“Great Place for a Long Stay”

Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was staying in the Durham area on business for the whole month of June and was less than excited about staying in a hotel for that length of stay. My concerns were not well founded. The Staybridge was a wonderful place to spend 4 long weeks.

Pros:

- My room was clean, had a great layout, a regular size fridge and just about everything you need day to day in a kitchen.
- Bed was comfortable
- The pool was clean, cool and had lots of great lounging chairs set out around it
- The staff - everyone I encountered was friendly, outgoing and more than wiling to provide recommendations for restaurants, sights and sounds. They remembered who I was, where I was staying and were always up for friendly conversation. I can't say enough about how pleasant all the staff is here.
- Breakfast is great: fresh fruit, bagels, toast, eggs, bacon or sausage. Oatmeal, cereal and yogurt and a fresh waffle maker. Everything I would have at breakfast at home. It is well stocked and if there is something missing that you are looking for the staff is always ready to refill or provide you with that item
- I had no problems with the air conditioning, internet or cable - even during some pretty severe storms
- Socials - every Tues, Wed and Thurs night dinner is provided, often along with beer and wine! Nothing better than that. I didn't get a chance to eat the dinners but always enjoyed a glass a wine on them.
- Good cost for what you get
- Laundry facilities are great. Four washers, Four dryers. You bring your own detergent and bounce sheets but otherwise free to use which is so wonderful for those staying for a long period of time..
- It is close to everything. Universities, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Southpoint Mall, the I-40 and 15/501 Highways. Easy to get to downtown Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill
- I received fresh towels daily, along with "light" maid service - which really only including making the bed and "full service" once a week to change your sheets. You can request to have your sheets changed more often if you prefer it
- "The Pantry" - a cute little convenience type store at the front desk. perfect for a late night treat, laundry detergent or some beer or wine if you need. Nice to have that handy
- Storage lockers are available. I flew home for a weekend and didn't want to lug my huge suitcase across the border and back. I was provided with a storage closet on my floor that was perfect - I was given a key and was allowed to use it until the end of my reservation.

Cons:
- Although I was there on business I did not have to do business at the hotel, but the "business" area is really only one or two computers that often have kids on them. Didn't bother me but may be a concern if you need to do business and don't have a laptop or need printing/scanning/ that sort of stuff.

Neutrals:
- The workout facility is so-so. Not too much too it but a treadmill, elliptical and a few machines if you are doing a quick workout. Did the trick for a couple of nights when I couldn't bother to head to the gym (there are lots of options nearby if you are looking for a month/longer membership)
- I didn't like my pillows. There were lots (4 on my King) but I will bring my own next time (purely a preference thing)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ashley D
StaybridgeDurham, Guest Relations at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

So glad to hear we were able to make your month long stay pleasant Ashley D! Since our property is an extended stay hotel our rooms need to be able to accomodate guests in town for long periods of time like yourself. Breakfast and dinner are staples and we are glad to hear you enjoyed both! The beer and wine served during our social hour adds a nice touch that a lot of travelers enjoy. Due to the fact we are located close to both UNC and Duke hospital we do encounter children time to time that play on our computer in the business center. Staff at the front desk can help with faxing and they have no problem putting a time limit on computer use so all guests can have a chance. Scanning and printing capabilites are avaliable in the business ceneter as well. Hope to see you in the near future!

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is well-located, clean, and economical. It is closes to a grocery store, Kroger's, and several other convenient stores and restaurants.

However it is ill-suited for business travelers. It is beset by slow and sporadic internet provider outages, lacks fax, scanning, and copy capabilities - and even the most basic of office supplies. The so-called office "center" is poorly lit and is often besieged by kids playing games or scribbling on the monitors.. No one besides patrons stock the printer with paper or does maintenance of the printer. Staff are nice enough, but not really dedicated to the needs of business persons. Advice: Bring or locally purchase all supplies you think that you might need. Manager is hardly ever on duty or visible. Housekeepers are great!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
StaybridgeDurham, Manager at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay with us. While we are pleased that you found our location ideal, we regret to hear of your dissatisfaction with our business services at the hotel. Unfortunately we do not offer fax services in our business center area, however our front desk associates would be happy to send or receive faxes from our front desk area at no charge. To ensure future business travelers don't have lack of business services, we will use the information you provided to improve our business center area.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was an excellent place to stay. Conveniently located in a great area with many places to eat and shop. Th proximity to both Duke and the University of North Carolina was very good just a few miles from each and kind of in the middle. The rooms were clean and spacious and staff was courteous and helpful. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: June 2013

We are delighted that our location between UNC Chapel Hill and Duke worked well for your visit. Please keep us in mind the next time you visit...we would love to have you stay again! Thank you for feedback on our hotel and location. It is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We reserved three suites four our family to attend a wedding. My wife and I got their first and were given a room that smelled like a public bathroom. The front desk apologized and moved us to another suite that was fresh, clean and bright. The suites for our two children's families were also clean. We found the design of the suites comfortable and functional. The front desk clerk Michelle was friendly and helpful but a younger colleague was ignorant of nearby stores and restaurants and less interested in being helpful.

The free breakfast service was good for this type of hotel and well stocked. The lobby was a pleasant place to get together.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback! We are pleased that you had a good experience during your stay despite the rough start with you first assigned suite. We will share your experience with all of our team to celebrate the positives and as a training tool for the areas of improvement. Keep us in mind for future stays in the Durham/Chapel Hill area!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites in May, 2013 for 8 nights. The hotel us about 5 miles from UNC Hospitals, and 5 miles from Duke University Hospital. The hotel is also close to Walmart, Kohls, Applebees, Outback, Kanki, and Home Depot. There is also a Kroger nearby. The hotel is about 7 years old, and is in very good condition. I stayed in a one bedroom suite, which had a full kitchen, living area, separate bedroom, and bathroom. The hotel offers a free hot breakfast with coffee, juices, soft drinks, cereals, oatmeal, eggs, bacon or sausage, fruit, yogurt, breads, boiled eggs, etc. They also have a social Tuesday through Thursday nights with free food, soft drinks, iced tea, beer, and wine. There is a nice outdoor pool (not heated), a gym with cardio and nautilus equipment, and a laundry room with free washer and dryers (bring detergent, dryer sheets, etc). If you are visiting someone at an area hospital, there is a medical rate of $91.00 per night. If you contact the Ronald McDonald House near UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, they can help you with an even better rate. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and this one ranks in the top 10.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel, away from I-40 traffic.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
StaybridgeDurham, Manager at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback! It's always great to hear how travelers feel about our hotel as well as our location to restaurants, shopping, and medical centers. Because we are so close to both UNC Hospitals and Duke Medical Center, we offer discounted medical rates based on length of stay to families and patients visiting either medical center. Although those rates may fluctuate, they are still a wonderful value for qualified medical travelers! We hope to host your stay again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have already reviewed this Staybridge long ago, but I wanted to write another review since unlike other places I have stayed, this hotel has maintained it quality of service and care. We visit the area 4-5 times a year to visit our son and we are always pleased. We seek out Staybridge brand, and this one is a top notch one.
Some room locations are better than others, however, the cleanliness and staff help is always excellent. Last time we stayed in the front area on the 2nd floor which was nice. Someone had a small dog next to us and we were afraid we would here him/her but we did not. All was quiet.
The front staff is excellent. I wish I remember the lady's name that helped us. She was excellent. What happened was we left a valuable painting in our room and left it in the room after checking out. She called us on the road to tell us about it and we arranged for our son to pick it up. That was so nice for them to call and locate us. Since, if we had discovered it first we would have been totally upset. Thank you everyone at Staybridge for going out of your way for us on our last visit to your hotel.
See you again next month...and many times after that also,
Pros
~Staff
~location
~beds
~cleanliness

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the wonderful feedback! We strive to ensure new guests and returning guests have the same friendly service and comfortable stay! We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Traveled to the Durham area for business in April and our local customer requires that our hotel costs stay within a certain range. Only three “suite” style hotels met their range in the general area. My expectations were not high to be honest because I normally stay at Marriott or Hilton properties and I incorrectly did not feel the Staybridge Brand would be comparable.

Front desk staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, rooms are large, clean and in top condition. I have subsequently stayed at the same location again, and am booked for the week of May 20th. Will continue to use this hotel for all future business trips to the Durham area.

Again, pleasant surprise, worth checking into.

Room Tip: Sound travels between the units, I have notices faint TV noises late in the evening. Nothing worse...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We are delighted to hear that your first time stay with our Staybridge brand was such a pleasant experience! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we look forward to seeing you very soon! As always, if you need any assistance on your future visits, please don't hesitate to let us know!