“An Unexpected Gem”

Ranked #4 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
Seneca, South Carolina
“An Unexpected Gem”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Not only were the suites well appointed, clean and uniquely decorated, but the graciousness and generosity of hosts Frank and Dolly were beyond our expectations. When the weather caused closings of all the nearby restaurants, Dolly had a most welcomed meal awaiting us late in the evening. The hosts went out of their way to accommodate others who were stranded by the winter snow and showed great concern for our safety and well being. We know we will be welcomed just as genuinely when we return again. A delightful experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We spent Christmas week visiting family in Durham, NC and stayed at this truly unique B&B. The history of the building itself was fascinating but even more so was the story of how Frank & Dolly dedicated themselves to its full restoration. It is well worth the staying there just to meet them.

The house is eclectically decorated with antiques and contemporary pieces. It is a delight to see. Bedrooms are well appointed and most comfortable.

Breakfast each day offered a different delicious dish served with good cheer and conversation.

I most tell you that it was out first time there. We found it on our web search for B&B's in Durham. The website got us interested and then the phone call with Frank sealed the deal. What wonderful people. We will be back again in April and cannot wait!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank David-Michael K
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I lucked out when I found The Blooming Garden Inn! I was in Durham by myself for a month, originally staying at an Extended Stay, but after a bad experience I packed my bags and went to check out a B&B. When I pulled into the Blooming Garden, Frank and Dolly took me into their lovely home for three weeks. During that time, they made me feel safe, and like one of the family. Frank made the best crust less spinach quiche I ever had, and Dolly always had a beautiful bowl of fresh fruit waiting for the guests every morning. When I returned in the evening, I looked forward to seeing them and telling about my day. Great conversations! I will return to Durham just to stay there again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Dolly and Frank welcomed us with a glass or two of wine and were able to give us plenty of information about what to do in Durham. Frank even drove us to his favourite restaurant. We stayed in the Moroccan Room which was well appointed if a little eccentric. We enjoyed Frank's home made breakfast with an English friend of the family who had been invited to make us feel at home. A great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Durham for a comedian at the Carolina Theater. As this was an impromptu trip we decided to also get a room. After learning that pretty much all the hotels in the area were occupied we call The Blooming Garden Inn. What a breath of fresh air. From the moment we called to the time that we left we were embraced with hospitality. Frank and Dolly were exceptional and the house was a feast for the eyes with memorabilia and trinkets encompassing every nook. Beautiful fresh cut flowers and tall ceilings through out the house. We arrived late from the show at the Theater and had not yet had dinner. Frank drove us himself to a nearby restaurant so that we could grab a bite to eat and after dinner drink. When we got back to the inn the couple had made our room feel just like home. I would recommend this Inn to anyone. It was so delightful and who can turn down beautiful quiet rooms and fresh cut fruit, pancakes, and sausage for breakfast?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My fiancé and I made plans to come to Durham to see a musical performer at the Carolina Theater. We found Blooming Garden Inn to be close to our venue and decided to stay there. We weren't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised!
Upon arrival we were welcomed in and offered tea and treats. We talked about why we were here etc. They offered advice on places to eat and even offered to make the reservation for us. The breakfast was amazing and I loved the attention to detail. Our hosts Dolly and Frank were very friendly and helpful. And the best part was the theater was walking distance so we didn't have the headache of trying to find parking. We felt safe walking, and safe in the neighborhood we were staying in.
We had an amazing time here and will definitely come back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the moroccan room. I loved the decor! Our bathroom was across the hall but it wasn'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Winterville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I were greeted by our first name when we entered this delightful Victorian house. The Inn Keepers, Frank & Dolly, are most gracious as they respected our privacy and at the same time were willing to share their personal experiences and historical backgrounds of the many antiques that fill their inn. Outside our room was a seating area on part of the larger wrap around porch. We enjoyed watching the sun go down in an old glider and taking a moment from our busy lives to relax. We ran in a road race early on a Sunday morning and Frank and Dolly held breakfast (really a brunch) for us. I am not sure if it was running before breakfast or the fresh eggs, fruit, and hot bread with Amish butter and raw honey we were served--regardless, the meal was wonderful. We look forward to our next trip to Durham and will be sure to book a room at the Blooming Garden Inn.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room on the first floor and did not see the other rooms (occupied). We liked the ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple