“going down hill”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seminary Avenue
Description: Piedmont Restaurant has cultivated a loyal following by creating an adventurous, seasonal dining experience in the heart of downtown Durham. We shine a light on foods harvested and raised in North Carolina, including from our sister farm in Hillsborough, Coon Rock Farm. Chef John May’s inspired cuisine showcases local ingredients in classic Southern dishes, reimagined with an inventive spirit. Our regionally focused craft cocktail program, North Carolina craft beers, and extensive and award-winning wine list designed by Crawford Leavoy complete our modern farm-to-table experience.
Durham, North Carolina
“going down hill”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our gnocchi arrived cold and gooey. After the kitchen warmed it up it was just hotter but still undercooked. Rest of the food was just so so. I won't go back.
Also, they didn't have our reservation in their system. Turned out not to matter since the place was empty. First I thought it was bad weather, because it is snowing out, but really, it must be the food.

• Visited January 2013

Durham, North Carolina
“Unusual in Durham”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

One of my favorite restaurants in Durham, I was born here so I try out anything that doesn't reek of seafood. lt used to be an almost weekly thing to eat lunch there, I'm sad it's only supper now. It's hard to predict how anything is going to taste exactly, "not that that's a bad thing" as the old tv show said.
I've heard it's supposed to be a French country cooking deal, whatever that is, but they have Italian dishes, southern meals, French meals, and others that are hard to identify, but it's all good, some better than others. The way to make sure you are going to like the meal here is to chat with the server. They really know there stuff and don't have a problem talking about it. Not every place does this you know.
One thing you might not like is some of the seating ain't great. I don't like to sit facing a wall, when the opposite seat has a great view of the folks in the restaurant, and there are interesting people there. The bar can get crowded and you can feel like you are in the middle seat on a small plane, which is a probem with me since I'm a large guy. That said, check it out and remember to chat with the folks before you order. Bob Ross

• Visited July 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“local food, unusual, delicious”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Piedmont is one of those restaurants offering local food - uniquely prepared. Yes, it's pricey, but well worth the treat - and the new ideas for home cooking are priceless. Servers are exceptionally attentive, and knowledgeable...we asked lots of questions!
I think I don't care for chestnuts, but wanted to, and did, try the green bean salad - wonderful. And the kale caesar - who would have thought?!
One of my dining companions and I shared 'Pasta al Forno' - exceptional! Warm and comforting.
Try some of the cocktails - I'm a simple wine drinker myself, but I tasted the cocktails ordered by some of my companions...and they are delicious!
Our waitress was laid back, yet informative...and responsive to our time limits (my group was going on to a concert at the Carolina Theater, just a short walk away). We'll be returning to Piedmont.

• Visited November 2012
Raleigh
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had high hopes for Piedmont, but it was a big disappointment being very over-priced. Our experience started with a lot of attitude and petulance by the hostess upon asking if we could sit at a different table rather than the claustrophobic one wedged in the corner we were initially seated at (half the dining room was unoccupied at 5:45pm and we had a reservation so what was the big deal?). A $20 chicken dish consisted of one drumstick and a small piece of dark meat from an unidentified part of the bird. I'm sorry, at $20 for chicken, one should at least get a breast, not a drumstick. No vegetables are served with the entrees and the restaurant charges for bread (!). With a bottle of wine (I ordered the cheapest on the menu at $32), the dinner was close to $100 for two with no appetizers or dessert. There are many other far better, far less expensive restaurants in Durham to choose from. I suggest people give Piedmont a miss until they correct their over-priced, under-delivering menu and better train their hostesses.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank MarkSJ
NC
“Just Okay...”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A friend of mine who is a foodie and I went. We both thought the entrees were great but found the starter and desert to be less than stellar. Pricey for what you get but would tell others to try it if you have some money to spend. I was not blown away and should have been for some of the prices.

• Visited April 2012