“Gone downhill since my previous stays....”

Durham Skyland Magnuson Hotel
Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Gone downhill since my previous stays....”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed here in the past a few times. The first time I was surprised that a small motel like this was maintained so well and the staff was very friendly. I admit it has been a few years since my last stay, and the first since it seems it was bought out by the parent company Magnuson.

When I got to my room the first thing I noticed is that it wasn't as clean or well kept as I remember. Also the was some perfume or odor that you cannot ignore when you open the door. I left the door open trying to get the smell out, but after a while had to just deal with it. By the time I went to bed my eyes were red and burning.

After I pulled back the bedspread, I noticed the sheets were all wrinkled, like they had been slept in before or left too long in the dryer and cooled. They didn't fit the mattress either, nor matched the color of the cover sheet. And that was it, for covers you got the bedspread and the cover sheet, no other blankets on the bed in the room. It made for a chilly night of rough sleep. A few times I had to get up and put the fitted sheet back around the mattress.

In the morning, I went to the breakfast area and was surprised to find no one else there, and the lights in the breakfast area weren't all on. I had to look and the time on the clock on the wall to make sure I hadn't arrived too early before it started. But it was 7:45am and not a soul around. I went into see what was offered and all I saw were some mini-muffins and a few honey buns, that was it. I see now why nobody had stayed for breakfast, there wasn't really one offered. On top of no food, there was some funk smell, not the heavy perfume in my room, but that of an odd unpleasant sort that would have ruined breakfast anyway.

I know this motel is cheap, but for the price you can do better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank IT G

Maspalomas, Spain
Reviewed April 26, 2013

It is very clean, spotless I would say, this is probably the first thing I look at when deciding if I want to stay in a hotel room, and trust me, the owner of this place really did an outstanding job. The rooms are also nicely decorated, basically as nicely as you would have your own bedroom, with nice soft, clean linen, and a very "expensive looking" bedspread, not to mention that the price is REALLY right, especially if you have a coupon from the local visitor information center!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NiKkOsAn
LEXINGTON
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've been staying here for many many years. I like that its really quiet and the surroundings are peaceful. In the past couple of stays though it seems to be heading toward failure. I think we were the only ones staying in the hotel one of the nights we were there.

The facility is older but the rooms are clean. The beds are pretty comfortable. Everything shows signs of wear. When we were there the wifi wasnt working and that was bad for me as I had work I needed to do. The heater/air conditioner was very loud.

When I went to check out the lobby was locked up tight and there was supposed to be breakfast.

The price is very reasonable but I dont know if I will be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This motel was excellent ! The owners were exceptional . Convience was great. Close to everything. Duke, chapel hill, Raleigh ,meban and hillsborough were all so easy to access from all the major hays.& interstates. Rooms were clean. Location was very quaint & quiet. The pool was great too. It closed shortly after we arrived for the winter. All in all this place is quaint, quiet and pleasant for every family. I will be visiting this motel again the next time I return to Durham, ,North Carolina. Oh, it came equipped with microwave and a refrigerator , which made it more cost effective to stay because we didn't have to go it every night to eat, some microwave meals. Aren't to bad.. Lol.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Not what I expected, but it suited us for a 2 night stay when visiting Duke. Less than 10 minutes to Duke. The staff looked after us well, especially my wife who drinks decaff coffee, she got a fresh pot to herself each morning.

Ignore the directions when you use a GPS or online maps, there is direct access to the interstate without having to take crazy U turns.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
WV
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel at least five times over the past few years. Everything has been very satisfactory until our last stay. When we first went in I noticed a lot of crumbs under the table-no big deal housekeeping could have been rushed. Had to meet family, came back in time to watch Duke in play-offs. Pulled out chair from table-appears to be milk dryed on both arms, seat and back-getting aggravated. Wife takes shower-new type valves not working right-hot water hard to control. Get ready to get in bed. Notice what appears to be dried blood on comfortter-throw it in floor. get in bed wife says something under sheet. Pull back sheet and find blood patch on mattress and what the wife felt. Looks like something puton or thrown up on mattress and covered with sheet. Call lobby to get new room-no answer. Was told someone would be there till midnight-it's twenty till and lobby is locked up-noone in. Pack up and go to another hotel. Still waiting to see if I get money back or future credit. Cannot recommend to anyone at this time. Sad- it was such a nice place.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ziggywv
Atlanta
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Easy on-off from I-40. Park-like setting. Just a short ride from great eating. Intimately close to Duke University and its lovely walking forest. This is a family owned motel, and the family went out of their way to make our stop restful and satisfying. Call them direct and talk to them about your needs. Ours were unusual and involved vehicle security; they took the worry out of our stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Hilton Durham near Duke University
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Hillsborough
Extended Stay America - Durham - University - Ivy Creek Blvd.
Holiday Inn Express Durham
Quality Inn & Suites Medical Park

Been to Durham Skyland Magnuson Hotel? Share your experiences!