“Beautiful! Get outside! ”

Sarah P. Duke Gardens
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Durham
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

We visited Duke Gardens during an April morning. Admission was free and parking was a couple bucks. My wife enjoyed the beautiful landscaping and flowers and my toddler absolutely loved feeding the ducks. It might have been the highlight of his trip. Go at your own pace, you could spend an hour to an entire day in the gardens. Put the handheld electronics down and get outside for some fresh air and flowers!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I had the chance to explore these gardens for 2 hours after a conference at Duke and was impressed by the volunteers who help you prepare your visit and the obvious care the staff puts into the gardens as well as the variety they offer.

On a 93 degree day in Durham yesterday the shade provided and multiple streams made the wandering the different paths a comfortable and memorable experience.

They do a great job of not just labeling the plants but also sharing their origins and importance to wildlife and ultimately our planet. I can't imagine being able to spend 4 years on campus and having this oasis in the midst of it!

1  Thank Globewalker73
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Raleigh chapter of my national walking club has a 10km trail which includes part of the gardens. I was there on Friday (May 2), and the weather was nice in the morning when I walked (60 degrees). I did get a littte lost because I took my eyes off the trail directions, but I didn't mind. Lovely indeed!

1  Thank stingerd43
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The tulips were in full bloom. The garden was spectacular. While, it was very crowded with people, it still seemed peaceful and serene. Highly recommend.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

A lovely place to get lost on a warm afternoon. The grounds are beautiful and parking was very inexpensive.