“Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bleu Olive

Bleu Olive
Reserve with OpenTable
Bleu Olive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 763 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Transit: Yes
Description: A Mediterranean Bistro owned & operated by the Papanikas Family since 1994!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I had a nice dinner here with a colleague I was traveling with. The atmosphere in the restaurant was relaxed. Our dinner was good. Service excellent. Thus place is across the parking from a Courtyard Marriott where we stayed so very convenient.

• Visited September 2013

New York City, New York
“Convenient from hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We went there the first night in Durham - the weather was nice so we sat outside. The food was very good, but the service was unbelievably poor. Long stretches of time would go by waiting for food, our bill and change and the waiter was nowhere in sight. And when he did come there was always an excuse blaming someone else in the restaurant. Next time I'll try eating inside.

Visited August 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“New blood in old favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

The change over from Pappas Grille to Bleu Olive was a success. The New interior plus the exterior has made this restaurant real inviting without being too overdone. The service was very pleasant, knowledgeable and suggestive. The dishes are very creative with different cuisines being infused together along with some old favorites. The tapas menu gives you a lot of variety and the entrees also are very fresh, colorful and tasty. The prices are very reasonable for what u get. I liked the crab cake for starters and I know the other 3 guests at the table enjoyed what they got. Don't forget about dessert! Cheers.

• Visited August 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
“2 visits to Bleu Olive, Durham, Aug-Sep 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Initial visit:
After a less than spectacular dinner experience at nearby Pomodoro, I walked across the small road to check out Bleu Olive. The reviews were very good, so why not. Being late on a Tuesday evening, there were still a few diners there. There are a few tables in the outdoor seating area, which were occupied and a small party was in the main dining room. Beyond the bar was another dining area, which was hosting a “ladies night out” birthday party.

This is a very nice-looking place with an attractive décor. I’d come mostly just to see the establishment and to verify that I’d made the wrong decision for dinner, and to have one last Martini before going to bed. I was the only one at the bar. The bartender was also assisting with serving that birthday party.

The bar is small with only about 8 stools. They offered several local and national-brand beers on tap and the selection of spirits were mostly the better quality brands. I ordered my Vodka Martini and was offered various ways to dress it. I chose the classic version with olives, as opposed to a twist. At least the customer gets to choose. I did not notice what brand of vodka was used, but it was far better than the ‘daily special House Martini’ at Pomodoro. Upon paying, I offered $20.00, and got back $9.30, after taxes.

On my return trip from GA to VA, I may just go back through Durham, just to have brunch (open 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM only on Sundays), even though this route will be longer than taking I-20 to I-95.

Return for Brunch:
We did make it back to Bleu Olive on Sunday, 01 Sep. In the daylight, the place looks even better and it was busy at 1230.

I ordered there Lamb Burger with Greek Salad. The burger was great and the salad was good, as well. I’m not a fan of beets and this salad had more than I’d prefer. My wife ordered the Turkey Wrap and she loved it.

The only negative on this visit was the inattentive waiter, who seemed to have time to shoot the breeze with someone around corner while my wife’s once hot fried potatoes sat and cooled. No one likes cold potatoes. Fortunately the wrap filled her to the point she couldn’t finish the potatoes.

I’d like to return to Bleu Olive to try dinner, as a larger selection of menu items is offered.

• Visited September 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Great Greek food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a very good place for food a touch above casual. There were people in shorts and Hawaiian shirts, but there were also couples out for a fancier dinner date. Food was way above average with lots of typical Greek choices + other interesting items. The cocktail menu was voluminous and had choices with some fancier ingredients such as blood orange and limoncello. I felt the place was a little noisy since we were seated by the kitchen. It was packed on a Saturday night and we asked to move away from the kitchen and they could not accommodate since it was so busy. A good problem to have! The service was pretty good, but we did wait a bit before our waitress showed up a the outset. After that, she was a gem. This restaurant is in a strip mall near I 85 and US 15-501. There are a few hotels nearby and I think it sees a lot of travelers. The atmosphere is nice, but not super elegant. The food was the top billing here, which makes sense! The outdoor dining faces the parking lot and is not very scenic, but many people were enjoying it.

• Visited August 2013