soon!

1  Thank RaleighFrench

Reviewed August 19, 2014

At our first visit to Piedmont, we attended the cheese makers dinner. What a treat!
Each course had fresh, clean tastes that showcased each ingredient. No detail was overlooked in terms of presentation. Plates were beautiful, but did leave me wanting more....

1  Thank Jo58-46
Reviewed August 4, 2014

It was a Sunday early evening in Durham, NC and we kept finding that eateries were not open. I went to TripAdvisor and found the Piedmont. We made a reservation and drove over there. It is not common for us to order an appetizer, but the items on the menu beckoned! We started with the Heirloom Tomato salad. For the entree' my wife ordered and enjoyed the Pan-seared Carolina tile (fish) and I also enjoyed the Skirt Steak. It was cooked to perfection and was very tender. Don't pass up the deep fried pie and corn ice cream; it may make you wonder, but it is excellent.

The service was excellent; they were very attentive, friendly, and efficient. It was interesting to learn the building had been a Nash car dealership many years ago.

My wife grades me on my restaurant choices and with the Piedmont, I scored a 10+!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We headed to Piedmont for our first visit on a Tuesday night for a 5:45 reservation . We were not the first ones there. Started out with the smoke trout dip and house-made lavash crackers. Nice portion size to share and great flavor. I had the pan-seared Maple Leaf Farm’s duck breast, with Root Down Farm’s brown butter carrots, shaved beets,black berries, swiss chard, creamy Anson Mill’s farro antica which was excellent. The duck was perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I am not a fan of beets but with the the carrots these were quite good. My husband had the skirt steak which I really didn't get to taste as he wolfed it down. We were going to split a dessert but could not decide which one so he got the berry pie with lemon ice cream and I got the date cake with salted caramel ice cream. They were both good but I think I liked the pie better. We were also surprised at how crowded the restaurant got on a Tuesday night. Our bill was about 100 for two. This is a wonderful option in downtown Durham.

1  Thank DurhamMomof2
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had a fabulous dinner at Piedmont. This is quality "farm to table food" with the freshest ingredients used in creative combinations that work. The chilled corn soup with barbecued shrimp was a beautiful blend of sweet and savory, a real pleasure. The heirloom tomato salad had wonderful flavor and the ricotta was light and delicately flavored. My tile fish was perfectly cooked and the duck entree was truly outstanding. Desserts were very special-leave room, they are not to be missed. The service was perfect-informative, helpful but not intrusive. This really was a dinner to remember.

1  Thank NFKBNJ