“Excellent Restaurant!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2018

I was visiting relatives in Durham and they took me to the Pit for dinner one night. I had the southern fried chicken that came with two sides (I picked apple sauce and mashed potatoes). Hush puppies and biscuits were brought to the table before the meals, and more hush puppies were brought while we ate our dinners. The food was excellent and the service was great! I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

Heard this place was excellent and they did not disappoint! The smoked meatloaf and brisket were both excellent, as well as the Brunswick stew as a side. Beans were the only thing lacking in this place, they needed *something. Also good feedback from the family on the pulled pork (ask for a bun, no sandwich on the menu) and the bbq nachos. Good selection of local beers as well.

Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

I could not wait to try some carolina barbecue and this place was in walking distance from my airbnb . You get a basket with biscuits and hush puppies, omg those hushpuppies are soooooo good!!! I had sweetwater brewery beer also really yummy. I asked the waitress what i should get so i got carolina ribs, pulled pork, mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. The whole thing was soooo yummy! I couldn’t finish it all in one sitting the mac and cheese was amazing!

1  Thank courtneyf522
Reviewed August 2, 2018

LOVED IT!! We have a local BBQ in north Georgia that is our gold standard. The Pit lived up to it. I do not eat port, so brisket is always my choice. It had a wonderful char on the outside with a juiciness on the inside that was divine. We ordered fried green tomatoes as an appetizer which were delicious, however the lunch portions are so large, we were challenged to finish our meal. The clientele and wait staff was extremely diversified, which was great to see. Everyone loves good BBQ! The FREE valet parking was a super plus for someone unfamiliar with the area.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 31, 2018

Based upon the barbecue and fried chicken alone, we would have given The Pit a five-star rating. However, the hush puppies and biscuits were not up to the standard with which we are accustomed, and the Brunswick Stew was a big disappointment! The different styles of barbecue were delicious - tender, moist, and flavorful, and having the three different bbq sauces readily available made it even better. We liked each of the three different styles of sauce. We've been to more than 80 different barbecue restaurants, mostly in NC, and we would rate The Pit as one of the best in the Durham area.

Our server, Sarah, did an outstanding job, and she added to our overall dining experience. Be aware, this is not a mom-and-pop casual barbecue joint; it is a more upscale establishment with higher prices.

We will definitely return, but we just will not order Brunswick Stew.

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to The Pit? Share your experiences!