“A Trip to Durham NC”

Blooming Garden Inn and Holly House
Blooming Garden Inn and Holly House
Ranked #4 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Blooming Garden Inn is an amazing place to stay in Durham. It has the warmth of home away from home. When we travel over 4 to 5 hours we usually crash for a nap immediately to straighten out our backs but when we were greeted by Frank we were drawn in by his welcome. We forgot to bring our bags in for two hours! After the tour of the home we heard the sweet “Welcome” by Dolly as she entered the room in her flowing long dress. We felt we already knew her well as Frank had told us tenderly of all she’d done to decorate and manage the restoration. As we sat in their parlor sipping our wine we enjoyed their conversation, knowledge of the area and their genuine interest in us. We felt very special and quickly became friends with a lot in common. Since Robin had restored the Lincoln House in Columbus Mississippi he could appreciate first hand the hurclean task Dolly and Frank accomplished in restoring this distressed property. In hearing them talk about the college course they taught on restoration we are certain they would be the expert advisors! Finally with our luggage in the room we retired to the privacy of The Ivey Room to dress for dinner at a downtown restaurant with our son and his special friend. Our one night stay was very pleasant and such a breath of fresh air.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peggy D

Reviewed May 16, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here while visiting Duke University and we loved it! It was very convenient, just minutes from the campus. The beds were very cozy. We especially enjoyed the healthy homemade breakfasts served in beautiful antique dishes. When we came home at night we felt like we were coming home to friends, Dolly and Frank were eager to hear how our day went and were full of great advice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank llarthur
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My daughter and I loved the Blooming Garden Inn. We only stayed one night but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Frank and Dolly made us feel like old friends. The house is a real treat - a feast for the eyes - full of lovely antiques and beautiful trinkets. We stayed in the Moroccan Room; it was well-appointed, comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Blooming Garden Inn and Holly House is a fantastic place to stay in Durham. It is truly like a home away from home. Frank & Dolly could not have been more kind, energetic and interesting. They make you feel at home from the moment you enter their beautiful Bed & Breakfast. There is a large wrap-around porch on the B&B where we sat and enjoyed wine, conversation and a view of their beautiful yard. Dolly has a flair for decorating and gardening. The place is beautiful. Really Old South charm and ambiance at this hotel. Each room is unique and the beds are out-of-this-world comfortable. Frank's breakfasts are legendary. And in addition, he will provide information about the area on where to go, suggestions on what to do and will even give you a tour of the area so you can get your bearings. As I understand it, they offer longer-term stays at a reduced rate in their home across the street from the B&B, a wonderful Victorian called the "Holly House" - also with a wrap around porch and privacy. There was a famous movie star who stayed here for a time while in the area filming a movie! The Blooming Garden Inn is a very unique and comfortable place to stay in Durham.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RetiredandLovingIt5
Reviewed February 24, 2013

What a wonderful treat it was for my husband and myself to find the Blooming Garden Inn. Dolly and Frank are exceptional hosts and go the extra mile to make sure you have everything you need and make you feel right at home. Breakfast was wonderful and we really enjoyed the time that Frank took with us to share the history of the home and all the beautiful antiques. We look forward to staying with Dolly and Frank again in the very near future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am a postdoc at Duke, and this is my first time in the US. I was looking for somewhere comfortable and affordable to stay while I 'got on my feet' in a new country. Holly House, which offers self-catering extended stay accommodation, turned out to be ideal for me, and I ended up staying for nearly four months, longer than I had at originally planned! Frank and Dolly are probably the most friendly and welcoming B&B hosts you will find, which I really appreciated as I was in an unfamiliar place. It was also nice to have the company of some of the other extended stay guests in Holly House (as well as the two house cats!), and the sense of community is something I would have missed out on elsewhere. The house itself is beautiful, and a lot of care has been taken with the furnishings. The Victorian style makes a pleasant place both to work and relax, with wireless internet provided. I would recommend Holly House to anyone who is needing affordable temporary accommodation and is looking for a 'home away from home', and the arrangement may be especially attractive to visiting scholars/students who are needing a base while in Durham.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We were guests for 3 days and two nights at Blooming Garden Inn, well located to Duke University. Dolly and Frank were our hosts. After a hardy welcome (with the finest teas, candies and cookies), we had the best night sleep ever. The art, antiques and grounds are a sight to behold, and we so enjoyed learning about them. We also relaxed with meals on the lovely wrap around porch. Dolly and Frank prepared us well for our four hour walking tour of Durham. Upon our return, Dolly surprised us with evening wine and cheese and crackers. Frank is the chef for the five star breakfast- tasty and nutritious. We so enjoyed our stay that we plan on giving friends a wedding gift of a stay in the upstairs suite.

Room Tip: Our downstairs room was perfect.