“Great Lunch”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Lunch for 7. There were several tables that comfortably sat 9 to 10 people. lunch servings were generous. Desserts were great the favorite was the coconut macaroon. We brought some small children with us who were enamored by the name of the place

Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was positively our last visit to Mad Hatter's. After paying $24.00 for an average breakfast for two adults (tip not included) and being served cold, overcooked eggs and nearly raw bacon we have counted this as a loss. With counter service, coffee service and utensil and condiment retrieval located in one small area, the flow becomes congested and chaotic. This has been a convenient restaurant for breakfast after church but the food and service has steadily gone downhill from our first visit a few years ago.

For a breakfast that you hope to enjoy, kinder service and an overall better experience, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Everytime I come here I swear all of the workers always look at me weird and act like they can't help me or Ignore me or act like there are so busy when they are not. I don't understand why they're so rude to their customers

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Our daughter took us there for a lunch. She has spent time there studying as it was across the street from the East Duke Campus. The bake goods looked amazing, but unfortunately after the delicious meal there was no room. I had a special of the day, Shrimp and grits. The grits were creamy and had some cheese in them. The shrimp were well cooked, not overly done, and covered with a somewhat sweet house sauce that was made with onion, and tomatoes. My wife had a very good French Toast served with Strawberries and Bananas, which I had to try out.
The service is a bit awkward, you order at the counter and is given a number for you table. The problem came when she ordered orange juice and didn't know to wait at the counter. She returned to the table confused as to where the juice was. About 5 minutes later we heard our table number called and her juice was ready at the counter. The food came in a reasonable time period and the staff was friendly and responded to our request for extra napkins quickly.
For those needing it there were power strips along the wall behind the booths and of course free wireless connection.
The restaurant obviously caters to the students, the parking lot is not very large and is shared with a number of other businesses. That said we did manage to find a spot on the first try.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

A panera type restaurant right next to Duke's freshman campus. Feels like a Panera but with a local vibe and I felt fresher food. The perfect college town kind of place. Good coffee, nice environment and reasonable food prices. If I were a college kid again I would spend a lot of time and money here. The cookies were great.