“Neighborhood Favorite”

Mattie B's Public House
Ranked #148 of 782 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We live just down the street from Mattie B's and it is one of our new favorites. We are beer nerds, so we love the ever changing selection of drafts and beer nights. The food is pretty good, too. We love the Granny's Love pizza with Granny Smith apples. Also, we enjoy the chips with a variety of toppings and the fresh salads. My go-to is the make your own sandwich. I do wish they would offer food specials and change up the menu a little bit, but we still enjoy it.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I am going to weigh in on the side of those who have written negative reviews. I had reason to believe this place was worth going to. Considering there are SO MANY good places to eat in Durham, we wasted a Sat. night there. The place has no atmosphere at all, service was slow if at all. No one checked to see how we were doing, offer water, take out container, etc. Food was so-so. My husband liked the lamb sandwich but left his potato chips. I had chicken fingers as a last resort and I needed ranch dip to give them any flavor. Waited 10 minutes for someone to slow down as they walked by our table so I could ask for ranch dip. So, "been there, done that". Won't go back.

1  Thank Lybi
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We found this place to watch World Cup soccer (and ideally we needed to watch two games simultaneously)--no problem as every TV in the place had the World Cup on. We came by the day before to watch the USA game but the place was packed, standing room only inside and out and that's when I learned about the Outlaws, who apparently are soccer aficionados. So we went home to watch that game. But we came the next day to watch Mexico on one screen and Brazil on the other. They understood that we would be there for the entire game and there was no hurry. Very friendly folks for sure and they made us feel very comfortable. Now what to eat....their specialty (in addition to what appears to be every type of beer on planet earth) is chips---giant, huge, scrumptious plates of chips. You wanted to try them all from the chip selection. But with my "Dirty Bird" chicken sandwich which was absolutely delicious I had the Southern Bell chips (sweet potato chips, marshmallows, pecans, brown-sugar/cinnamon & Guava Cayenne--whatever that is) was just such a treat. They were yummy. We later shared "The Salty Pucker" which were more traditional potato chips in an apple cider vinegar, with sea salt & scallions and served with Honey Dijon. Oh yes, very tasty too. It's an interesting place, with artist drawn graffiti, friendly atmosphere, good food and they love soccer!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I gave this a rating of 4 because of the beer selection and the free wifi.

I found the food to be really overpriced for what it was. The chip combos seem better/look better in pictures than they are. We had the prairie fire, and it was overly doused in hot sauce, which took away from the overall flavor, and could have a just been done better. We also had the Lamby Joe, which was flavorful, and I imagine that there are other good menu items that I'll try when I come back for more beer and cider.

The beer special on Monday was $1 bottles, which meant that you could get some really good craft beer for only $3 in some cases. I would definitely love to systematically try everything on their beer and cider list.

The atmosphere was not what I expected, even looking at pictures on Yelp, in a good way though. The space is smaller than I imagined, which I like, and the layout is much more open, so you can watch sports on any number of flat screens around the room. You go up to the counter to order food, but when they're slow, the servers come to the table, and all of the staff were super friendly.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Their food is incredible. I have loved everything I have ordered off the menu. It is difficult to decide because I love it all!

The have tons of beer options. Almost a big overwhelming, but unique and fun. The outdoor seating is great with cornhole and picnic table seating.

I wish they could become a good nightlife spot as well because the location is perfect and they have a lot to offer. So... let's all agree to go to Mattie B's and make it a latenight place!