“A hidden gem!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I were craving Mexican, but weren't in the mood for the usual chain fare that we find so often. Thanks to TripAdvisor, we found this place. They open for lunch at 11:30 and the place was empty except for 3 other diners. The staff is very kind and helpful, the decor is clean and simple, the menu is brief but thoughtful. The tacos were wonderful and, although the portions aren't big, I was satisfied at the end (could have something to do with the chips & salsa). If you enjoy Mexican food, but not the grease, I highly recommend it. We walked out with a $25 tab for a lunch for two. Great job guys!!

1  Thank kerrye27

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our second time here and it was as excellent an experience as the first. First, you'll enjoy the warm and relaxed setting--more a neighborhood feel than big city. A very welcoming environment, you'll feel like staff is part of your family. The food is fantastic. I had cedar-plank salmon with the creamiest rice I've ever eaten alongside perfectly prepared asparagus spears. My dinner companion enjoyed the delicious carnitas and we both had two glasses of sangria because one simply wasn't enough. The ingredients of our meals were so fresh and with such an authentic touch, I feel I haven't eaten real mexican food until I ate here. Enjoy!

1  Thank Lilsmos
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I ate here with my family last night based on the TA reviews. It was as good and creative as reviewers mentioned! The menu changes frequently based on availability of ingredients. Homemade tortilla chips and salsa are free.

My husband and I shared the fried grouper tacos (3) and the empañadas oaxaqueñas (3) and that was enough food for us. While they do not have a kids menu, they will work with you to make something that your kids will eat. Our kids both had cheese quesadillas which they declared were amazing and we had to order more. The tortillas were nicely crisped and the cheese stayed soft (not that they sat on the plate for long).

My son ordered a virgin frutas tropicanas (orange, pineapple, lime juices) drink. It was tasty but did come with salt on the rim so he drank it through a straw.

This will definitely become one of our regular stops now! We look forward to exploring more of their menu offerings.

1  Thank chai2girl
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Found this restaurant via TA and after reading the reviews was excited to check it out. Dined here for brunch and was amazed at the authenticity and freshness of the dishes! The service was warm and friendly! The BEST Mexican food in the Raleigh/Durham and surrounding areas!!!!! Would definitely dine here again and recommend to friends & family!!!!

3  Thank Alexiaann
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I went to Tonali recently for the first time, and we were blown away. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time -- real, authentic, home cooked Mexican food. It was amazing! The staff were incredibly warm and friendly, and you could tell the restaurant is a labor of love. We were there on a weekend, and the service was a bit slow, but it was definitely worth the wait. We'll be going back again soon!

1  Thank Jenny_P_NC