“We always return....”
Review of Arrowhead Inn

Arrowhead Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We've just spent another fabulous weekend getaway at Arrowhead Inn. We have stayed in many rooms, but prefer the Garden Cottage. A large jetted tub, a steam shower-both designed for two-provide comfort and relaxation beyond compare.Beautiful gas fireplace, easy to operate. The king mattress and soft linens are out of this world! Each morning, breakfast is brought to us in courses. I love not having to get dressed except for a robe. The innkeepers are thoughtful and attentive. Phil Teber is the chef- dinner is delicious, plentiful, and reasonably priced. The gardens are attractive year round. If you are travelling to Durham, this oasis is not far from downtown. We have escaped to Arrowhead for several years, and plan to continue. We enjoyed West Point on the Eno this trip, but have visited DPAC, ballpark, restaurants-everything the big city has to offer, while staying in a country inn.

Room Tip: The steam showers are wonderful- I believe Garden Cottage, Log Cabin and Lipscomb room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nowservingno4
Arrowhead_Inn, Guest Relations Manager at Arrowhead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2015

We are delighted to hear that you keep coming back to Arrowhead Inn! Thank you for this thoughtful review, we are so glad you enjoyed the Garden Cottage, it really is a unique experience! We hope you will be back for many years to come!

There are newer reviews for Arrowhead Inn

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We loved it here. The whirlpool tub is large enough for me and my husband and so relaxing.. We stayed in the Brighton and it has a king bed that was super comfy and a walk-in shower that was really nice. We took some really good pictures of us on the tire swing, in the gazebo, and around the gardens area, outside. The gas log fireplace in our room was great on the the cool nights and we liked being able to just flip a switch and it comes on. Im not really into fo-fo breakfasts, like Eggs Benedict..so my ony suggestion would be if you are like me and would rather just have traditional foods for breakfast, like scrambled eggs and pancakes, then let them know. I did like the fresh pomegranate in my fruit cup. If you can, ask for breakfast in your room. Otherwise, you will be out in the keeping room with the other guests. We had pumpkin bread that was great as our afternoon treat and fresh fruit, grapes. We really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: we wanted the whirlpool tub so we chose the Brighton. Has a very luxurious feel, with Asian accents
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review. We are so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your wishes for breakfast! We hope you will be back to stay with us next time you are in town!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I attended a seminar on owning and running a B&B this past weekend at, of course, a B&B. It was just a delightful experience. From the moment we arrived at the wonderfully landscaped inn to the easy checkout, we were treated as honored guests by the innkeepers Gloria and Phil. The inn was a plantation house from the early1800's that has been expanded in the past to provide more rooms, including a "great room" that was large enough to be suitable for hosting meetings up to 20. This place makes a great place for a small team "retreat", and was excellent for our day-long seminar. We stayed in the Mason room, part of the original house, and though the place was almost totally full, we felt like we were the only ones there! We could not here any noise from the other rooms, nor the outside highway. Almost all of the rooms are isolated from each other making for a real sense of privacy.
Our room was well-appointed and the gas fireplace kept the room plenty warm with the cold fall nights we experienced there. The rice bed was just heavenly for sleeping. But even better than the room was the just absolutely delicious food; we have not encountered a chef as good as Phil in I think all our B&B experiences. Gloria was a gracious hostess and had obviously trained the wait staff well. If you are looking for high contact with the inkeepers, this is the place for you! We only got to enjoy the outside yard a little because of the schedule but the patio and gazabo would make for relaxing venues in warmer weather. All in all, one of the best experiences we have had at a B&B, and a place we highly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Almost all the rooms afford excellent privacy because of the layout and the excellent construction...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Wow, thank you for the glowing review! We are thrilled to hear that every aspect of your stay was wonderful and that you felt welcome and comfortable. We are also thrilled that you enjoyed the cuisine. We hope you will be back to stay the next time you are in town.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I were fortunate enough to experience the Arrowhead Inn during a weekend getaway/business trip. Phil warmly greeted us upon our arrival with a tour of the property and an escort to our "cabin". The entire property (main house, gardens, cabin, etc) is lovely.

We were fortunate enough to stay in the cabin. Walking in it had the aroma of a wood burning fireplace - which I love having grown up in Colorado. It's cozy loft bedroom and upscale designer bath were fantastic. However, I spent most of my time just sitting on the front porch taking in all the wonderful sights of birds, squirrels and flowers.

Food? Well, Phil is one fantastic cook. Each morning he delivered our breakfasts to our cabin for us to enjoy. The meals were not only gastronomically out of this world, but almost too pretty to eat!! I don't know which breakfast was my favorite as they were all fantastic.

I've read some of the other reviews regarding location and noise. I can honestly say we heard nothing. No traffic. No trucks. Nothing. I suppose if you were sitting out on the lawn and were focused on hearing noise - you would - but honestly, this inn is so lovely that your senses are overwhelmed by too many other things to notice any noise.

If North Carolina weren't so far from home - we would make the Arrowhead Inn an annual treat for ourselves - if you are fortunate enough to be in the Durham area - spoil yourself and stay with Phil and Gloria. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your thoughtful recommendation. We are so happy to hear that you felt welcome and well taken care of during your stay. We hope you have the chance to stay with us again should you be in the area!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the cabin this past weekend and had an amazing time. The attention to detail by Gloria and Phil is impressive. As I planned the surprise get a way for my wife, I threw some curve balls at them and they came through to the very end.

We had a private in cabin dinner on Saturday night which was incredible. Breakfast was good, but not great. And the afternoon snack was very tasty, with homemade cheese/crackers and scones.

Overall, quite nice and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and for choosing to stay with us. The cabin truly is a special experience and we are glad you enjoyed it. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to accommodate the surprise for your wife. We hope you will be back to see us!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A truly wonderful inn! Thank you, Phil, for making our stay so memorable. Sorry to not have met Gloria, but she gets our vote of thanks and gratitude as well for the beautfully decorated and well appointed rooms and suites! Ours was the "Britain" and it was simply magnificent. Very spacious with all the wonderful and thoughtful amenities were provided.

Phil is a most gracious and engaging host, master chef and concierge! Breakfasts are hearty, gourmet and scrumptious. Restaurant recommendations were great. Our room was very quiet in the evening and the grounds are lushly manicured and serve as a beautiful, tranquil setting for which to relax and read a book or sip on a glass of wine. Speaking of which, we also enjoyed the afternoon "cocktail hour" whereupon Phil serves goodies and such, always attentive.

Lastly, this is a most convenient location as you have access to downtown Durham and easy access to Chapel Hill. Lots of restaurants and lots of places of interest.

We would hearitly recommend staying at this lovely inn but most of all, we truly enjoyed having the pleasure of knowing such a wonderful person as Phil.
Debra & Barry V.

Room Tip: The Britain suite is a very spacious, luxurious and well appointed room. It has a view of both the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was satisfactory and that you enjoyed the rooms, the décor and the food so much. We hope you will be back to stay with us next time you are in the area!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Phil and Gloria left no stone unturned. They were gracious and kind. My room was beautiful and immaculate. I loved all the details, i.e., soft classical music, a rose and chocolates at my bedside, and even the folding of the towels and toilet paper were in rose shaped arrangements. In addition, the food was outstanding. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

We are so grateful that you chose to stay with us. we are delighted to hear that your stay was so wonderful. Please come back anytime!