“Good experience”

Piedmont Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Piedmont Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 765 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seminary Avenue
Description: Piedmont Restaurant has cultivated a loyal following by creating an adventurous, seasonal dining experience in the heart of downtown Durham. We shine a light on foods harvested and raised in North Carolina, including from our sister farm in Hillsborough, Coon Rock Farm. Chef John May’s inspired cuisine showcases local ingredients in classic Southern dishes, reimagined with an inventive spirit. Our regionally focused craft cocktail program, North Carolina craft beers, and extensive and award-winning wine list designed by Crawford Leavoy complete our modern farm-to-table experience.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good experience”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Reservation was honored on time and staff was friendly and efficient across the boards. Did not love the Frito Misto but it was as described. Warm Cabbage Salad excellent. Gnocchi very tasty too. Nice beer selection

• Visited February 2013

RTP54
“do not eat here”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The grass fed beef was tough and COLD, the sweet potatoes with it were bland. The fish sounded great but the spicy broth tasted like a jar of clam juice. What is up with no bread? If there is no salt or pepper on the table then the wait staff needs to offer freshly ground pepper. Apple tart for desert was bland and not very attractive. Way way way overpriced. I have eaten here before and liked it- liked it enough that this was my 6th or 7th time back but the food was so horrible that I was ashamed that I had been the one to pick the restaurant on the evening we ate here.

• Visited January 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“going down hill”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our gnocchi arrived cold and gooey. After the kitchen warmed it up it was just hotter but still undercooked. Rest of the food was just so so. I won't go back.
Also, they didn't have our reservation in their system. Turned out not to matter since the place was empty. First I thought it was bad weather, because it is snowing out, but really, it must be the food.

• Visited January 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Unusual in Durham”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

One of my favorite restaurants in Durham, I was born here so I try out anything that doesn't reek of seafood. lt used to be an almost weekly thing to eat lunch there, I'm sad it's only supper now. It's hard to predict how anything is going to taste exactly, "not that that's a bad thing" as the old tv show said.
I've heard it's supposed to be a French country cooking deal, whatever that is, but they have Italian dishes, southern meals, French meals, and others that are hard to identify, but it's all good, some better than others. The way to make sure you are going to like the meal here is to chat with the server. They really know there stuff and don't have a problem talking about it. Not every place does this you know.
One thing you might not like is some of the seating ain't great. I don't like to sit facing a wall, when the opposite seat has a great view of the folks in the restaurant, and there are interesting people there. The bar can get crowded and you can feel like you are in the middle seat on a small plane, which is a probem with me since I'm a large guy. That said, check it out and remember to chat with the folks before you order. Bob Ross

• Visited July 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“local food, unusual, delicious”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Piedmont is one of those restaurants offering local food - uniquely prepared. Yes, it's pricey, but well worth the treat - and the new ideas for home cooking are priceless. Servers are exceptionally attentive, and knowledgeable...we asked lots of questions!
I think I don't care for chestnuts, but wanted to, and did, try the green bean salad - wonderful. And the kale caesar - who would have thought?!
One of my dining companions and I shared 'Pasta al Forno' - exceptional! Warm and comforting.
Try some of the cocktails - I'm a simple wine drinker myself, but I tasted the cocktails ordered by some of my companions...and they are delicious!
Our waitress was laid back, yet informative...and responsive to our time limits (my group was going on to a concert at the Carolina Theater, just a short walk away). We'll be returning to Piedmont.

• Visited November 2012