“Twice in one day. Thrice in one week.”
Review of Bleu Olive

Bleu Olive
Ranked #26 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Transit: Yes
Description: A Mediterranean Bistro owned & operated by the Papanikas Family since 1994!
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My visit was a couple of months ago, but I'm heading back to the Chapel Hill/Durham area this week and this is one of the spots I'm looking forward to returning to. Hopefully for brunch this time.

The overall atmosphere of this restaurant is what I look for in my travels or even at home. It has an open feel with a little bar tucked into the side when you walk in. In the actual dining room, you can see the kitchen and the expo line. It's got a comfortable but chic look to it. Even with the openness of it all, it doesn't get too loud.

I went the first time for lunch and sat at the bar. I had the Avgolemono and Applewood B.L.T. Amazing. The bartender also mixed me up a drink he hadn't put on the menu yet. Well I hope they added it after I left because it was amazing. I remember fresh muddled berries and a ginger beer added to give the drink a kick at the end. I would've figured it to be a vodka drink, but it was actually tequila. I had not idea there was tequila in it until the bartender told me, and that's how I like it.

They close from 3pm-5pm during the day. I went off to do some work at my hotel for a few hours and decided to return around 5-ish for a glass of wine. I trusted the bartender once again and he served me a wonderful glass of cabernet. I sat at the bar with a glass of wine and my kindle to relax for a bit. A lovely couple sat next to me. Yes. Lovely. They ordered the special of the night.. a sturgeon I believe. It looked amazing, and it was. I would know because the husband offered me some, and when I politely declined, he politely refused my declination and asked the bartender for an extra plate and gave me some of his dinner. They were obviously regulars because when the bartender heard it was the wife's birthday they brought her the Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache Torte. This time I wasn't even given a chance to decline as a chunk of it was taken off her plate and placed in front of me. Like I said.. a lovely couple. I thank them both since both plates were wonderful. The restaurant started to get busy, however, so I decided to head out to give them another seat at the bar since it seemed to be a full house that night.

Two nights later the Duke-UNC game was on, and I decided to head out to watch it. However, I didn't want to get too lost in the crowd of college students, so I went back to Bleu Olive to possibly grab another glass and catch the game. The bartender insisted I try the white chocolate creme brûlée when he found out creme brûlée was my favorite. And I'm so glad he did.

I wouldn't mind being able to take a date or a friend back to The Bleu Olive. However, if I only have my own company while I'm in the Triangle, TBO is welcoming enough that I would return by myself every time.

4  Thank RiverDejaneiro

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Wait staff was great, food was also spot on! For a mid week business dinner I was not disappointed at all. My only regret is that I didn't eat more! I will definitely keep this restaurant on my list of places to frequent, especially when in the area. Good TripAdvisor tip on this one!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We arrived at 10:30 and they were just sitting up the buffet. Our server was very nice and easy to work with. We first enjoyed the cold buffet - salads, smoked salmon, mussels, olives and more - everything was really delicious. Then we tried to hot items - I had bacon, french toast, eggs, cooked vegetables, and sliced roasted beef. Our server offered us coffee many times and cleared our plates at the right times. We sampled a coupled of the desserts - the coffee cake was very moist. Quite a treat!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I remember patronizing Angelica and Papa at Papa's Grill many years ago so I expected nothing less than the best when my friend and I ate at Bleu Olive. We were not disappointed and were expecially excited that Angelica remembered us!! We began with a red pepper seafood bisque then ordered the Chicken Salad Croissant and the Blackened Salmon Wrap, and swapped one of each. Both sandwiches were fresh and so delicious!!

The dessert menu looked heavenly but since we couldn't order everything we decided on the Goat Cheese and Honey Cheesecake made with local goat cheese, pistachio crust, and crème chantilly.

I am so glad this strip mall was renovated and revived. And I'm even happier that Angelica stayed around! This is definitely a great place to eat!

1  Thank LadyDJNorthCarolina
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were in town at Duke Hospital and we stayed very close to this restaurant. We were very happy with our service and meal. Friendly staff and great menu selections. We would recommend to locals and out of towners in Durham.