“local food, unusual, delicious”

Piedmont Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Piedmont Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 791 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Seminary Avenue
Description: Piedmont Restaurant has cultivated a loyal following by creating an adventurous, seasonal dining experience in the heart of downtown Durham. We shine a light on foods harvested and raised in North Carolina, including from our sister farm in Hillsborough, Coon Rock Farm. Chef John May’s inspired cuisine showcases local ingredients in classic Southern dishes, reimagined with an inventive spirit. Our regionally focused craft cocktail program, North Carolina craft beers, and extensive and award-winning wine list designed by Crawford Leavoy complete our modern farm-to-table experience.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Piedmont is one of those restaurants offering local food - uniquely prepared. Yes, it's pricey, but well worth the treat - and the new ideas for home cooking are priceless. Servers are exceptionally attentive, and knowledgeable...we asked lots of questions!
I think I don't care for chestnuts, but wanted to, and did, try the green bean salad - wonderful. And the kale caesar - who would have thought?!
One of my dining companions and I shared 'Pasta al Forno' - exceptional! Warm and comforting.
Try some of the cocktails - I'm a simple wine drinker myself, but I tasted the cocktails ordered by some of my companions...and they are delicious!
Our waitress was laid back, yet informative...and responsive to our time limits (my group was going on to a concert at the Carolina Theater, just a short walk away). We'll be returning to Piedmont.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had high hopes for Piedmont, but it was a big disappointment being very over-priced. Our experience started with a lot of attitude and petulance by the hostess upon asking if we could sit at a different table rather than the claustrophobic one wedged in the corner we were initially seated at (half the dining room was unoccupied at 5:45pm and we had a reservation so what was the big deal?). A $20 chicken dish consisted of one drumstick and a small piece of dark meat from an unidentified part of the bird. I'm sorry, at $20 for chicken, one should at least get a breast, not a drumstick. No vegetables are served with the entrees and the restaurant charges for bread (!). With a bottle of wine (I ordered the cheapest on the menu at $32), the dinner was close to $100 for two with no appetizers or dessert. There are many other far better, far less expensive restaurants in Durham to choose from. I suggest people give Piedmont a miss until they correct their over-priced, under-delivering menu and better train their hostesses.

1  Thank MarkSJ
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A friend of mine who is a foodie and I went. We both thought the entrees were great but found the starter and desert to be less than stellar. Pricey for what you get but would tell others to try it if you have some money to spend. I was not blown away and should have been for some of the prices.

1  Thank NChotelrater
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Piedmont is by all accounts an extraordinary restaurant. We've been there about six times. Showcasing its use of local produce, this restaurant can be compared to some of the finest eating establishments in the U.S. Hyperbole, no. Servers know there stuff whether its the food or the wine. It really stands as a symbol of how Durham is turning into a world class small city. And oh, the desserts are quite dangerous. Perfect place for "date night" away from the kids. Clientele is discriminating, but groovy, like the downtown surroundings.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

I'm a local who has eaten here a fair bit. It's somewhat hit or miss. The food was delicious the last time we visited, but the portions were very small. They had lots of local unusual cuts of meat.