“Patio Brunch”

Ranked #154 of 774 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American, Ethiopian, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: American-style bistro in the Brightleaf Square district, serving weekend brunch, lunch, dinner and late night. We have the best patio in Durham!
Gloucester City, New Jersey
“Patio Brunch”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Took my daughter to Sunday brunch at Alivia's. She had eggs benedict and I French toast with strawberries and whipped cream. The food was average, good but nothing special. The best part was sitting out on the patio. Would go back but not make a special trip. The server did seem a little spacy. Never quite sure if we were understanding each other.

• Visited June 2014

Winston Salem
“Not worth the time or money”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start? I've been to Alivia's about five times and I don't know why I go back. The big draw for me is the outdoor patio on a very busy downtown corner. Other than that, there's no reason to go.

Today's lunch was, unfortunately, no exception. Once we were seated, we ordered a grill cheese w fruit for my daughter so we could occupy her while our food was being prepared. That grilled cheese took about 20 minutes when we asked them to rush it a bit. How long does a grilled cheese sandwich take to make? I'll bet you know the answer.

Once the sandwich and fruit came, we realized the fruit was not fresh. The pineapples were brown. Even my daughter didn't approve when she spit them out (she LOVES pineapple).

We ended up ordering our food to go because nap time tool over and we opted to avoid a total toddler meltdown. Once we actually ate the food, we weren't impressed. I'm dissapointed every time I go there. I really don't know why I keep giving them extra opportunities when there are so many other great options in Durham.

I can't recommend this place in all honesty. Normally the service is below average and the food is mediocre. Certainly not worth what they charge. Do yourself a favor and pass. Parker and Otis is a short walk away.

1 Thank Mark S
Durham, North Carolina
“Go for the chicken wings”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great outdoor dining but not a lot of shade in late Spring/Early Summer. There some tables that are over sewer covers and you often get whiffs of a garbage smell. The wings were great and a few happy hour beers with a salad especially if there is a breeze is perfect. Best time to go really is in the fall early winter when they have the gas fire pits outside and the sunlight is different.
The ahi tuna has been different all 3 times I've ordered it. It went from great to mediocre. I say stick with appetizers.

• Visited May 2014
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Always good food and great atmosphere”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This is my third time here, we are locals, and I would highly recommend if you are looking for a good place to eat in downtown Durham. They have patio seating, bar seating, or the dining room also has open doors that bring in a good breeze. Service is very good and the food is bistro style and always very good.
We actually had a small issue this time, and I was so impressed with how the server, manager and team member who had the issue recovered. We are all humans, I have been in the restaurant industry for 25 years and sometimes it is about how the place recovers and for this.....I give them 5 stars.
I can't wait to go back :)

• Visited May 2014
Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
“Worst ever received! Spend money elsewhere!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have never been treated so rudely by a Server. You could tell this guy really didn't like his job and didn't want to be there. After asking a couple of questions on the beer selection and menu his one word monotone responses weren't very informative. I've been in the service industry and know people have bad days but this guy was ridiculous. After at least 10 mins we finally got our first round this after waiting 10 mins to be greeted. We were ready to order but as he hurriedly dropped the drinks he said he would be back in a minute to take our order. His minute and my minute must differ because whatever universe this guy was telling time by 15 earth minutes passed before we placed our lunch order. Of course by then our pints were bone dry and had been for at least 5 min. (10min late 2nd round arrives). I also want to point out there was maybe 15 people in the entire restaurant including the 3 staff I saw in the front of the house. The food was good but the service was so bad that I cannot give more than 1 star! I wish I could give a negative star to accurately describe the experience.

• Visited April 2014