“A very different experience.”

The Mad Hatter's Bake Shop
Ranked #2 of 11 Bakeries in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Our daughter took us there for a lunch. She has spent time there studying as it was across the street from the East Duke Campus. The bake goods looked amazing, but unfortunately after the delicious meal there was no room. I had a special of the day, Shrimp and grits. The grits were creamy and had some cheese in them. The shrimp were well cooked, not overly done, and covered with a somewhat sweet house sauce that was made with onion, and tomatoes. My wife had a very good French Toast served with Strawberries and Bananas, which I had to try out.
The service is a bit awkward, you order at the counter and is given a number for you table. The problem came when she ordered orange juice and didn't know to wait at the counter. She returned to the table confused as to where the juice was. About 5 minutes later we heard our table number called and her juice was ready at the counter. The food came in a reasonable time period and the staff was friendly and responded to our request for extra napkins quickly.
For those needing it there were power strips along the wall behind the booths and of course free wireless connection.
The restaurant obviously caters to the students, the parking lot is not very large and is shared with a number of other businesses. That said we did manage to find a spot on the first try.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

A panera type restaurant right next to Duke's freshman campus. Feels like a Panera but with a local vibe and I felt fresher food. The perfect college town kind of place. Good coffee, nice environment and reasonable food prices. If I were a college kid again I would spend a lot of time and money here. The cookies were great.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was a great restaurant to eat at, the food was fresh and delicious. The dining room looked crowded, but we were able to get a table quickly. They had many options, salads, wraps, breakfast foods, and even had a pretty decent children's menu. I ordered our little one a hot dog, and her plate had more fruit on it than mine did! The fruit was so fresh I could have had a whole bowl of it; it was delicious. All of the plates that came out to other tables looked wonderful! You also were not rushed out of the restaurant as soon as your plate was cleared; that was a huge plus. Would definitely recommend and visit again!!

Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you are just looking for a sandwich this is a great place to go. It fills up fast though so getting there early or during an off hour is best. The sandwiches are always fresh as are the wraps. I've never tried their salads but they look good. Even if you aren't ready to eat, if you are in the area stop in and pick up some cookies, cakes, or pastries for later. All I've tried have been very very good.

1  Thank cheryl h
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Great little cafe with original menu items. The restaurant is located just off the Duke University campus and was a very popular spot with students and faculty. Bonus is the free/fast wifi!